User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
chasbo OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,510
A Ride Through Canaan Valley

Sometimes you just need to ride. Other people have therapists, I have a motorcycle. Whenever life starts to pile up and get to me, all I ever need to do is jump on the bike, twist the throttle and head out somewhere special and just let twisty roads and beautiful scenery bring me back to an even keel. I must have had "that" look the other day, because my wife suggested a good long ride might do me some good. Hey, who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth? So at the crack of dawn, I suited up, gassed the 990 up and headed west, my destination Sirianni's Pizza in Davis WV. I planned a nice twisty route there via some of the best roads in these here parts.

I started out on Route 40 west over Sidling Hill nd on through to Cumberland, Md.
Sidling Hill

Sidling Hill Creek

view from Town Hill

Then it was 220 south and 50 west into Virginia and some sweet twities...
Interesting Marker Stone on highway 50, no idea what it means...

From there I followed along Patterson Creek Rd to Petersburg West Virginia. Lots of farms and general greenery to enjoy...

Had a quick snack and filled the 990 back up in Petersburg before heading down 42 west to Smoke Hole Rd, maybe the most fun twisty road I've ever ridden.
Just cross this creek and crack open the throttle!
Old 05-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
donnymoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Great area!
donnymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
frijole
Clickin'

Oddometer: 897
You're right about ridn' being like therapy. Beautiful country you got there!
frijole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
ozgnp
Half/fast

Oddometer: 14
Nice ride. We're lucky there are still some open spaces
in our area. I need to check out some of those roads myself.
ozgnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
chasbo OP
Beastly Adventurer

Smoke Hole Road is one of my all time favorite twisty roads. Most people in the area use the state highways, so this road is almost always deserted, especially mid morning in the middle of the work week! The first several miles is a non stop roller coaster of a road. It is a typical West Virginia back road in that it is barely wide enough for two cars to pass one another, so good thing it stays fairly low traffic otherwise it would be pretty scarey.

the other direction...

The worst thing about the road is that the rider in me wanted to just crank it and go while the part of me that loves the scenery was constantly tempted by the beautiful views all along the length of the road. Thankfully, after one stop, I put the tourist away and got in touch with my inner Rossi.

Many miles down the road, I came to a T intersection and got to play Mr. Tourist again...
Saw this cool little store...

next to a picturesque little trout filled creek...

I followed the creek for the next several miles and had a blast...

Finallly, I came to the end of the road and turned right and headed west some more towards Seneca Rocks....
Old 05-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
chasbo OP
Beastly Adventurer

About a million years ago, I used to go to Seneca Rocks to boulder and top rope with friends. I never was able to screw up my courage and climb the big boy, but then again, I was never that good to begin with. Still, it is one of the prettier spots in the area and I always try to stop and take a gander...

The big view

Cross a little creek to a fun dirt road...

I like this view a lot...

After enjoying all the scenery, I pulled across the road to fill my camelback up and grab a chocolate bar. For whatever reason, everyone I met was fairly grumpy. These two riders on Harley's stepped over to check out my Garmin, but when I said hello, they just glared at me and went into the store...sheesh!

When I went into the store, the lady behind the counter just walked away when I asked her if she was having a nice day. Apparantly, I was wearing some sort of "be an asshole to me" sign. Hmmm...maybe she needs a motorcycle and a day off....

I filled the bladder, ate my bar and beat it for parts further west. My new destination was now Davis West Virginia and a kick ass lunch. No way these grumpy people are going to rain on my day off!!!

Up and over the Eastern Coninental Divide (I crossed the divide something like four times in all this day)...

It is not as tall as the one further west, but full of some beautiful views for sure! I think this was High Germany Valley...

Next stop Canaan Valley Rd!
Old 05-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
chasbo OP
Beastly Adventurer

I can't remember all the turn offs, I have them written down anyhow, but after another hour of fun twisty West Virginia state highways and back roads I finally came to the turn for Canaan Loop Rd. It is pretty low key at first, but eventually winds up and really gets tough as it goes from groomed gravel to rutted double track, at least for my feeble off road skills. Still, it was one of the main reasons I came out here, so tempting fate, I headed in.

The scenery was once again pristine...

Eventually, the road deteriorated to very rutted and muddy double track. I came to a point where after nearly dropping the 990 three times, I stopped to take stock of my situation. The stock Pirelli Scorpions were really out of traction at this point and I knew there was a fairly tricky off camber rocky section up ahead. I didn't think the Scorp's or I could handle it safely and since I was riding solo, I put away my pride, did a u turn and headed back the way I came. I was a little sad I didn't complete the road, but I also didn't want to go down alone on a seldom used section of road with no cell service. The good news was, since I knew the condition of the road now, I could open the 990 up a bit and slide around some corners on the way back. So where I had been fairly conservative on my ride in and stayed around 25mph, i was now comfortable with doing almost double that on the way back. I HAD A BLAST!!! This bike was made for his sort of hooligan style riding.

I quick stop at an earlier landmark for a self portrait. I left the helmet on to keep this a family friendly report...

