Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
LocuL OP
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,221
Eek Ultra gravel-traveller. RC8Red Adv-S...

Hi

Im in the mood for changes and economy is with me.

Its an old dream ive been hagling around with.

It starts with my 530exc is offroading very much. The ours are growing quickly and im getting better and better. I dont get to use the 950 for offroad as much. My divorce made it possible for me to travel again and the lust for adventures on the steed is strong. I have had a good eye for the FJR1300 for fast, light, single travel. But the thought about i couldnt travel offroad made me dump the idea.
Then i thought it could be great fun to build an offroad FJR. My thoughts are fast on the tarmac and smooth on the gravel. I have allways dreamed of having more power to travel fast on the highways.
Plans/ideas are:
1: RC8(R) engine(EFI)
2: Touratech tanks front and 2x10l back.
3: Giantloop, hennesyhammock, jetboil....ultralight.
4: 320mm front/rear rally suspensionmod.

I know a lot would ask if the engine doesnt punch enough and sure it does. But ive been riding the bike for a LONG time now and would like to make som exciting changes.

QUestions are:
1: Does anyone have any idea if the engine could drop in with or without minor efforts. My maine concern is at the swingarm.
2: How is the gearing? Can i get the transmission to work at less speed(i do not need to trial the bike)?
3: Which kind of mileage can expect from the rc8?

Any concerns or thoughts about the project, please write it.

Im well aware that the project wont come easy and it doesnt need to. I will be going to ISAF later next year.

Regards
Mikael
Denmark

LocuL screwed with this post 12-23-2010 at 04:44 PM
LocuL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,380
The big sump at the front & bottom of the RC8 might be an issue ...

mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
HWSNBN
Banned

Oddometer: 2,897
If I was just divorced, I'd not waste my time wrenching when I would pick up a perfectly good 950 and hit South America with a handful of dollars and a boxful of condoms... just sayin'
HWSNBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWSNBN
If I was just divorced, I'd not waste my time wrenching when I would pick up a perfectly good 950 and hit South America with a handful of dollars and a boxful of condoms... just sayin'
I like your way of thinking... I'm in Brazil right now there certainly isn't any lack of exiting... adventures... to be had if I put it like that.

Certainly much more exiting than taking something that works well (like a 950) and making into something else. Life is short, no point in reinventing the wheel.

Blue&Yellow screwed with this post 05-29-2010 at 08:14 PM
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:20 AM   #5
LocuL OP
Gnarly Infantry

NJaaaa...

First of all we all got different ways to handle stuff like what im going through.
Second i wouldnt be going to South America, i need to travel way more in the scandinavien. I like the mentality and it isnt stupid warm.
Third is that i love to wrench and make my own stuff even better.

What it lacks in exciting adventures, im getting that in the green zone Helmand.

Keep it rolling
Old 05-30-2010, 03:47 AM   #6
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locul@hotmail.com
NJaaaa...

First of all we all got different ways to handle stuff like what im going through.
Second i wouldnt be going to South America, i need to travel way more in the scandinavien. I like the mentality and it isnt stupid warm.
Third is that i love to wrench and make my own stuff even better.

What it lacks in exciting adventures, im getting that in the green zone Helmand.

Keep it rolling
I would first see what I can do with the existing 950/990 engine before a transplant.
You can easily get 100hp on the back wheel on this engine. There is a member here claiming 130hp on his SE (powercell). I also think that 150bhp is not what this frame, suspension, swingarm etc are made for. Just have a look at how different the swingarms between the 950 and RC8 are.
Anyway, all i am trying to say, is that a pair of FCR carbs plus a well sorted exhaust system and fueling will be more fun, more useful and cheaper than going big.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
SSrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWSNBN
HERE HERE !!! HIT THE ROAD JACK !!

KTM 990
KTM 640
KTM 520
KTM 380
KAW klx650
Honda xr75
Honda trail 50
SSrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:50 AM   #8
clickmaster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Wicked

[QUOTE=mookymoo;13066281]The big sump at the front & bottom of the RC8 might be an issue ...

I like this baby a lot!
clickmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #9
tommytiger
just riding

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locul@hotmail.com

2: Touratech tanks front and 2x10l back.
so you will have 64 liters with you in your 300kg KTM

- 2005 KTM Adventure 950 S
- 2011 KTM Adventure 990 R
tommytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
LocuL OP
Gnarly Infantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytiger
so you will have 64 liters with you in your 300kg KTM
I should answer that question.

When i do the "long haul" riding. Highway stuff ala Autostrada Germany or likewise. I would like the option of +900km. When riding normal roads and standard gravelroads I will not feel the actually weight. I think i can adapt to weight. Its when it gets technical or twisty the fun starts. Beside that, when it tip over someday fully loaded, im in a great shape and would lift it without big efforts.
But yes i would like to have the options for 64l. Though im not all into how you can stretch the RC8R engine at normal daypace.

Benz:
I dont have interest in working with the 950/990 engine. As a matter of fact i have one sitting in a crate with a lost 6th gear. I could make that a crazyhorse.
If i can get a RC8R around 25.000 Dkr(3600euro) with low milage ithink that project in it own screams for the test. It would probably cost the same to make a 990 insane. And i will not tune the RC8R, reliability is the way. Not that i think the LC8 couldnt take the beating.

RC8R is my choise. If it fails im a way more poor man than before...though a bit more clever.

Regards
Mikael

Ps: As mentioned before it will take months before the first step. Patience.

Keep comming with "your thoughts". Bad and Good.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #11
adiablolex
Lost again

Oddometer: 3,693
I was eyeing a wrecked RC8 at the dealer and it looks very doable....

It will definately be a good learning curve trying to make everything fit together nicely and be reliable at the same time.

Kudos for trying and keep us posted man, good luck
Old 07-06-2010, 02:44 AM   #12
mtb_man
Unfettered

Oddometer: 171
I love my RC8 and I love my Adventure. However, I doubt I would love a 1148cc Adventure as much.

Why? The engine/throttle response on the RC8 is all wrong for dirt and the adventure chassis shakes its head a bit with 95hp, I can't imagine >150hp pumping through it.

I look forward to reading the rest of this thread, but I'll stick to two separate bikes...

Gone but not forgotten:
06 KTM Super Duke,
05 Kawasaki ZX636, 05 Suzuki DR650

When you are great, candor is often perceived as arrogance.
mtb_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #13
LocuL OP
Gnarly Infantry

The day got even better.

From Robie Peterson:

locul,
The RC8 in the Super Enduro frame has worked well. A very easy, almost bolt in conversion. We are running just methanol currently and putting out as much horsepower as the 950's on 50% nitromethane!! It is less violent than a nitro burner but still puts out big numbers. We have had zero mechanical issues once we got it dialed in.
For your street/dual sport conversion you will only need to fabricate the front motor mount brackets. The rear pivot mount and lower rear motor mount are identical to the 950. We do not run a cooling system, obviously that will be something else you will have to tackle.
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!
Kerry

Mikael
Old 04-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #14
Platypus-3in1
Fluid Journey

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locul@hotmail.com View Post

Then i thought it could be great fun to build an offroad FJR. My thoughts are fast on the tarmac and smooth on the gravel.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...62876&page=222

There is a picture of a Ninja turned to the knobby side on this page

You could PM the guy and get his take on it ...
Platypus-3in1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #15
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,380
I reckon you could remove/shorten the oil filler and just use a shorter dipstick.

You could relocate the oil cooler? Not sure what the implications are for water or oil flow - but you could mount it remotely and extend the oil/water connections to it?

Depending what that leaves you with, maybe the simplest option then is to live with the tanks being a bit wider? (referring to adiablolex's suggestion of shimming out the bottom mounts)
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote