User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
FIIG Rick OP
FAT CHICKS NEED LOVIN TOO

Oddometer: 690
21 inch front

who's done it, how hard is it, pro's and con's ??
FIIG Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:02 AM   #2
Inprogress
Adventure forthcoming

Oddometer: 207
not sure where in the world...

Think I saw someone over at UKGser that did the conversion. Might want to go check out there. Think they said it was great, but highspeed traveling seemed a bit more wobbly.......BUT I'm talking under correction. Rather get a HP2 and be done with it wink

Democracy and politics is a conflict of interest
Inprogress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 542
Try a search of this site for Woody's wheels and 21 front. more than a few threads...

google search results
csustewy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
Boxerlove
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I have a 21" on my 05 R12GS. I didn't do the full conversion with the wunderlich lower fork clamp and rally mud guard though if thats the conversion you are talking about. I got my wheel from Woody's and kept the original lower fork clamp but I can not use the stock lower mud guard (because of clearance) so I run without it. I really love the 21" though. It really helps a lot off road and doesn't sacrifice much on road. Straight line high speed is more stable now along with fast sweepers. You really only notice a differance on the tight corners on road. Off road it tracks much better, rolls over large obstacles better, adds a little extra ground clearance and alows for slighty faster speeds. The only negative is that without the front lower mud guard there is more tire spray when its raining or when you are going through mud. Call woody though he is very helpful and has all the answers.
Boxerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:39 AM   #5
FIIG Rick OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlove
I have a 21" on my 05 R12GS. I didn't do the full conversion with the wunderlich lower fork clamp and rally mud guard though if thats the conversion you are talking about. I got my wheel from Woody's and kept the original lower fork clamp but I can not use the stock lower mud guard (because of clearance) so I run without it. I really love the 21" though. It really helps a lot off road and doesn't sacrifice much on road. Straight line high speed is more stable now along with fast sweepers. You really only notice a differance on the tight corners on road. Off road it tracks much better, rolls over large obstacles better, adds a little extra ground clearance and alows for slighty faster speeds. The only negative is that without the front lower mud guard there is more tire spray when its raining or when you are going through mud. Call woody though he is very helpful and has all the answers.
How much better in sand??
Could you post up some pics of the bike and the wheel etc, also any problems you came across, did you sacrifice your front wheel for the hub or did you get a complete new one?
Old 06-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIIG Rick
Did it to my 01' GS. It is a bolt on and go once you have the 21" wheel. Someone will have to lace one up for you. GS wheels are not as easy to lace up as your standard tube wheel.

Pro- Lots of fun in the dirt, far more stable at speed.

Cons- Not near as good on the street as a 19". The profile on a 19" TKC is nice and round, the 21" TKC is very square.

I ran to sets of wheels, took about 15 min to swap out the wheels each time.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
Boxerlove
Gnarly Adventurer

I haven't had it in deep sand yet with the 21" but i was at the dumont dunes in ca with the 19" and it did well. I have had it in some sand and a lot of deep sticky mud and it definitely does better. There is less rolling resistance in the front and it is easier to steer. I haven't run into any problems at all from it. I did sacrifice my 19" wheel because it was bent. I sent my front and rear wheels to woody's in co and had him lace an HP2 outer wheel to my original hub and at the same time I had him anodize both wheels black. let me know if you have anymore questions.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
FIIG Rick OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlove
I haven't had it in deep sand yet with the 21" but i was at the dumont dunes in ca with the 19" and it did well. I have had it in some sand and a lot of deep sticky mud and it definitely does better. There is less rolling resistance in the front and it is easier to steer. I haven't run into any problems at all from it. I did sacrifice my 19" wheel because it was bent. I sent my front and rear wheels to woody's in co and had him lace an HP2 outer wheel to my original hub and at the same time I had him anodize both wheels black. let me know if you have anymore questions.

Looks like you have been having fun, any problems with mud, sems to be min clearance between the wheel and the brace, or does it clear itself ok
Had some issues with that before.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:27 AM   #9
Boxerlove
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Looks like you have been having fun, any problems with mud, sems to be min clearance between the wheel and the brace, or does it clear itself ok
Had some issues with that before.

Yeah the bike is tons of fun! I have zero issues with it. If you look at a 650gs dakar it has similar clearance also. It works like a squeegee clearing the mud from the tire. If you try and use the oem lower mud guard it will get plugged up with mud though so I just run without it.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:01 AM   #10
FIIG Rick OP

[quote=Boxerlove]Yeah the bike is tons of fun! I have zero issues with it. If you look at a 650gs dakar it has similar clearance also. It works like a squeegee clearing the mud from the tire. If you try and use the oem lower mud guard it will get plugged up with mud though so I just run without it.[/quote
Just so happens the wifes got a 650 dakar, I washed it today (cause I got it dirty last weekend) and I was looking at it and comparing!
I'm gunna go for it, I've E mailed Woodys and I'm guna go with an 18/21 combo, plus a susspension upgade, can't wait!
I almost went Orange (990) until I convinced myself to go with the upgrade.
Those pics of your bike look great, so many people buy a Gs or a GSA and don't get them dirty, the Mid Life Crisis mob.

A recent trip up north of Western Australia made me want the 21 inch front wheel. take a look!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583965

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585143
Old 06-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #11
Kiwirich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Wink It's realy good

Hi Rick,
I have the "TT" 21 inch front with a Saxxes rim on the 1200 GS Hub. The differences I've found so far are.

1. Surprisingly better in loose gravel & sand ( a lot more planted)
2. No real difference in Road manners until you really start pushing hard (dragging the pegs, 180 Kmh + etc)
3. You lose the last 5 % braking before Lockup

It makes it easy to forget the 300 KG until old Mrs physics catches up & it's time for a wee lie down ( after sliding)

Regards
Richard
Kiwirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #12
Boxerlove
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Just so happens the wifes got a 650 dakar, I washed it today (cause I got it dirty last weekend) and I was looking at it and comparing!
I'm gunna go for it, I've E mailed Woodys and I'm guna go with an 18/21 combo, plus a susspension upgade, can't wait!
I almost went Orange (990) until I convinced myself to go with the upgrade.
Those pics of your bike look great, so many people buy a Gs or a GSA and don't get them dirty, the Mid Life Crisis mob.

A recent trip up north of Western Australia made me want the 21 inch front wheel. take a look!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583965

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585143

Wow I'm jealous!!! that looks like an awesome trip. I like those samurai's I used to have one for rock crawling. I prolly should of gotten the 18" rear too. Let me know how you like it. The 990's are nice too but there is nothing like having a nice air cooled boxer and with the 21" front and suspension mod you can do just as much off road if not more with the GS plus still being way better on road. I wish BMW would have a 21" option from the factory. Then it would be a true predecessor of the R80GS. I agree though not enough people like to get there GS dirty just like to so many of the land rovers nowadays. Here is a few pics of me just messing around at my local spot.

http://photobucket.com/R1200GS_album

Boxerlove screwed with this post 06-27-2010 at 02:10 PM
Old 06-25-2010, 10:04 AM   #13
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,338
here's some threads with more info

Quote:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=532368&page=4

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18387

or alternative
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311887

or for more questions use this thread in vendor forum
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145899

w
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #14
Martincito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
What tire are you guys using on the 21" front?
TKC-80 or something else?
S1000RR 2011
Martincito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #15
Boxerlove
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martincito
What tire are you guys using on the 21" front?
TKC-80 or something else?
There are a lot more choices for a 21" rim than with a 19" but i'm still using the trusted TKC's.