Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
Flyred OP
Who is John Galt?

Oddometer: 673
SKMo Joe

Travels with Jumbo. Part 5

Once again headed North. This time for the Dempster Road to Inuvik, NWT. I knew it would be questionable if I could complete the trip due to getting across the rivers via the seasonal ferries.
Unfortunalty, that was the case. So the end of the trail was at the Peel River Crossing, looking at the ferry on the other side of the river, now in the water and being prepped for the summer but not yet running.
The trip was still a blast and I have to admit,IMHO, The Dempster is a better ride than the Dalton for a lot of reasons.
So with the introduction complete, here is my ride report.

Day 1 camp at Whisker Point CG Lake McCleod, BC 660 miles

Beavers 1 Trees 0

The Beavers are kicking this camps butt. Trees are down all along the shoreline.
An Irish Whiskey and a cigar finish the day

Flyred screwed with this post 06-16-2010 at 01:37 PM
Flyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #2
Flyred OP
Who is John Galt?

Day 2 473 miles

Fort Nelson BC
Another beautiful day with a stop in Dawson Creek for the mandatory pictures at Mile 0 of the Alaska Highway

The ride starts for real after Fort Nelson. Before this point it's all pretty Ho Hum. But after that the scenery really starts.
The West End Campground is located on the ...uh... West End of town at Fort Nelson. The cool thing about this place is it has all the KOA type stuff plus a good restuarant and a bar.

The tent area is currently being used as a dumping ground for a remodel project so it's a bit of a mess. But did I mention they have a bar?

Flyred screwed with this post 05-25-2010 at 08:29 AM
Old 05-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
BitesTheDust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
BitesTheDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
Flyred OP
Who is John Galt?

Day 3 Takhini Hot Springs

636 miles
Ahhhh. Nothing like a hot soak after a long day.
Crossing the Northern Canadian Rockies. One 10 mile stretch took me 3 hours because of all the photo stops.
Lots of game along the road. 10+ bears. 10+ Bison. Cariboo.
After watching all the bears, I figured I should stop and get a pic of at least one. This one was chilling 50' off the road so I stopped the bike. My stopping got the bear shambling off but every 4th step he would fall on his face. The pic doesn't show it well but the bears right front leg is broken and sticking out at a 90 degree angle from where it should be.

Poor bastard is toast.

Here's a healthy and lazy Bear

On a happier note.
The Pink Mtns

Breakfast at The Toad

Back into the Rockies with a full stomach and gas tank

Muncho Lake Prov Park. My oh my!

The fuel stops were frequently very scenic

You need to carry fuel up here. I didn't know they made Peg Packers for cruisers.

A fuel and food stop in Whitehorse. Some really good Pizza at Boccelli's next to the Head Shop and the Soup Kitchen. Hand tossed thin crust. Good stuff!

Then there's this boat parked in town. Don't know why

30 km out of town is the hot springs. A tent space with use of the pool is $27. Perfect way to finish off the day

Takhini is a natural choice for a camp along the road to Dawson City.

There is an old Road House along the Hwy that is falling apart and looks a thousand years old. It stopped working commercially in 1957. The Yukon is tough on structures

DC is a comfortable days ride from here with a couple side trips thrown in. Like to Mayo, AK

Mayo's cemetary. Seems like they all died in 1923

Nothing to see here folks. Move along.

If you ride this route you will see this.

http://cheezburger.com/flyred/lolz/View/3572796928

Flyred screwed with this post 12-11-2013 at 04:17 PM
Old 05-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #5
Flyred OP
Who is John Galt?

Day 4 Dawson City

Camp at the Yukon River Hostel.

The Yukon River Gold dredging takes away all the soil, leaving glacial till behind. There are housing developments built on this stuff

KTM. Not what you think. It's the Klondike Thawing Machine Co.

Perma frost FAIL

The Downtown Hotel. It's where you get the Sour Toe Cocktails

The Tasty Byte. Internet Cafe and home of killer homemade donuts. Say hi to Ron.

And then there's this boat in town. Don't know why

Hard working miner in Dawson City

Flyred screwed with this post 12-06-2013 at 08:06 PM
Old 05-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
Flyred OP
Who is John Galt?

Day 5 Flying with Eagles, lunch at Chicken

350 miles of gravel

The US Canada border. Pop 2

The road to Eagle is in very good condition, much better then the Top of the World road. Eagle itself was hit by a flood May 2009 and the front street was washed away. The grocery / gas station is 100+ yards up the hill and it had water up to the door knob.
All due to an ice dam on the Yukon River during break up.
The town didn't have anything worth taking a picture of. Gas and go

The liquer store on the road to Eagle-Closed

The Top of the World

FYYFF

Chicken for a great burger

Back into Dawson City after a long great day. A stop at the Downtown Hotel for a Sour Toe Cocktail. If you haven't had one, it's a shot of Whiskey-Jack Daniels- and a black, pickled human toe. You have to give the toe back.

Flyred screwed with this post 12-06-2013 at 09:12 PM
Old 05-31-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
muskeg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Flyred, thanks for the great RR and follow up info. Alaska is often best early and late in the season. I was wondering if you had any other issues with your Rotopax fuel carriers... leakage etc? What exactly caused the all-thread to bend? They seem like a pretty cool way to carry extra fuel. Also, 50 mpg? I got about 34 my last fill up on my new 990R. Any pointers?

As a side note and slight 7500, about a month ago I had just hopped of an Alaska Airlines flight and was strolling through the Sea-Tac parking area on my way to pick up my new 990 from Mt. Baker Moto and spotted this:
Yours was the first KTM Adventure I had ever seen in person. It was an awesome way to start my trip!
muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:33 PM   #8
Flyred OP
Who is John Galt?

Welcome to the 990 world.
The RotoPax gear failed completely last year. A bad batch of seals that rotted from contact with gas. The mount itself uses a "propeller" that swings 90 degrees and holds down the can and can be stacked two high. Nice idea until you figure in heat expansion which snapped off the all thread rod.
Discussed in #14 on last years RR
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=prudhoe
This year I didn't use the propellers and just ROK strapped it down. But heat expansion flexed the cans unevenly and so the can stack pivoted as it grew causing the rod to bend.
Maybe the answer is to place the cans 180 out of phase so the swell cancels itself out.
RotoPax replaced everything for free and will be getting another call this week.
My gas mileage has always been better then the average 990. I use stock gearing and am easy on the throttle. I run at 3900 rpm+- which trues out at 65mph in 6th and I feel is the sweet spot on the LC8 motor. That RPM is at the bottom of the power band. Lots on tap if needed but not bogging. YMMV
Old 05-31-2010, 11:06 PM   #9
muskeg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Sweet. Thanks!
muskeg is offline   Reply With Quote