User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #1
rwiles OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
BMW Modern Airhead Pix Needed

I am planning on preparing an article for the BMW ON on the benefits of spending the 'new bike' fund on buying/building a "Modern Airhead" (i.e. rebuilt, restored, upgraded, etc) instead of blowing the wad on a brand-new middleweight. I just (almost) finished a pristine R100GSPD, upgraded to modern standards and components, and will refer to it in the article. I also plan a companion article that will likely run ont he MOA website, with particulars about my own Modern Airhead; the print article will speak in generalities about the issues that need to be addressed in building a Modern Airhead, and is intended to generate interest in these beloved and venerable machines.

However, I would like to have some high-resolution images of other Modern Airheads to include in the article. If you have a well-composed pix of your Modern Airhead, and would be willing to allow me to use it in the article, please send it to me, at:

roger@rogerwiles.com

Put "Modern Airhead" inthe subject line. PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR NAME, so that photo-credit can be published with the image. Not all images will be used (that's up to the editor, as well as me), and any unused images will be deleted, in order to protect your intellectual property.

Sending the image to me constitutes your permission for me to use the image in the BMW MOA Owners News.

And, THANX! Let's keep the Modern Airhead alive!.............
rwiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,274
can you give more detail on what you're looking for? what is your definition of a modern airhead? if mine is a daily rider does that make it a modern airhead?
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwblake
can you give more detail on what you're looking for? what is your definition of a modern airhead? if mine is a daily rider does that make it a modern airhead?
Some might consider the words "modern" and "airhead" combined, to be an oxymoron.

I think he's looking for bikes that have had the original suspension repaced with parts off a new bike of some sort. That's about the only practical modernisation I can picture on an airhead. Nobody's making computerised engine management systems or fuel injection for them that I've heard of, although maybe there are folks out there who are clever enough to adapt systems from newer bikes to work on an airhead.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,809

Totally Modern Airhead with GPS and Bead Rider.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,185
I think what he's going for is an airhead that has a modern starter, electronic ignition that doesn't leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere, high watt alternator that also doesn't leave you stranded, modern suspension, gauges, heated goodies, auxiliary or HID lights--all the stuff people want these days.

Oh, and probably one that looks nice...which is why I'm not bothering to send in pics of mine

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
CaribouCases
Boulder CO

Oddometer: 1,192
I guess mine won't make it either since they are all stock, unless a Corbin seat qualifies, and of course my luggage. How about a free plug for Caribou luggage for airheads
Made in Boulder, Colorado USA
PH: 303-786-8947 Mon-Sat 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time Zone
CaribouCases is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
criminaldesign
Lets go

Oddometer: 17
I'm with blake, bit more detail. I like where you're going with this. h

R100RS '88
criminaldesign is offline   Reply With Quote