Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
RiderJones OP
sketchy

Oddometer: 263
Day tripping...Nelson to Kaslo

Check out the next section of this RR at:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573399
Where I'm on a mission to find the largest Rainbow Trout in the World...which happens to be in the Kootenays!

I recently bought a new cheapo wide angle lens for my little Canon G10 camera. I thought I'd try it out and do an afternoon ride right around home, which is just outside Nelson BC, following Kootenay Lake up to Kaslo.
Now, you could do this ride in an hour or so, as its only 70km or 43 miles, but if you want to stop and poke around, eat things, take pictures, fumble with camera settings etc, well, you can make a whole day of a short ride!
I started right on Baker Street in Nelson, in fact, right in front of a cafe that we built years ago, then sold, called 'The Dominion Cafe'.

You could also start at Oso Negro, which has a great patio and good people watching too.

Before heading out of town, a quick stop down at Lakeside Park. This is the bridge over to the North Shore, locally known as BOB (Big Orange Bridge)

This is the beach at Lakeside Park ... if its hot, its a great place to have a swim.
Having said that, their are lots of better beaches up the lake.....

heading over the bridge, a quick iphone shot (I've decide not to make a habit of this shooting-while-riding thing....too dangerous!)

Ummm...this was a crappy picture, shooting into the sun, I'm hoping to distract you by making it SEPIA...

Had to stop and get my mail. The boat thingy in the background is the top decks of the old sternwheeler 'Nasookin', which was dragged up onto shore when the old boat was scuttled. Someone now lives in it. Ok, not someone, Merv, Merv lives there. Hi Merv!

Around the next bend is Blaylock Mansion....it was built by a local coal baron back in the 20's I believe. Its run as a B&B now. Rumor has it that the copper roof is worth as much as the whole property, although that sounds a little far fetched!

As you cruise along at this time of year, you will notice an occasional 'skunky' smell. Now of course, this could actually BE a skunk. It could also be a grow op, but in this case its Skunk Cabbage....sort of reminds me of someone giving the ADV salute!

resorting to sepia again...sorry, I have to cheat as much as possible to make up for my shortcomings as a photographer. These are both stunning rides...3A goes over Kootenay Lake via ferry...down to Creston...a beautiful twisty ride...which I will do another RR on soon. We are going 31, Nord.

I stopped on a side road before the ferry to check out this old 'Mike Mulligan Steam Shovel' kind of digger.(remember that kid's book?) Loved the colors and the amazing old logo.

Under the boardwalk...(sing along!) Actually its the loading ramp for the ferry. Sing anyway.

Its my day off, and I'll eat mini burgers if I want too. The 'Dock and Duck' Pub has a stupid name, but they have decent food and a GREAT patio. And beer.

The infamous Toad Rock Motorcycle camp ground.

The scenery along here is about as stunning as it gets, anywhere. The biggest problem is trying to keep your eyes on the road with views like this. I nipped down to the boat ramp at Ainsworth to get off the bike and check out this view.

Across the road... in the tiny hamlet of Ainsworth. They first discovered a huge whack of silver here back in the late 1800's.....and, conveniently located beside the big pile of silver was a hotspring! WTF, somebody was packing hoseshoes that day! The cave at the hotspring is very cool (errr hot, but you know what i mean)...this would be a great spot to hit at the end of a long ride.

Great old buildings....

peering through the dusty windows...I think this is still open in the summer as a general store/museum.

Moving on down the road....you get to Woodbury. Basically a marina, store, campground hotel.... and look! The Ministry of Forests made a road for me!
Thanks, I just knew you would do something good with my tax money.

Now you could spend a lifetime following logging roads in this neck of the woods, but I was just looking for a good view.

yeaahhh, like this!

Next stop, Mirror lake. I went down to the beach as this guy was just coming in on his boat. Really nice guy. We talked about boats, his groovy old 4x4 truck (can be yours for 5k), bikes, Turkish Sheep dogs (he has some, says they kill coyotes regularly) and goats. Apparently he has goats.

This was the sticker on the truck window. Very Canadian sounding bike shop eh? I'll leave it up to you to try and figure out a connection between bikes and beavers.

Kaslo! What a great town.

iphone shot. Espresso Shot. Ok, Cappucino actually. And a cookie.

There is a GREAT used/vintage bookshop just across the street form the Moyie Paddlewheeler. It was closed today...I think its a bit early in the season.

The pride of Kaslo...the Moyie Sternwheeler. It must have been fantastic to travel on boats like this, up and down Kootenay Lake, stopping to take on fruit from the local orchards, miners, ladies with parasols. If its open, definitely drop a couple dollars for the tour, its well worth it.

