User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #1
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,404
RotoPax on R1200GS

Here's the 1/4" Aluminum Plate, powder coated black that replaces the passenger seat. (6) 5MM 1 1/2" screws needed to accommodate new thickness.
I designed the plate to follow the contour of the rider seat...and leave the 'rear' attachment point for the passenger seat for future possible use. Note that the other (6) tie down slots on the passenger base remain available for continued use.

NOTE: More pictures below!

Photobucket

I wanted 4 Gallons of extra capacity so I got (2) 2 Gallon RotoPax, along with the required Extension, "L" mounting bracket and the LOCKING version of the handle.

When mounted...there's still a need for some additional support at the front of the second mounted 'pax' so I designed a 'support bar' to provide such support.
This picture shows the "L" bracket mounted toward the rear of the bike...wouldn't want to have the 'pax' the first thing that's encountered should someone/somebody inadvertently decide to introduce themselves to my bike in an abrupt manner. Read as 'rear end me'.

Also mounted a thin rubber gasket between the 8 gauge STEEL "L" bracket and the 1/4" ALUMINUM plate to prevent any 'metallic interaction' otherwise known as corrosion.
Found the 6" x 6" x 1/16" gasket material at Lowe's. It's in the plumbing aisle. Called PACKING SHEETS. Cost: 98 cents.
Made by Plumb Pak: Item #25548, Lowe's Item No: 046224255468
URL TO PLUMB PAK'S 2006 CATALOG: http://www.keeneymfg.com/catalogs/PPCat2006.pdf (GO TO PAGE 153...BOTTOM OF PAGE

Photobucket

And, finally completed project.
Please note that 'fillers' on pax are on the OPPOSITE side from the muffler...minimizing ignition possibility.
Also...have called Jason at RotoPax and swapped Pax with VENTS at the BOTTOM for VENTLESS paxs.
Be sure to get the VENTLESS versions if you plan on mounting the pax HORIZONTALLY.
I was concerned that the VENT'ed versions might leak...being on the bottom...that might be a problem.

Photobucket

Another beauty shot of completed project:
Photobucket

The mounted pax still leave 8 1/2" between pax and rider seat...room enough for a big NORTHFACE duffel which arrives tomorrow.

Photobucket
Now...off to Prudhoe Bay this June, 2010!

Auxiliary Fuel Tank, Tour Tank,

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 06-27-2010 at 09:33 AM
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
The AOL links don't work - they ask you to be logged in.... can I have your user ID and Password? Just kidding - please don't post them!

Perhaps I'll get to see this in person this summer when I do my 2nd attempt at Prudhoe.

EDIT: The changes you did work great now!

ADVRIDER Discount: BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks

hasenwerk screwed with this post 03-04-2010 at 01:15 PM
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,840
Photobucket is free. Once you've got the images there, they give a set of address to them - copy the one that says "direct link", then here in the reply to thread window find the little yellow icon with the mts in it, then paste in that direct link address.

If you are tooooo popular, you'll exceed the free bandwidth - but its worth a try, and I haven't posted anything that's pushed the limits yet.

Get'er done! I wanna see these pics since I want to do something similar!

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Picture 'stuff' all 'sorted'...as they say in Australia.

Thanks for your help with getting them from my computer to AdvRider!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
Lensgrinder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
That's a nice set up. I plan on going that route as well.
Lensgrinder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
The setup looks nice, but my concern would be 20kg of weight that is now sitting quite high up on the bike.

Would you not be better off putting the can on your panniers to put the weight down lower?

ADVRIDER Discount: BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
flightestman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
That plate would be great for fixing a mount that wil hold my dog

That plate would be great to then put a kayak flat on it but I'm not sure if the adventure bags would be flush with you mount.
flightestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
RetrogradE
Banned

Oddometer: 1,226
I've mounted these tanks every way possible. If I wasn't on my phone typing this with one thumb I'd post a few threads of my work.

Anyway, I've got quite a bit of RotoPax stock that I'd love to dispatch before Christmas.

PM me for mounting details or I can post-up tomorrow.

SKD
RetrogradE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetrogradE View Post
I've mounted these tanks every way possible. If I wasn't on my phone typing this with one thumb I'd post a few threads of my work.

Anyway, I've got quite a bit of RotoPax stock that I'd love to dispatch before Christmas.