Then it was onto Davis and a well earned lunch...Ahhhh, my favorite place to eat!!
Old 05-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
chasbo OP
Beastly Adventurer

It was a nice break at Sirianni's Pizza. I had an Italian sub and some fries which I washed down with some cold ice tea. After an hour break, I headed up the road to Thomas to refill the 990 (they only had 10 percent ethanol...ugh) and my camelback. After paying for the fuel and drinks, I came outside and found a guy ogling the 990. We got to chatting a bit about riding. Seems he owns a GS and was really interested in the 990 as he had never seen one in person. He really liked how narrow the bike was and told me he saw me flying down Canaan Loop Rd earlier like a bat out of hell. He had been in a pull off down at the creek it seems. We said our goodbye's and I buttoned up and headed up 219 north towards Oakland, Md.

Even though I was pretty fried at this point, I decided to head to the Fairfax stone, which had a little back road (Co. Rte. 9) I knew that was a blast to ride. I passed on seeing the stone, no biggie as I had seen it before and it was nothing more than a small plaque commemorating the source of the Potomac river (if I remember right).

Anyhow, a mile down the road I came up on a black bear. Scared the snot out of it. It was in the center of the road and it tore off into the underbrush before I could get my camera out. I stopped the bike anyhow and watched where he ran to and was rewarded with seeing him make a bolt for it again and watched him climb a tree about 50 feet into the forrest. I wrestled with the idea of walking to the tree and taking a picture of him, but then common sense took over and I realized that being under a scared black bear was not the best idea I ever had. So I fired the 990 back up and headed down the road.

I crossed back into Maryland at a little no name town and found a cool abandoned brick building to frame in the afternoon sun...

Eventually I got back onto highway 50, east his time and headed for Romney when came across Highway 42 north, which looked promising enough, so I made the turn and off I went. I didn't have far to go before a cool truck caught my eye to the right so I stopped and took these pics...

A little further down the road was this view of Lake Jennings Randolf...

That was the last photo I would take. I was really fried and just worked on reading the road and working my way home. So from there I made my way to 68 east and back over Sidling Hill to Hagerstown and a cold bottle of Dogfishhead IPA (well, more like 4 cold bottles!).

In all I would cover just under 500 miles, about 50 of which were dirt/gravel road. I ate at my favorite restaraunt and rode some of my favorite roads. By the time I got home to enjoy some barley pop, I had also worked through "that" look as well. It is so nice to not need to spill my guts to a therapist. Riding a motorcycle is way more fun anyhow. If anyone wants better route data, let me know. I am going to head back to Davis soon to spend a couple days exploring the rest of the dirt trails and roads around there and to maybe hit Dolly Sods as well. For now though, I am just happy to have taken a day to ride these roads....cheers!
Old 05-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
SauS TaR-TaR
Go BaBy Go...

Oddometer: 469

"The Road May End... But Brotherhood Is Never End..."
SauS TaR-TaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
bbooker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo
Up and over the Eastern Coninental Divide (I crossed the divide something like four times in all this day)...

It is not as tall as the one further west, but full of some beautiful views for sure!
It may not be as tall as the one further west, but it does get its fair share of snow. These shots are from February of this year.

Glad the conditions were a little better for you! That's a great area. The riding & outdoor opportunities are pretty much endless!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

bbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #11
chasbo OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks to everyone for all the positive feedback on the report. Most the ideas for my rides come from what I have read of others doing on this site. It is a nice thing to share a ride with you all.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #12
Groundhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Thanks for the pictures. Good memories

I lived in Canaan Valley about 12 years ago for 10 years. Never got tired of it. People are great and every road/trail is very scenic. I owned an excavation company and worked at one of the ski areas in the winter. Unfortunately, all my money was in bulldozers and it was the only time since I was 14 that I didn't have a bike.

Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #13
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo
Smoke Hole Road is one of my all time favorite twisty roads. Most people in the area use the state highways, so this road is almost always deserted, especially mid morning in the middle of the work week! The first several miles is a non stop roller coaster of a road. It is a typical West Virginia back road in that it is barely wide enough for two cars to pass one another, so good thing it stays fairly low traffic otherwise it would be pretty scarey.

The worst thing about the road is that the rider in me wanted to just crank it and go while the part of me that loves the scenery was constantly tempted by the beautiful views all along the length of the road. Thankfully, after one stop, I put the tourist away and got in touch with my inner Rossi.
I love those narrow, twisty, deserted little back roads. Most people don't know what they're missing......and I'm glad. These roads wouldn't be much fun if they were full of traffic. I lived in MD in the mid 90s and used to take long day rides out to this area. Thanks for posting. Great pics, it looks like you had a great ride

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #14
Banshee
hi

Oddometer: 6,154
shhhh about smokehole rd shhhhhhh ;)

nice report . I ride in that area a lot, love love love riding in WV.
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #15
Zagando
BMW uber alles!

Oddometer: 974
[quote=chasbo]

Then it was 220 south and 50 west into Virginia and some sweet twities...
Interesting Marker Stone on highway 50, no idea what it means...

While I've never been to any of those places you rode (beautiful!) I have a hunch that those stone or concrete markers had something to do with the WPA---a lot of roads were built back in the '30s under the WPA... Just my guess, FWIW.

Nice report!

ex: '94 K75S "Berlina" '92 R100GSPD
'85 K100RS '73 R75/5 '65 R60/2
Zagando is offline   Reply With Quote