I met ADV Inmate BillD at the Esso. What a cool bike! I've never been up close and personal with a Moto Guzzi Stelvio. He had it totally tricked out for a big trip he is planning up to Alaska.

Heading back to Nelson, If you take the 'back road' from Kaslo, you can get in a few km's of nice gravel...it hooks back up with the highway...too bad it doesnt go further...I like it.

I'll try and do more local rides and post the results...

RiderJones screwed with this post 04-28-2010 at 08:56 AM
RiderJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 614
Thanks! That went great with my afternoon coffee. The Kootneys is truely special.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
RiderJones OP
sketchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.Biker
Thanks! That went great with my afternoon coffee. The Kootneys is truely special.
You're welcome! Great riding to be had in this corner of the world, that's fer sure...
Old 04-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
kahoon
who's yer daddy??

Oddometer: 2,392
i hope you know how lucky you are to live in one of the most beautiful parts of this country!! rented a bike in cgy a couple of summers ago, and toured the interior one of the most memorable rides of my life

BOB in the background
kahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
Awesome day in the West Kootenays isnt it? How you liking that Rallye pro 3 Jacket?
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #6
RiderJones OP
sketchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenay kid
Awesome day in the West Kootenays isnt it? How you liking that Rallye pro 3 Jacket?
Yeah, great weather! I agonized over which jacket to buy for the last few months. I tried on quite a few different ones, read reviews, asked around....and when I tried on the Rallye Pro 3 , I knew it was the one for me. It fits really well, not generic and boxy like some of the others I tried, but more 'tailored'. It has really impressive armor in it, which you cant really feel when wearing the jacket. I also really like the venting system, and the gore- tex liner. I am really pleased with it, despite the eye watering price! I paid $850 from Blackfoot Cycle in Calgary, they couriered it to me for free.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
RiderJones OP
sketchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahoon
i hope you know how lucky you are to live in one of the most beautiful parts of this country!! rented a bike in cgy a couple of summers ago, and toured the interior one of the most memorable rides of my life

BOB in the background
Hey Kahoon... Glad you enjoyed your ride out west! I'm usually available for rides next time you're out this way...

RiderJones screwed with this post 04-19-2010 at 09:04 AM
Old 04-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #8
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderJones
Had to stop and get my mail. The boat thingy in the background is the top decks of the old sternwheeler 'Nasookin', which was dragged up onto shore when the old boat was scuttled. Someone now lives in it. Ok, not someone, Merv, Merv lives there. Hi Merv!

Thanks for a great ride report, RJ.

My wife and I had breakfast at The Treehouse in Kaslo last month while on our honeymoon. Nice town, terrific spot for breakfast

We both looked at each other and blurted "What a cool place to live!" when we drove past that house. Good to hear a little of the story behind it.

Happy Trails!

Lornce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:56 PM   #9
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,959
Nice! I'm doing a Kootenays ride in a couple of weeks with JuneauDave. Thanks for getting me all hot and bothered!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #10
RiderJones OP
sketchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker
Nice! I'm doing a Kootenays ride in a couple of weeks with JuneauDave. Thanks for getting me all hot and bothered!

Hey Squonker - Hope you hit some good weather when you're through here...25 degrees today! Downside is that they are predicting a nasty forest fire season.
I enjoyed your RR's!
Old 04-19-2010, 07:57 AM   #11
Roughshod
weld proud

Oddometer: 101
Thumb

Nice RR Doug!
Roughshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:59 AM   #12
RiderJones OP
sketchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughshod
Nice RR Doug!
Hey cuz! I've got some good ideas for rides! Get out here!
Old 04-19-2010, 08:54 AM   #13
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,311
Great report! I have been through Kaslo a few times, but I have never stopped. This summer for sure.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #14
Roughshod
weld proud

Oddometer: 101
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderJones
Hey cuz! I've got some good ideas for rides! Get out here!
Im workin on it!
Roughshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:58 AM   #15
RiderJones OP
sketchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Thanks for a great ride report, RJ.

My wife and I had breakfast at The Treehouse in Kaslo last month while on our honeymoon. Nice town, terrific spot for breakfast

We both looked at each other and blurted "What a cool place to live!" when we drove past that house. Good to hear a little of the story behind it.

Happy Trails!

Hey Lornce! The Treehouse in Kaslo is a classic...I ate there for a whole summer while building a cabin up at the north end of the lake.
Inside the Nasookin is pretty interesting too...loaded with paddlewheeler/nautical stuff.....I think its for sale privately (The house/property)