PM me for mounting details or I can post-up tomorrow.

SKD
Get to it, man! We all want to see some RP pics!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
RetrogradE
Banned

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
Get to it, man! We all want to see some RP pics!
Sorry, fellas. I've been busy with the day job.

I've mounted these a few different ways but I only have two examples from bikes I've owned in the past. I try and do mods that function and are also inexpensive. Certainly there are better / more secure ways to mount these, but these are just examples.

This is a set-up I did on my 1150GSA. I don't really need extra fuel but I did a trip to Baja about 8 months ago and wanted to take some along. I did this Pelican / Rotopax trunk for under $100. I got the Pelican used on fleabay and I get factory second Rotopax tanks from the owner who lives near me. I'm selling some of these factory seconds now. . . look below for details.

Basically, I didn't use a mounting plate for this--I just went to Lowes and got a $5 steel plate and cut it down making a square. I sandwiched the bottom of the Pelican with two plates of steel, marked it, and drilled the holes. I put two bolts with butterfly nuts on the bottom (attached to the stock trunk plate), and used the stock bolts that secure the trunk plate to the rear sub-frame. I don't have pics of that right now (I'm out of town for Thanksgiving).

And here's a set-up I did on my 800GS. This bike is still featured on the slide-show pictures on the main rotopax site.

When I get back into town next Monday I can post a tutorial on how I mounted the trunk--complete with regular washers, rubber washers, Rotopax mount and tank.

MY BLACK FRIDAY SALE--PRICES GOOD UNTIL I'M SOLD OUT:

I have about 15 sets of Rotopax factory seconds--these are Red, 1 Gallon tanks. They are unused. You might get one of two imperfections: the outside of the tank might have tiny white bubbles that are practically imperceptible unless I pointed them out. After a couple of uses, you won't see them anyway. 2. Some of the inner-necks are missing some of the coating that the EPA requires on the US tanks. Sometimes these get a little "flakey" I usually wash them out and run with them as-is. Never had a problem.

Also, these come with the Yellow regular spouts, NOT the Eco-Friendly spouts that don't work. If you order from Rotopax, they HAVE to send you Eco spouts, but not me. Ha, suck it EPA.

The mounting hardware is Factory First gear which I don't get discounts on, but I have in stock and can ship as sets (preferred).

Normally I sell the tanks for $35 but my black friday sale is $29.99 for the tank, $25 for the mount.

Shipping for a complete set--tank and mount--$10 standard shipping (parcel post) or $12 PRIORITY with tracking numbers.

I'm out of town but will ship in order of payment first thing Monday.

Paypal is preferred (gift is best, but regular payments are fine too). If you use "gift" be sure and put your shipping address and what you ordered in the notes.

You can PM me, or email me or paypal me directly at davismfg at gmail

Thanks fellas,

Steven
RetrogradE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:10 AM   #11
Motorman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
It is my understanding that it should clear the brake caliber. Anyone else have a thought?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
srpuywa
Big 'G'

Oddometer: 423
Took 20 minutes to install and is out of the way

Old 02-20-2013, 04:29 AM   #13
srpuywa
Big 'G'

Oddometer: 423
couldn't mount it inside the right rack of my touratech without a spacer or something
Old 03-04-2013, 12:27 AM   #14
tommyvdv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407

This might also work to attach a support for the back plate? Any thoughts?
tommyvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #15
LaurelPerryOnLand OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyvdv View Post

This might also work to attach a support for the back plate? Any thoughts?
Appears that THAT plate is only attached at the top and is being used to mount a GT Moto Tool tube (now defunct company, btw).
You obviously would have to get ride of the tool tube to mount the RotoPax...your plan correct?

If it were my bike...I'd create a LARGER mounting plate that is attached at BOTH the TOP and BOTTOM of the rack.
Don't know what they're called but I call the CONDUIT clamps with the rubber insert and 1 attaching point. Use those top and bottom and you'll have a much nicer mounting plate.
Much more stability.

BTW...these clamps could be used to mount the plate...they should look very familiar to Vario mount users:
http://www.stauffusa.com/customer/st...mps_Access.pdf

TOP only mounting might induce premature fatigue at the mounting point(s).
And you don't want you RotoPax jettisoning off unexpectedly or BREAKING off ONE of the mounting points shown and becoming entangled in the Wheel!

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 03-04-2013 at 06:58 AM