Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
raptorrapture OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Belstaff Trialmaster by J. Crew

Hey guys,
New member here!

J. Crew is starting to sell Belstaff jackets. They have the Roadmaster and the Trialmaster (original) for $595 and $695, respectively.

For those that have the original Trialmaster, what is the difference between the one J. Crew is selling and the Belstaff Classic Tourist Trophy Jacket that British Motorcycle Gear sells? I'd rather spend $595 than $695 if I have to, but I'd like to make sure they're essentially the same jacket before doing so.

Thanks in advance!
raptorrapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,838
Please confine your vendor posts to VENDORS where this thread has been moved, as this site is spam free.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
Trophy Mike
w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer: 796
Screw it. Get our Barbour International waxed cotton jacket for $379. Better hardware, timeless appearance and worn every day by Steve McQueen and people who thought they were Steve McQueen who we're sure never shopped at J.Crew. Still made in England of all places.

http://www.trophycycleapparel.com/in...roducts_id=253
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ

Trophy Mike screwed with this post 03-04-2010 at 04:05 PM
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
Lasermaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
From the British Motorcycle Gear website:

"The Belstaff Classic Tourist Trophy Motorcycle Jacket is a reproduction of Belstaff's Classic Trialmaster Motorcycle Jacket. With the addition of Level 1 Armour ...(which makes it) worthy of its new 'Tourist Trophy' name."

It appears to be a replica of the classic waxed cotton Trialmaster with the addition of functional armor at the shoulder and elbows.

The website indicates that it was made in Italy. Although Belstaff's heritage is in the UK, it is an Italian company today. I believe their offices are in Venice. You can read about the company's history here:
http://www.belstaff.com/index.php?op...142&Itemid=374

The fact that BMG's jackets are manufactured in Italy is a good sign. It looks like the real deal. (You'll notice J. Crew's jacket is also manufactured in Italy).

I was pleasantly surprised to notice BMG is also carrying the Belstaff Long Way Down jacket. I tried this on at the Belstaff shop in London last fall, and I was really impressed. It's expensive, but you get what you pay for.

It looks like Belstaff has transitioned from "functional" to "fashionable" and back to "functional" again. Great stuff.

I think the folks from BMG post in the vendor forum. Maybe they'll comment on your thread, or maybe you can track them down and PM them for more information.

If you end up ordering the BMG Tourist Trophy jacket, please give us a review.
Lasermaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:20 PM   #5
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,712
Geez, I bought mine in 1990 for 100$, a made in England model.
Still have it. It's ok, I used to to go to the Isle on Man in 1994. It sure stains the shit out of a pair of jeans though.
Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:17 AM   #6
meteorite
MoreDust

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G.
It sure stains the shit out of a pair of jeans though.
Steve
Exercise the sphincter and you won't need belstaf to take care of it. Can get pricy.
meteorite is offline   Reply With Quote