User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
mhpr262 OP

Oddometer: 3,546
From Erding, Bavaria, to Pilsen, Czech Republic

Hi everybody,

tomorrow Im going to go on a little two-day trip from my hometown of Erding, that is around 20 miles east-north-east of Munich, to Pilsen in the Czech Republic. Im planning to explore Pilsen on the first day, return to Germany to stay in a bed&breakfast and on the next day try out the famed roads of the "Bayerischer Wald" (Bavarian Forest), the border region between Germany and the Czech Republic.

I hope to be able to begin my ride report on Friday.

See you!
mhpr262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
mhpr262 OP

heres a picture of my bike. I took it because somebody from the German bandit forum wanted to see how the swingarm mounted mud/chainguard combo looks on the bike, hence the propped-up sidestand.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
mhpr262 OP

So there, Im back again. Now here comes the ride report:

The first thing of interest I encountered was the nuclear powerplant that is near the river Isar, its one of the largest and most powerful in the world.

The way to the Bavarian Forest was otherwise pretty uneventful, boring, straight roads. I guess I could have taken smaller byroads, but my schedule was a bit tight. I wanted to do most of my riding in Czechoslovakia. Here the first mountains appear in the hazy distance.

A bit closer:

On my way to the border crossing at Bayrisch Eisenstein I pass through a few villages.

Immoving further and furter into the mountains, towards one of the highest peaks in this mountain range, the "Groer Arber"

Here it is. People were still busy skiing. I was slowly beginning to realize I should have brought something warmer than a thin pullover and a summer leather jacket..

a bit after the "Arber"

When I looked at this foto on the LCD display of my digital camera, I noticed a sign on the display I had never seen before. It said "IN". Hmmmm...what could that mean? "Put me IN your pocket, Im cold....?" No, unlikely.... then it dawned on me: It meant "internal memory"! I had forgotten to put in the memory card, which was still on my nightstand beside my bed, and all the pictures were being stored on the measly 20mb on the cameras internal memory - in shitty quality, and I had only twenty pics left! FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU.....!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
mhpr262 OP

Talking

This was a no-go of course, so I found this little shop near the German-Czechoslovakian border that sold SD cards. I paid 12 for a 2gb card, that was about double the price Id have had to pay in a large electronics store here. I was a bit consoled by the fact that the card turned out to be a super fast one and stored the picture almost immediately, instead of the twenty-second wait I had to endure with my old card. So, I went to my bike, put away my wallet, took out the camera and tried to insert the new card...only to find it missing. I thought for a moment and went back into the shop, where I had only pocketed my change a minute ago, but not the card, which was still lying on the counter.

Definitely not my day that day, I was going to have to watch out...

Next I crossed the border. I had secretly been hoping to catch a glimpse of all the hookers that allegedly hang out in droves near this road, but there was nothing, not even a mini-skirt, so no pics for you

Best I can do is this pic of a rack filled with dozens of glassbubbles, apparently intended for garden decoration or the like - shiiiiiiiiny!

Naturally I took a wrong turn right after the border, so here are just a few shots of random Czech landscapes...

Here in Hartmanice I found out that I had gone in the wrong direction, but it was no big deal. I had a few bites to eat and a little milk and took some pics.

I guess this dilapidated house is a remnant of the Soviet era:

A few kilometers further on I came to this railway crossing. A very peaceful scene, with a few cars waiting on each side. They had all turned their engines off, patiently waiting for the train to pass through. I got off my bike, walked a few paces, stretched my legs and took a pic of this mechanism that seems to predate World War II:

I have certainly never seen a barrier made from wood before. I was still contemplating this contraption and how it was supposed to work when it gave gentle hum and the barrier started to lift. The bloody train had already passed through before I arrived and the other drivers had just been waiting for the barrier to lift!!! I sprinted back to my bike, which I had parked right in front of the line of cars, and got on my way in a hurry

I saw these in some minor and major towns I passed through on my way to Pilsen:

Pilsen itself was a bit of a letdown - no historical city center or sights to speak of, as far as I could see. Some nice buildings, but that was about as far as it went.

The only thing worth mentioning is that I managed to put a good sized dent in my exhaust header when I tried to ride across a curbstone that was a wee bit to high for the ground clearance of my bandit. FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU...! Yes, definitely not my day. Does anybody know how such dents can be removed?
Old 04-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,842
There's always something beautiful to see on European rides!! Thanks for sharing the ride and the history with us..

As for your header muffler, there's nothing you can do for it yourself, but you might get some professional help to see if they can un-dent it.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #6
mhpr262 OP

I took a different route back as I wanted to see more of the backcountry. I turned west in Prestice and made my way back to Germany through Merklin and Domazlice. Those Czech country roads are wonderfully twisty, with very little traffic. A pity they are so bumpy its not really fun to ride there with my big beast. A KTM 690 SuperMoto or an Aprilia Dorsoduro would be ideal bikes for these roads.

All of the landscape was like this, open country with gently rolling hills that offered a great view of the land. I finally made my way back to Germany and crossed the border at Furth im Wald. Here is my bike, looking quite forlorn on the huge deserted parking lot of what was once a major customs station. It was simply abandoned when all border controls in the EU were abolished.

I was pretty worn out by then and my left wrist was hurting from working the clutch the whole time on the twisty roads, so I I was glad when I finally reached the place where I had booked a room the day before. It was a privately run bed&breakfast place, the room cost 30 for a single night, its a lot cheaper if you stay two or more nights. Still, it was a fair price, and breakfast the next morning was good and plentiful, too.

The next day was to be spent on exploring the "Bayrischer Wald". Its less than 150 miles from where I live, one of the most famous areas in Germany and I had never really been there before. Shame on me, I was firmly planning to remedy that. I simply decided to ride the whole length of the "Wald" fom north (where I already was) to south (Passau). And it truly is one of the most beautiful areas in Germany. Some pics taken along the route:

An inn and hotel at the "Great Arber", one of the highest - or maybe the highest - peaks in the region, and a center of the skiing and tourist industry.

The famous "Arbersee".

I took a route from the Arber through Bodenmais, Langdorf, Zwiesel, Frauenau, Spiegelau and Grafenau. That is a large part of the officially so called "Road of Glass". This part of Germany was very important region for glassmaking, and for many centuries a sizeable portion of all glassware in Europe (and elsewhere) was produced here.The raw materials and finished products were transported along the same route I was following.

Should you ever get the chance, I recommend you try out this road. Its not only very scenic, its also an absolute blast to ride, often with curve chasing curve, over hills and into small valleys. At times it almost felt like a rollercoaster. I had some real fun there.

I finally arrived in Passau, one of the most beautiful cities in Germany. Those river cruiseships often travel the whole length of the river Danube, all the way to the Black Sea.

And from Passau I rode straight home, nothing more exciting happened! I hope you guys enjoyed my little report. Should you ever come to Germany and have a bike at your disposal, give me a call (a pm, rather) and well see if I can show you some nice roads. Bye!