User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2010, 07:39 AM   #1
jordan325ic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Yamaha dt250 - strange battery ?

Hello everyone. I just finished my MSF course last week and am currently on the hunt for my first bike.

I've got a friend who has a barely-running 1976 Yamaha DT250, which he offered to let me ride in the meantime if I can get it going. The battery was dead, so I tried to jump start it. However, once I lifted up the seat I did not find a battery I recognized.

The battery I saw looked like this:

BUT it had no terminals and no threaded holes. The only thing it had was a red wire going in, black wire going out and those little yellow knobs. There was not any visible metal at the battery or anywhere down the wire to attach the jumper cables.

How do you jump a battery with no terminals?

Also, quick bonus question: The air filter is in very poor shape (disintegrating). I have (with some difficulty) tracked down an OEM air filter, but I'm wondering if I should go with an aftermarket K&N filter which can be cleaned/re-used? What does adv think?
jordan325ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
gvthnks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
That's a 6v battery. Don't jump it. The DT250 will run without the battery but you shouldn't.

I'd use a foam type stock filter.
96 Honda Shadow
93 Honda XR 80
87 Honda XR250r
83 Honda XR350r
73 Honda XL350
73 CB750
73 Yamaha DT-1

wife calls it a sickness. I'm running a M/C rescue
gvthnks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
dan-c
Back

Oddometer: 13,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvthnks
That's a 6v battery. Don't jump it. The DT250 will run without the battery but you shouldn't.

I'd use a foam type stock filter.
It won't hurt a yammie enduro to run without the battery. The battery basically supplements the lighting, i.e. blinkers are better, tail light lights without the engine, stuff like that.

Better batteries are the sealed agm ones that are used for back-up power for home alarm systems. Just take the battery to your local Batteries Plus store or the like and get one. No worrying about acid eating up the seat and battery box and the damn drains that never seem to get routed correctly.

I use a UNI filter on my yamaha's they come with the cage and sleeve that are just like stock except better.
dan-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:36 AM   #4
jordan325ic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
So the battery will not effect the bike's ability to start?

I guess I'll start looking elsewhere for the reason why it won't start. I tried kick-starting it many times, tried to pop the clutch with the bike rolling. It sounded like it wanted to start but never did catch and actually run. I guess I'll replace the air filter and go from there. This is my first time working on anything with a carb, so it will be a learning experience.
jordan325ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
dan-c
Back

Oddometer: 13,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan325ic
So the battery will not effect the bike's ability to start?

I guess I'll start looking elsewhere for the reason why it won't start. I tried kick-starting it many times, tried to pop the clutch with the bike rolling. It sounded like it wanted to start but never did catch and actually run. I guess I'll replace the air filter and go from there. This is my first time working on anything with a carb, so it will be a learning experience.
No it get's all the power from the magneto (and coil).

If it's been sitting pull the plug, ground it to the head and see if you are getting spark (should be a decent fat spark, not weak looking), never hurts to change the plug while you're at it.
If you have spark, you may want to pull the carb and rebuild it. It is pretty easy to do.
dan-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
capeklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Check that you are getting fuel through the fuel tap and into the carb. there must be fuel in the carb bowl or float chamber.
Remember also to check that there is 2 stroke oil in the bottle and that the pump works or it won't run for long.
capeklr is offline   Reply With Quote