User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Oddometer: 272
Ed has no particular place to go

April 18th I have a few “use it or lose it” vacation days so I packed up the Wee Strom and looked at weather maps. I initially was going to head east but overnight temperatures for camping didn’t look good. So I headed south with no plans but to be back home in a few days.

The first thing is to get out of Iowa so I slab it south to the next state before I get off on rock roads.

Odd advertisement

Missouri River

I setup camp in southern Missouri. I am sorry about the picture it was dark by the time I stopped.

The days stats

I have to go to work for a while. I will post more later.

edstoll screwed with this post 04-21-2010 at 08:44 PM
edstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
PK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Looks like a nice getaway!
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Where I camped was a very run down RV park next to the Laura Ingalls Wilder home. I am guessing there is not as much interest in this as there used to be. In fact I’ll bet a lot of younger folk have never heard of her.

I found some nice back roads and pretty country

Then I found my way to the next state south.

This is from a bank of Bull Shoals lake.

Once I made it to Eureka Springs I jumped off on a GPS track I found on another site. It was billed as a dirt road track from Eureka Springs to Oark. It was a combination of some dirt some rock and some pavement. It was a great ride for a dual sport bike. The following are pictures from it.

I rambled on westbound from Oark and decided since I was so cold camping the night before I decided to get a cheap room. Thankfully I found one with secure inside parking.

The days statistics

The next day was the next state west.

This was a cool historical area in Oklahoma.

A roadside waterfall.

My reports usually include some of these.

They have assigned parking spots. Signs say (unit 1 only, unit 2 only, unit 3 only, unit 4 only.)

Continuing on,

Those last few pictures were in an OHV park I stumbled across. I might have to bring the dirt bike to explore it further someday.

Roadside monument

If your O.K. I’m O.K.

Somewhere north of Bartlesville.

I came across an old rancher struggling to get a few cattle back in a pen. I stopped to help and we made short work of it. He turned and headed off before we could talk.

For those of you doing the Trans Am Trail and you slab it through Oklahoma instead of following the route you are missing out. There is great riding and scenery there.

They are calling me back to work again. More later.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Thumb

My kind of trip!

Nice job and thanks for taking the time to share.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:03 AM   #6
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

I got to Elgin Kansas and was surprised at the big wide brick streets in remarkably good condition. The buildings have all been long abandoned and if you will notice in the picture they just left the clothing inventory hanging in the window.

One of the reasons I prefer to travel alone on motorcycle is because you are approachable by locals. As I was taking pictures up rolled a guy more than willing to visit. Meet “Thunder”. That’s his name not the dogs.

He had about three dogs in the truck with him and three or four more following along. When he stopped to talk with me they all jumped in the cab. I got a quick education about the town that involved 17 bars, 15 whore houses and lots of activity. He said the stock market crash and the railroad leaving town in the 30’s just killed it all. I got his name and number. If half the stories he told are true it bears some research. Hell of a nice guy. I may go back.

I decide I am homesick so I turn towards home. This type of place is my favorite to stop and get a burger and shake. It was delicious.

No more pictures because I was slabbing it home. I think these are pretty respectable stats considering the first 300 miles were roaming around back roads. Yes it was a quick 300 mile trip home. This is a great bike.

The end. I hope you enjoyed it. I sure did.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:39 AM   #7
ziepan
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 608
Nice pics, Looks like it was a nice ride.

Thanks for sharing.
ziepan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by edstoll
....... with no plans but to be back home in a few days.
The perfect plans for a trip! Thanks for sharing!!
BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #9
iowawoodsracer
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Tons 'o fun

So do you think the various officers back in that burg fight over the prime parking spaces?

Give me 4 years and Max I will come along. Can't wait. Beats the heck out of thrashing myself in the Iowa enduro/harescramble circuit. Plus, you can have a beer now and again.
iowawoodsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #10
edstoll OP
OPD-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowawoodsracer
So do you think the various officers back in that burg fight over the prime parking spaces?

Give me 4 years and Max I will come along. Can't wait. Beats the heck out of thrashing myself in the Iowa enduro/harescramble circuit. Plus, you can have a beer now and again.
Viam Oklahoma. It has to be run by somebody retired military or such to have it so squared away each car has it's own parking spot.

The Missouri convenience stores sell small bottles of whiskey. It sure came in handy that cold night in the tent by Laura's house.

Max will still have you running around the hare scramble track. The difference is he will be faster than you.