User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,207
65 mph maximum attainable speed

1996 R1100GS. About 80,000 miles. Not sure exactly the total because the speedo broke in Peru.

In March I rode it from Wisconsin to LA and back, with three 1000 mile days, and the bike was perfect. The last day was 970 miles in 13.5 hours.

A week later, the bike was rough to start. It would dog/bog down a little, but once warmed up, it went fine around town.

Sunday, I rode it from Madison to Minneapolis. It was about 45 and rainy when I left. It took about 40 miles before the bike warmed up. It kept doing a new, "skipping" type of thing. I figured it was because it was cold.

(In an un-related act of stupidity, I got nailed for passing a truck and a semi in a double-yellow, $215.)

After about 200 miles, I noticed that it was hard to go 80 mph. I wasn't getting the normal zip. I wondered if the snorkel pre-filter was wet and clogged, because it had been in the snorkel for the last 5000 miles. I stopped at a gas station and pulled it out. The pre-filter was dirty, but after removing it, there was no change.

At 2:00 this afternoon, I put 8 gallons of fuel in, and I started for home. 5 miles later, the bike almost quit on me. I had been going about 65 mph eastbound on I94, just west of Saint Paul.

I was able to get off the highway. The bike quit. I was able to re-start it.

I called GS Diablo. He invited me to his house. I was able to get the bike to limp there. It wouldn't idle, and 40-50 mph was the fastest I could go.

We changed the fuel filter. The fuel pump seemed to be pumping tons of fuel- enough to squirt at least a few feet. Compression was good on both cylinders. We changed the spark plugs anyway. All the hoses seem to be tight.

GS Diablo is also a GS rider. We're both mainly riders- not mechanics- but we're not total idiots (well, he's not, but I probably am).

GS Diablo offered to lend me a 650GS to ride back to Madison, and then come back for the pig with my truck, but I decided to ride it home. I limped home. At 65 the bike would bog down. I'd down-shift to 4th, then 3rd. The bike would run smoothly, and then I'd try to shift back up. I could ride it at at 65 if I constantly feathered the throttle. 300 miles of constantly feathering the throttle pretty much wore me out, but the bike got me home.

What's wrong with it?

ps: GS Diablo is fucking AMAZING. One phonecall, and he took off from work to help me. Within 20 minutes I was filling every plastic jug in his house with gasoline. If you've ever tried draining an 11 gallon touratech tank, you know what I'm talking about.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 31,749
By "a few feet" how far would you guess? !0 feet or two feet? You want about 40 psi of fuel pressure which should give a nice jet of fuel. Was the tachometer acting funny? If so, it could be the sensors for the injection and ignition under the front cover or the wiring for them. That is usually a go/no-go issue though. It first starts to show up in the rain which you experienced. Hmmm?

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:38 AM   #3
GeorgeinVA
Beemers Uber Alles

Oddometer: 603
Take a look at the throttle position sensor. Make sure it is adjusted correctly.
GeorgeinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:52 AM   #4
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,198
Question

I'm a completely zero on this, but aren't these symptoms those you see with a burned valve?

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:27 AM   #5
GeorgeinVA
Beemers Uber Alles

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk
I'm a completely zero on this, but aren't these symptoms those you see with a burned valve?

[TaSK]
"Compression was good on both cylinders."

Good guess but a burned valve would have bad compression, and similar symptoms.
GeorgeinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:31 AM   #6
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeinVA
"Compression was good on both cylinders."
Sorry - missed that.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #7
CCjon
HighHorse Rider

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
GS Diablo is fucking AMAZING. One phonecall, and he took off from work to help me.
That GSDiablo is one cool dude.

Following this thread with great interest. Must hear the outcome....

So the possible causes of the loss of top end power are:

1. Fuel Filter - replaced
2. Plugs - replaced

3. Fuel Pump starting to fail, i.e. weak stream
4. Injectors clogged, hmm not the right symptoms though?
5, O2 Sensor failing
6. Hall Sensor
7. Torn plug wires letting water in and shorting
8. ???
CCjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 14,842
Don't forget the pressure regulator. While there haven't been many reports of failure, there have been a few.

JJ
Old 05-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,284
BANANAMAN WHAZZUP

Did you find the problem?
Old 05-03-2010, 07:49 AM   #10
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw
BANANAMAN WHAZZUP

Did you find the problem?
Sorry- last week was super-busy. I'll take the pig to the dealer in Beaver Dam this week.

I live an hour away from the closest dealer, and the only dealer I trust. There are a few mechanics here in Madison, but I prefer Jason & Co in Beaver Dam. The process is complicated- I have to take the bike to my office, where I have a loading dock. Then I have to run home and get my truck. At my office I need at least one other person to help me, so that I don't drop it in the truck.

Stay tuned...
Old 05-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #11
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Art, the owner of Mischlers BMW: "Its running on one cylinder. Intermittently." He tapped the exhaust pipes. "The left one."

"You cracked the coil when you submerged it." Referring to the river in Panama.

Suddenly I realized that this problem started... in Ecuador. In a pissing rain from the Colombia border all the way to Quito. So it's probably a cracked coil or a bad sparkplug wire.

They'll know more on Thursday.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:18 PM   #12
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 14,842
Ok this thread has been added to the How

JJ
Old 05-24-2010, 08:08 PM   #13
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
Ok this thread has been added to the How

JJ
I am somehow impressed with myself for so screwing up my bike, and not being able to fix it, and now having all my woe in the HOW.

If I was to do all my rides again, I would take the same bike. I hope I can get it fixed up enough to do all my rides again, and then ride some more.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Today I finally got around to replacing the O2 sensor. It's an easy job if you have a 22mm wrench. Splicing the wires is easy thanks to the posi-connectors that came with the new sensor.

I was in the middle of putting the tank back on when I got interrupted... and I forgot to re-connect the fuel line in front of the big tank. A few minutes later, once the bike was warmed up, with the fuel line laying on the exhaust, you can imagine what happened: melted. Fuel spewing everywhere.

A BMW car mechanic buddy suggested that instead of $50 quick-disconnectors, I go to a plumbing supply store and get a couple of petcocks and a simple connector. I'll be able to shut off the fuel supply so that if I forget to re-connect the fuel line, fuel won't spew.

The NAPA guy, when I bought the $66 Bosch O2 sensor, thought I might have a vacuum problem. I called the BMW dealer again, and he insisted that I had wrecked the O2 sensor in the river in Panama. I then told the drowning story to the Napa guy, and he goes, "That much water will destroy an O2 sensor."

On the stand the bike sounded great. I didn't get to test it on the road, though. Hopefully tomorow.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #15
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Vintage rider sent meanother awesome PM. I hope he'll post it here.