User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
flying_finn OP
motomessiah.blogspot

Oddometer: 145
Should I sell my airhead to get a Harley

Am I crazy. I have the sudden urge to dump my R90/6 and get a Harley ..

Ok .. I'm ready to hear it ...
flying_finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
MayerMR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Let's see a picture of the current bike and of what you want to trade it for. I'm personally not a harley hater but do think some are kind of ugly/stereotypical. I don't own a BMW but think the uniqueness of an opposed german twin may outweigh the fairly common v-twin. But then again I get the new toy itch pretty often myself...

I think I effectively added nothing to this thread
1967 Honda CM91 -> CT90 conversion
1986 BMW K75 - Storage until I figure out a way to tell the wife
MayerMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,437
You just have to get a new toy now and then. Again it all depends on what you like. I have owned many air heads, oil heads, K bikes, and Harley's. All of them are fun and have their own persona.

So are you crazy? Maybe not.

Marc
Old 02-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,464
Two words: assless chaps.

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
Yarddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Yes. The Harleys are better engineered by folks with some common sense. By all means, go for it...or do what I did...get both...I'm new to Beemers, NOT new to Harleys, and the first time you do an oil change, you'll find out what I'm atalkin' about...
Yarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
Who cares? The worst that can happen is you'll have a broader education.
Heck- you might even like it.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
Pelicanglider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
OK. I'm on beer #4 and my team is paying in the Superbowl tomorrow (WHO DAT!!). I've got a 1977 R100S and a few months ago I thought, "I own too much and I need to unload some things". The first thing I thought I might get rid of was my BMW. So I put it on eBay and it didn't get what I thought it should. That was just a few months ago, and man, am I glad it didn't sell. I brought it up the Smokies with me last November and I had great time riding it. After 250 miles in the mountains, I was pulling into the driveway of our cabin I hit a patch leaves and lost the front tire. Cracked the fairing and the valve cover so dissassembly to repair the damage and rediscovered the elegant simplicity of these machines. All I can say is I am so glad nobody offered enoough money to part with this bike. It is repaired now and looks better than it did before and I'm making plans to ride it to the Barber Vintage Fest in October!

Harleys are all American and I fully understand wanting to experience the American motorcycle. But I suggest you don't sell your Airhead to do it. Eaglerider is a great way to make sure before you make a final decision.

GO SAINTS GO!!! WHO DAT!! WAAAHOOO!!!
Pelicanglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
MiltonHog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Sure why not, The newer the better as 09 and newer bikes have a bigger better frame, Brembo ABS brakes. Fuel injection and great reliability. I suggest renting for a day whatever model family is on your short list. I am riding the FLHTC and every one has been better than the last.

Harley dealers are in nearly every city and small town. Parts and good techs are easily found. I really like the creature comfort and good stereo. They get great fuel mileage when ridden at or near the limits. I am on my eighth FLHTC since 1986 after moving from Gold Wings. I ride about 20,000 miles per year and mostly have been able to do reasonable maintainance with no substantial issues.

They are good comfortable and reliable. What is not to like. Enjoy.
MiltonHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_finn
Am I crazy. I have the sudden urge to dump my R90/6 and get a Harley ..

Ok .. I'm ready to hear it ...
This just makes me think of what I told my brother when he bought his 78 BMW R100RS Motorsport, but the comparisons change.

I told him not to expect great acceleration when compared to even the Japanese standards, but it would cruise at high speeds just fine. That they handle good, but not on par with any Japanese sportbike. But it really didn't matter for his riding. So he was perfect for the R100.

You can't expect a Harley to cruise at the speeds your BMW can as easily and comfortably, nor can you expect it to handle like your BMW. What you will find is that the Harley has more sex appeal to some women and that appeals to many men. I know a few guys that are single and only own a Harley so they can use them to pick up women... and it works! There is a bit of a similar effect for teen/early twenties girls for sportbikes too. The BMWs for the most part don't have this effect.

Personally, I'd keep the BMW and buy the Harley if you can. It only makes sense, they are at opposite ends of the spectrum to an extent. I met up with a number of riders when working at the dealership, who had both Harleys and GoldWings. The Harleys weren't the tourers, more the customs. The riders' comments were that the Harleys were what they screwed around and cruised on, the GoldWings were when they were doing some serious riding, especially when going any distance with the wives on the back. I think you'd find similar experiences but in different directions. If you want to ride all day long on winding roads or simply put on a whole lot of miles on a trip the BMW is the ticket, otherwise the Harley could be fun.

But all in all, it's whatever you want to do. After all, there are riders scraping pegs on cruisers and touring riders on 500cc bikes as well as riders trying to off road streetbikes and riders trying to long distance tour on more off road oriented dual sports. It can be done, just how much will you put up with.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:00 AM   #10
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,885
First I don't like harleys....
No wait let me take that back. What I really don't like are the mindless herd that follows the image and costuming that surrounds the brand.

That said the late model bikes are good for what they are.
Yes they don't handle as well as sportbike. That has as much to do with them not being a sportbike as it does with them being a Harley.

They hold their oil in for the most part.

They stop

They start

and now with the economy the price of these bikes is getting closer to the worth of these bikes.

Oh and to the OP
Look for a FI bike they run a lot better then the carbed bikes
Old 02-07-2010, 09:21 AM   #11
merle-bo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
been there.....

bought an 06 ultra and sold an '83 r80rt. now i'm looking to trade back to a big guzzi (missed an sp1000 ) or something. taking a hit on davidson value but went 7,000 miles in two week and 34k to date without a lick of trouble. couldn't ask for more for what it is, did 100 mph for 1 hr in idaho/montana. change is change whether for the good or not? lol enjoy whatever you do.
merle-bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #12
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
F**K NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers
Old 02-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #13
merle-bo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
programs

oh, and did i mention my fly and ride program? lol just in case an '06 ultra trips yer trigger.
merle-bo is offline   Reply With Quote