User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2010, 06:51 AM   #1
Frey Bentos OP
not listening

Oddometer: 656
Scotland for the Brave.

First of all there were supposed to be a whole bunch of us going on a forum Big Trialie run sort of thing. And then there were two of us. And the way the cookie crumbles there was only little old me left.
Funnily enough it was a nice morning when I was putting the boxes on the bike. It's usually pissing down but I just had to put up with the dry, mild morning. Oh well

There is something really fecking good about packing up and knowing that you have nothing to do all day but ride the bike.
The ferry was at 1.30 from Larne so it was a leisurely enough trip up spent wondering what I had forgotten to take and would Scotland have shops so I could buy replacements. I don't believe in packing light. Bringing loads of stuff is what separates us from the Apes, you know.
I wasn't bringing a tent because I had heard a rumour that Scotland had these things called "B&B's. It's an arrangement where a lady, usually quite foxy but to be honest, on some occasions fucking haggard and not a little scary allows you to sleep in a room in their house and in the morning have a little breakfast. And in no way, wank in to the bottle of shower gel they leave in the room for you. That would be considered impolite. And unhygienic.

The ferry over was a pretty quiet affair. I was the only bike on it and a few hundred lorries. We all spilled out in Cairnryan at 3.30 and I headed North with a rough plan of going North and not South. Seriously, that's how organised I was with an itinerary.

I eventually called it a day in Largs at about 5.30. I applied my "first B&B I see at 5.30" rule and settled for here,

35.00 with a a landlady who knew how to fill a pair of jeans. The only draw back was that it was a shared bathroom and not en suite. That would be a draw back for anybody else who had to share the same bog as myself that is. I had been sat on a bike all day and been eating Ferry food. My second (the first is, erm first thing before I get out of bed) bowel movement of the day on a day like this is always like the side falling out of an old house.

It was a lovely evening and time for a scrub and a fiddle and then maybe an amble into the bright sights of nightime Largs.
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
Frey Bentos OP
not listening

I took a walk down by the sea front. It was fecking beautiful. Loads of people out doing their thangs..

I really had a craving for a pizza and hoped that there would be some sort of a shop that sold them. So After walking for what felt like an hour I settled for an over priced burger and chip in a small restaurant. It was pretty fecking good though.
There were loads of bikes about as well, parked over beside a tea van. I decided that it would be a simple enough task , not to retrace my steps back to the B&B but to take a somewhat roundabout voyage of discovery around the town and hook back up onto the main street and then back the way I came....
Fuck me, how many back streets had Largs got? What was a simple plan in my head turned into a fucking three day camel ride with me eventually trooping through somewhat shitty streets dressed like a tourist with me camera strung over me shoulder.. The scene in Trainspotting about the yank coming into the pub on the first night of the Edinburgh festival kept running through my mind. I eventually burst out onto the main drag after half an hour or so and then had to find the sea front again and then retrace my steps...Should of brought the bike.....

Bright the next morning. Bowels empty and nuts hollowed out as well I was feeling kinda sexy. And looked it as well..

It was time to hit the road. Bedags, I was like a dog with two dicks I was that happy. Clicking the boxes onto the bike, Strapping the old Kriega across my manly chest, waving a fond farewell to yet another satisfied landlady...

I was heading for Goulock and the ferry to Dunoon. I love this wee bit of the trip. To my mind, this is where the Highlands start. As the boat crosses the water you can see in the distance the mountains dark and brooding piled up behind each other. Always gives me a little tingle in my pee pee.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
DaveK671
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Looking forward to reading the rest of ur report, I do love touring Scotland. Im from the Borders and the scenery just isnt quite as good as up north
DaveK671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
TLTom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
a true poet
TLTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,816
Hi Frey B.

are you gonna ride the western wiggly bits ? Hope so - post the pics if you do.
The weather forecast is for sun, sun, sun - NOT - just kiddin, hopefully it'll be good.

cheers
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
Frey Bentos OP
not listening

Aint modern technology great?
Be prepared to be underwhelmed by actual moving pictures in some of these posts.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
Frey Bentos OP
not listening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn1203
Hi Frey B.

are you gonna ride the western wiggly bits ? Hope so - post the pics if you do.
The weather forecast is for sun, sun, sun - NOT - just kiddin, hopefully it'll be good.

cheers
Oops, sorry, should have said, this was last year. So I am home safe and sound and even the rash I got from the natives has faded nicely. But in answer to your post, it was mainly up the west squigelly bits.

Frey Bentos screwed with this post 04-26-2010 at 06:14 AM
Old 04-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote