Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,643
Heading off to school BMW Performance School that is...

On June 24th I'll be heading off to Greer SC, for two days training (25-26) at the BMW Performance Center, off road school. Looking forward to it. I've signed up to ride a R12GS. At first I wanted to ride one of the smaller bikes offered, yeah, little intimidated by the big bike. What the heck if I learn on the big R12 then my G/S aught to be easy then???

I've been riding on the road since about 1990, 700SC Honda Nighthawk, then stepped up to a 93 K1100RS, then the current street bike '04 R1150RS. I'm OK on the road and ride a little spiritedly at times. Had a G/S for about two years now and want to get more comfortable off road when the bike gets loose especially the front end, but just makes me nervous on a heavy bike.
The rough slow technical stuff doesn't bother me too much on my Honda Elsinore MT250, as it's like a mountain bike w/ an engine, but the big beemer is another story.

I know this is early for the post, as it's still weeks away, but wanted to post here early in case I might get some good info or to post more questions in the up coming weeks.

I also plan to take time on Sunday before heading home to explore some roads in the Greer area. I'll be on the G/S. Any info on good roads in the area would be appreciated, plus a description on the level of difficulty.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

oops posted in wrong place, hope a mod God moves to ride reports.....let us pray.....

Old 06-01-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
kadesean
eyesuck

Oddometer: 978
I just received my BMW GS package in the mail and am scouring for appropriate time off and sites to try out. An event later in the season will allow me to get my G/S sorted and use it!
Old 06-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Two day events you can only use there's. I believe that's right. Besides on the one day stuff the price isn't that much higher to use a supplied bike. I know not much will break on the G/S, turn signals probably, possibly a bashed tank or something.

My G/S is sorted out now.....I hope, been $pending the last 1.5 years tinkering w/ her and pretty sure it's mostly tip top shape. Was going to ride the TAT 1st, but figured It'd wise to take some learning.

I'll try to turn this into a ride report, when I get on the road to the event, then some picts of training. Hopefully I'll get some good shots.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley
Two day events you can only use there's. I believe that's right. Besides on the one day stuff the price isn't that much higher to use a supplied bike. I know not much will break on the G/S, turn signals probably, possibly a bashed tank or something.

My G/S is sorted out now.....I hope, been $pending the last 1.5 years tinkering w/ her and pretty sure it's mostly tip top shape. Was going to ride the TAT 1st, but figured It'd wise to take some learning.

I'll try to turn this into a ride report, when I get on the road to the event, then some picts of training. Hopefully I'll get some good shots.
It's an awesome school, I did the one day Off road in April and it really helped me on and off road.

Their rules are use their bike for the off road, that way you're not worried about breaking your bike. I had the repairman out for me 3 times.....one time to adjust the clutch and 2 times for a bent shifter. the F800GS really needs a folding shifter.

Enjoy it, I would recomend driving your cage there, it is a very exhausting experience. Also wear the coolest gear you have, Greer is quite warm and the day is spent at very low speeds.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
I am attending the same class. I will be leaving Homestead, FL on Thursday morning and hauling ass up to Greer. Hope to see ya there.

On Sunday I have a route planned out that will run from Greer down to Seneca to pick up 28 and ride north to the Dragon. South and west a bit from there and then finally making a turn south to the flat and straight lands of South Florida!!! I don't have to be back to work until Tuesday the 29th, so I made this a mini vacation of learning to ride the Big Fat Pig and then enjoying some twisties.

What hotel are you staying in? I will be at the Airport Marriot, got a decent rate, even cheaper than what the school package tells ya that it is.
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:52 AM   #7
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,572
Moved it for ya..

Old 06-02-2010, 05:53 AM   #8
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Wow, thanks quick response from email.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
ducnek
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 991
After that 1200 your R80 will feel like a mountain bike, well maybe not with THAT tank.

ducnek is offline   Reply With Quote