User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
Motowalt OP
UNSTOPPABLE!

Oddometer: 423
F800GS ABS problem - need help

Hey guys, I did a search, but unsuccessfully.

Just installed new tires (Heidenau K60's from the previous Battlewings) and now the abs light comes on and the front brakes pulse as if abs is engaging and the lever feel is different.

Getting ready to head out to Big Bend and need to get this remedied asap.

Can anyone please advise?

thanks!

Motowalt screwed with this post 02-24-2010 at 05:05 PM
Motowalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
LILGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motowalt
Hey guys, I did a search, but unsuccessfully.

Just installed new tires and now the abs light comes on and the front brakes pulse as if abs is engaging and the lever feel is different.

Getting ready to head out to Big Bend and need to get this remedied asap.

Can anyone please advise?

thanks!

were the ABS sensors damaged when rims were removed off bike?

have a physical look and inspect wiring and sensors..

if the tyres are matching the placard there shouldn't be a problem!

LILGS screwed with this post 02-24-2010 at 04:03 PM
LILGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Motowalt OP
UNSTOPPABLE!

I don't believe so...

I removed the rear sensor, but forgot to remove the front one before wheel removal...however, I was using a front Pit Bull stand and it came off and went back on smoothly...
Old 02-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
Motowalt OP
UNSTOPPABLE!

Pissed

I went back an cleaned the front and rear ABS sensors...no nicks or damage seen in the sensor or wires.

Also pulled and re-installed the front calipers.

ABS still engaging/pulsing when front brake is applied.

After a few tries, the ABS light comes on as if it's showing the ABS is now disengaged and the brakes then work fine. (but I assume I have no ABS at that point...)

Any ideas?

I'll be riding mostly dirt this weekend, so nt having ABS should't be an issue, other than I don't know the cause...
Old 02-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
LILGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motowalt
I went back an cleaned the front and rear ABS sensors...no nicks or damage seen in the sensor or wires.

Also pulled and re-installed the front calipers.

ABS still engaging/pulsing when front brake is applied.

After a few tries, the ABS light comes on as if it's showing the ABS is now disengaged and the brakes then work fine. (but I assume I have no ABS at that point...)

Any ideas?

I'll be riding mostly dirt this weekend, so nt having ABS should't be an issue, other than I don't know the cause...
tell us a bit about the tyres you put on! sizes etc
LILGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
Motowalt OP
UNSTOPPABLE!

The new tires are semi-knobbies.
90-90 21" front (stock size)
140-80 17" rear

I also put the recommended amount of Ride On liquid tire sealant into each tire
(5 oz front, 8 oz rear)...this is the first time I've used Ride On...

There is no appareant vibration from the sealant...the wheels feel balanced.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I'm glad they figured it out!
Most of the time the ABS is fine, but there was this one time I was forced of the road on to a short section of dirt/gravel and the ABS kicked in inhibiting me from locking up the back wheel... I quickly saw that I was going to go through the guard rail at the end of the cutout if I didn't come up with another plan ... I was cussing the ABS the entire time ..........

I ended up squeezing back onto the edge of the asphalt right behind the jerk that had cut me off and managed to save things ...............

I think I would change the programming of the rear ABS to add a "rule" that says if the rider has attempted to have the REAR tire locked up for more than (say) 3 seconds ... go ahead and let him do it.......
In such situations its not easy to react right, similar thing happened to me just that it was a steep slope with gravel and at its end there was a paved road with lots of traffic. Unfortunately I stopped the engine on that hill, took a brake and went on - forgetting to switch the ABS off. When I tried to brake I realized that I would not make it and most probably cross the highway with loads of traffic. Not good. I squeezed both brake levers and went down without loosing much speed and I was staring at the cars crossing like a hypnotized cow. Shortly before the end of the slope I heard a voice saying: kill that engine fucking idiot!

So I did, and the ABS was off immediately. Sure the engine cut out too but I really did not need it but could block the rear wheel and brake hard on the front. I just(!) made it :)

Cheers Steve
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:18 AM   #8
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Now that I think about it and try to understand the technical background I wonder if this was a malfunction. Th elonger I think about it the more I am convinced that the ABS should work when the engine is killed via kill-switch...
Cant check it with my bike at the moment, its too cold and I have no wheels installed...

CU
Steve
Old 02-21-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,128
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
Now that I think about it and try to understand the technical background I wonder if this was a malfunction. Th elonger I think about it the more I am convinced that the ABS should work when the engine is killed via kill-switch...
Cant check it with my bike at the moment, its too cold and I have no wheels installed...

CU
Steve
I wasn't thinking clearly about it either, but now with coffee in hand instead of ...

Maybe what really happened is that with engine off and the clutch ENGAGED the back wheel will not be turning (in gravel) you'll just be dragging the back wheel along regardless of what the ABS is saying because the engine is just holding the rear wheel from turning via the drive chain, and braking action could be somewhat modulated by the clutch ...

But yeah... understanding what ABS does with ignition on, engine off is something I now think I should understand better

JRWooden screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 08:19 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

I tried to search the net yesterday but found only a lot of bullshit concerning cars. Nothing about bikes. I wonder if someone could tell me if the ABS module works only when the engine is running or if it works when ignition is on, which is the case when I cut the engine with the kill-switch.
A mate meant that once the speed drops below 5mph the ABS is inoperative, but I really know that I was much quicker. End of March I can test this, I will just kill the engine and see what happens when I brake hard, I will test this with the key and kill-switch.
Maybe a wiring or schematic of the system may help. I really want to know what was going on. Till we chatted about it I did not even think that I might have misunderstood something. I can remember that I was able to brake harder with the front brake too....

But you know, when old men think they can remember....
Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #11
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
I tried to search the net yesterday but found only a lot of bullshit concerning cars. Nothing about bikes. I wonder if someone could tell me if the ABS module works only when the engine is running or if it works when ignition is on, which is the case when I cut the engine with the kill-switch.
A mate meant that once the speed drops below 5mph the ABS is inoperative, but I really know that I was much quicker. End of March I can test this, I will just kill the engine and see what happens when I brake hard, I will test this with the key and kill-switch.
Maybe a wiring or schematic of the system may help. I really want to know what was going on. Till we chatted about it I did not even think that I might have misunderstood something. I can remember that I was able to brake harder with the front brake too....

But you know, when old men think they can remember....
The ABS functions with the engine on or off and regardless of kill position switch. It also continues to work for about 2 seconds after the key is switched off till the canbus gets around to sending a 9flag to the ABS module. It also functions down to 3Km on an F8, much slower then 5MPH

That said, I haven't actually read what issue your talking about but will go hunting for it :)
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #12
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
... But you know, when old men think they can remember....
Sometimes they can even remember shit that didn't happen
I do it with some regularity...
Old 02-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #13
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Sometimes they can even remember shit that didn't happen
I do it with some regularity...
Have we ever met?

Am just asking as it seems you know me so well
Old 02-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #14
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Have we ever met?

Am just asking as it seems you know me so well
I don't think so, but ... I could have forgotten....
Old 04-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #15
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry, I know I am indeed late but well all the snow and ice made it impossible to even get close to my garage

Well, I have to admit that I told you all bullshit, so accept my sincere apolgies for that.
Dont try to kill your engine with the kill button to work around "the forgotten ABS deactivation". It will NOT work.

I was in the garage jumped on the fat F8, in second gear I killed the engine and guess: yes the ABS worked! Front and rear

Mh, as Mr. Macklemore (in his song "thrift shop") says, this is f*****g awesome....

Regards
Steve