User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
RoughReady OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
BMW R100GS Aftermarket Sidestand

Howdy. Has anyone been able to locate a superior alternative to the stock R100GS sidestand. Browns won't work. This topic has come up numerous times. Apparently some have been able to fabricate a good replacement and there has been some discussion regarding someone fabricating a batch of them as it's apparent the demand is there. The only aftermarket sidestand I've been able to locate is this one: http://www.boxxerparts.de/xtcshop/pr...-R-80-G-S.html
Has anybody out there bought this one and, if so, please give me your opinion on this stand. They are pricey (roughly $230 or so including shipping) so I would really need some input prior to getting one.

My bike leans way over (even with with about a 3/4" extension plate under the foot) and is not confidence inspiring, especially when fully loaded. I'm assuming it's bent and the mounting attachment/crashbar is bent/worn/stressed as well. I love the Browns stand on my /6 and am not concerned about the ability of the sidestand to auto-retract or not - I just want a decent alternative to the stock setup.

Any tips, input on the Boxxerparts stand, advice, etc. would be appreciated. As mentioned, an ADV search shows that the stock stand is unsatisfactory for many folks but I've not been able to find a solution. Thanks
RoughReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,927
why not just a get a new OEM sidestand or sidestand and crashbar?
Old 01-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
ericrat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Farley

Call the Grand Rapids, MI BMW dealer and see if they have a Farley stand for R100GS. I would suspect they do. You can search Farley sidestand for more information.
ericrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
RoughReady OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Didn't come up with much on a Google search of Farley sidestand. Replacing the OEM setup would cost about $400 (bar, stand, misc. hardware) if I were to get everything. Even if I did replace with OEM I'd still be unhappy with the stock setup (as apparently many folks are), especially after dropping the bike a few more times (as I have in the past) and probably bending/tweaking the setup again.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,116
Migsel from this parish makes one thats been very well received. Send him a PM

or

Boxer supplies do one either frame or crash bar mounted

http://www.bmwboxersupplies.com/prod...roducts_id/115

http://www.bmwboxersupplies.com/prod...roducts_id/109

or

One of the UKGSer's modified his own so that the bike doesn't lean as far over and so that he can put the stand down without getting off the bike. It doesn't flip up on it's own either. http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showpos...7&postcount=17
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
RoughReady OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Migsel answered my e-mail promptly and indicated that the stand, shipped, would cost $320.00. It sounds like what I want and need but unfortunately the price is too steep for me at this time (No job) so I'm still looking for a cheaper alternative. The Boxxerworks stand is about the same price. The excellent Browns sidestands, which fit just about all airheads but the GS's, run about $140.00 new. It seems like there must be a cheaper alternative out there somewhere but maybe not. Anyone know of a fabricator who's building/retrofitting and sidestands? Any other ideas? Thanks

RoughReady screwed with this post 01-06-2010 at 02:27 PM
Old 01-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughReady
...the stand, shipped, would cost $320.00...
Ouch!
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:43 AM   #8
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer
Migsel from this parish makes one thats been very well received. Send him a PM

Rob:

I can't tell from the picture, but is how is that stand fastened to the bike? Like the OEM one, welded to frame, or bolted to something? Looks stout but on my laptop monitor I can't see much.

Thanks,

Tom
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
2Track
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile
Rob:

I can't tell from the picture, but is how is that stand fastened to the bike? Like the OEM one, welded to frame, or bolted to something? Looks stout but on my laptop monitor I can't see much.

Thanks,

Tom
+1 here - more pics and link please. I "fixed" my abused left crash bar, and have a new one on the shelf, but would rather use my old one as long as possible. Same problem here - leans way over especially when loaded. I'm looking into fabbing one out of tubing, but maybe I need to look into more fixing of the crash bar for better alignment. I'd love to see what others have to mount to the frame.
2Track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #10
Alistair Gilmour
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughReady
Howdy. Has anyone been able to locate a superior alternative to the stock R100GS sidestand. Browns won't work. This topic has come up numerous times. Apparently some have been able to fabricate a good replacement and there has been some discussion regarding someone fabricating a batch of them as it's apparent the demand is there. The only aftermarket sidestand I've been able to locate is this one: http://www.boxxerparts.de/xtcshop/pr...-R-80-G-S.html
Has anybody out there bought this one and, if so, please give me your opinion on this stand. They are pricey (roughly $230 or so including shipping) so I would really need some input prior to getting one.

My bike leans way over (even with with about a 3/4" extension plate under the foot) and is not confidence inspiring, especially when fully loaded. I'm assuming it's bent and the mounting attachment/crashbar is bent/worn/stressed as well. I love the Browns stand on my /6 and am not concerned about the ability of the sidestand to auto-retract or not - I just want a decent alternative to the stock setup.

Any tips, input on the Boxxerparts stand, advice, etc. would be appreciated. As mentioned, an ADV search shows that the stock stand is unsatisfactory for many folks but I've not been able to find a solution. Thanks

Actually I think I have one of there side stands s well,(certainly looks similar) it did not suite me as I have lower foot pegs and it made changing gear difficult.
Alistair Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #11
bikecat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,085
Anyone has a pic of a Brown stand? Decided to get rid of the self-retracting one on the R100R.

Cheers
bikecat is offline   Reply With Quote