User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
KTMInduro OP
Off Road Montster

Oddometer: 353
Borneo Equator Expedition - Jungle , Swamps and Heatstroke

5 bikes , some 4WD’s and 2500 km of Kalimantan wilderness along the Equator.

A taste of things to come.........

This was going to be some of the hardest and in some places the most scariest riding I'd ever done.......

KTMInduro screwed with this post 06-17-2010 at 04:57 PM
KTMInduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
stuc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMInduro
5 bikes , some 4WD’s and 2500 km of Kalimantan wilderness along the Equator.

Don't look now, but I think that guy might be bogged
stuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:28 AM   #3
KTMInduro OP
Off Road Montster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuc
Don't look now, but I think that guy might be bogged
Nope - he wasn't bogged Stuc. Far from it in fact The guys in the 4x4's blew me away on this trip. Nothing seemed impossible for them. . But more of them later.........

KTMInduro screwed with this post 06-03-2010 at 03:40 AM
Old 06-03-2010, 03:47 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,048

Old 06-03-2010, 04:07 AM   #5
Edmond Dantès
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 528
Bagus ! Bagus ! Show me more !
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:11 AM   #6
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,181
Good Lord!

08 Buell XB12XT
RedDogAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:31 AM   #7
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
Wow!!! What an adventure. I'm not sure I'd be able to do that, but thanks for taking me along via your ride report.

Riceman
Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:58 AM   #8
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,306
AMAZING! That's all I can say.

An '00 KLR 650, An '07 1250S, An '03 5.3L Chevy Truck + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #9
Rhetorik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
How did get started on this amazing journey?
Rhetorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #10
KTMInduro OP
Off Road Montster

Bees

Day 7

BC 5 to BC 6 @ Tumbang Mahop

Only about 12 4x4's have made it to camp. The rest of the convoy are still out on yesterdays stage.

By the camp theres an abandoned cab of a Caterpillar earth mover.(maybe ?). This and a few fallen wooden posts in the undergrowth are the only signs of what was once here.

At the 7am briefing the bees are out big time. One of the guys covers up completely. Sam keeps the briefing short and tells us today will most likely be harder than yesterday.
Great !

We have hung out wet riding gear all over our bikes to dry out in the early morning sun. Every minute more and more bees are settling on it.

The convoy is due to roll at 8 but we decide to split early and get away from these bastard bees. The guys pull out and I'm a bit further behind them, pulling on my gear, and as the guys speed off, all of the bees that were on their gear and buzzing around their heads decend on me

I now have a massive swarm of bees around me and the bike. I desperatly try to pull my gear on. I'm getting stung all the time and as I pull my helmet on there's bees inside it too. I'm running all over the place whilst I try to get my gear on whilst also ripping it off (if you know what I mean) trying to escape them.

When I get back to my bike, the whole seat and the grips on the bike are covered in a carpet of hundreds of bees. My gloves are too and as I try to start the bike, I find I can't work the throttle due to it being alive and I get stung many times again .

The stings are thankfully fairly weak. Its the swarming , noise and just the sheer quantity of them that is totally freaking me out. Bees are now back inside my helmet and all over my safety jacket and pants. I start shouting my head off in semi panic , finally running as fast as I can away from my bike, ripping off my gear.

One of the guys from a nearby 4x4 rushes up to me and sprays me and my gear with half a can of Baygon mosquito killer. He then goes over and empties the other half on the bike !!

This gives me a small window of opportunity and I jump on the bike, gear hanging off me and pin it out of the camp, holding my helmet and with my camelbak in my lap.

Is there anything else this trip wants to throw at me ?

This was once the road in and out to the camp. There's some impressive sand stone stalagmites on the left side due to heavy rain erosion.
The trail is fairly hairy in places and at times I'm riding a thin single track with deep rain ruts on either side. As I decend through this section there's more than a few pucker moments.

We get into some really dense jungle and ride down into a stream bed. We scout around but can't see a way out of here, so we have to wait.

The trail out is up stream about 30 metres. And its steep.

Once again I'm amazed at what these 4x4's can do. Sam makes it look easy and winches up using a tree as an anchor and then lowers a cable to us and the winching crews in the mud below.

These guys really earn their keep

We push on.

KTMInduro screwed with this post 06-26-2010 at 08:22 AM
Old 06-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
WarLlama
belligerent cameloid

Oddometer: 15,884
Quote:
We have hung out wet riding gear all over our bikes to dry out in the early morning sun. Every minute more and more bees are settling on it.

The convoy is due to roll at 8 but we decide to split early and get away from these bastard bees. The guys pull out and I'm a bit further behind them, pulling on my gear, and as the guys speed off, all of the bees that were on their gear and buzzing around their heads decend on me

I now have a massive swarm of bees around me and the bike. I desperatly try to pull my gear on. I'm getting stung all the time and as I pull my helmet on there's bees inside it too. I'm running all over the place whilst I try to get my gear on whilst also ripping it off (if you know what I mean) trying to escape them.

When I get back to my bike, the whole seat and the grips on the bike are covered in a carpet of hundreds of bees. My gloves are too and as I try to start the bike, I find I can't work the throttle due to it being alive and I get stung many times again .

The stings are thankfully fairly weak. Its the swarming , noise and just the sheer quantity of them that is totally freaking me out. Bees are now back inside my helmet and all over my safety jacket and pants. I start shouting my head off in semi panic , finally running as fast as I can away from my bike, ripping off my gear.

One of the guys from a nearby 4x4 rushes up to me and sprays me and my gear with half a can of Baygon mosquito killer. He then goes over and empties the other half on the bike !!

This gives me a small window of opportunity and I jump on the bike, gear hanging off me and pin it out of the camp, holding my helmet and with my camelbak in my lap.

Hilarious!

*Only because its not me, if it was I'd be freaking out too.
WarLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #12
drmracni
Montenegro

Oddometer: 273
man, this is a dream, from the chair

Honda Dominator
- https://www.facebook.com/niksicadventure
-Montenegro ride http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481614
drmracni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #13
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,591
As everyone has mentioned the report is stellar!!

Also thanks for the PM .

You said Sam had scouted the trail previously. Do you know how Sam scouted the trail (walking?)? Using Google earth for planning the majority of the ride I think would be useless due to the jungle density not showing any visible trail, was he using old logging maps? How'd he put this track together ??

That terrain is impressive and getting through with vehicles is a huge tip of the hat to you boys.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #14
Siva
Canberra ACT OZ GSer

Oddometer: 681
... u should have taken a few pictures..when covered with beeeees.... ...

Bloody Fantastic Ride Report Mate

Quote:

Day 7

BC 5 to BC 6 @ Tumbang Mahop

Old 06-29-2010, 04:38 AM   #15
KTMInduro OP
Off Road Montster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva
... u should have taken a few pictures..when covered with beeeees.... ...

Bloody Fantastic Ride Report Mate
Yeah - I guess me halfway into my panic attack being chased by a swarm of bees would have made for some good action shots