User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Build thread blah blah blah R75/6 "Ernst"

So I asked, and you have spoken. Well, three of you, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale
Dooooo it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Are you kidding?

It's what makes the Old School world go round.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg
I haven't had a chance to give a complete stranger bad advice, for a while!....

So for my 40th birthday Mrs. melville got me this:

She did it because she knew I wanted a bike but was too much of a responsible husband and father to actually go get one myself. She also had me sign a contract stipulating that the bike would be restored/refurbished, I'd take the MSF course(s), and no women on the bike other than her. She likes to have control, and I'm mostly OK with that. Note also that there are no carburetors mounted--they came in a box in a zillion pieces.

Two and a half years later (August of 2009), after two VW motors and a shoulder surgery, I got a carb rebuild kit and put them together and got the bike running so I could evaluate the motor and chassis before I took it all the way apart. Looked like this:

I put about ten miles on it, verified compression, observed leaks (PR tube seals) and then it came apart. Disassembly post to follow.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
east high
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 943
Where behind the Redwood curtain are you exactly? I grew up in Humboldt Co.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
jellycow
Back on track!

Oddometer: 719
That fairing tops every single other one I ever laid eyes on. It looks like it's been dragged through the forest where the ugly-trees grow, hitting every tree on the way and then going back the same route just to make sure it actually did hit every tree. Glad you took it off.

Nice project, keep us posted.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:32 AM   #4
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,429
But apparently very aerodynamic
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

east high: I'm in the college town.

jellycow and Padmei: I'm building it up naked (now there's a mental image), but I'm saving the fairing for my old age. My local Airhead guy calls it "That Bullet Train fairing."

The bike starts to come apart:

Not quite as fancy as blaine's stop motion video. Next: what was found in disassembly.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:00 AM   #6
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville
east high: I'm in the college town.
The one college in the whole county

I'm from the north edge of the town just south
Though my grandfolk used to own property in the town with the big airport to the north.

Good to see some resto action from the heart of the redwood empire here Melville.
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #7
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,673
Quote:

Not quite as fancy as blaine's stop motion video.
Yeah, but he didn't make his frame levitate.

That's a Hannigan fairing, you philistines.
I feel better now.

Lornce
in an unnamed college town.
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:58 AM   #8
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
So I asked, and you have spoken. Well, three of you, anyway.

So for my 40th birthday Mrs. melville got me this:

She did it because she knew I wanted a bike but was too much of a responsible husband and father to actually go get one myself. She also had me sign a contract stipulating that the bike would be restored/refurbished, I'd take the MSF course(s), and no women on the bike other than her. She likes to have control, and I'm mostly OK with that. Note also that there are no carburetors mounted--they came in a box in a zillion pieces.

Two and a half years later (August of 2009), after two VW motors and a shoulder surgery, I got a carb rebuild kit and put them together and got the bike running so I could evaluate the motor and chassis before I took it all the way apart. Looked like this:

I put about ten miles on it, verified compression, observed leaks (PR tube seals) and then it came apart. Disassembly post to follow.
From that bit with the crankcase vent, the PO was an idiot. beware other idiocies. The forks need rebuild. Not costly.The shocks need replaced---that one can be expensive. Examine the inside of the frame around the battery for battery fume rust. Rust under the master cylinder is common. Rebuild it. paint frame. Examine the weldnuts for the muffler hangers closely for stripping or crossed threads. . Replace if they are flaky---easy to do before you paint. Save the fairing, it is valuable---including all bolts and brackets. The oil leakage looks typical, maybe a bit heavy if it's washed the dirt off. You want a push rod seal drift, you will use it again and again to keep the pushrod seals tight. The only other special tools for regular work is an exhast nut wrench and decent swingarm pivot socket. . You can make the tools to do the fork rebuild---a cut up beer can, some big washers, some hose clamps. if you change your fork oil you won't need them again for many, many years. Save all removed bearing races. You will need those again. The head bearings can be tough. Borrow the right tool, buy one from Ed Korn or do the weld-bead procedure. I've done it with a Dremel. A PITA. It's ugly but if you keep your adjustment correct the bearings will last forever. Get a push greaser for the swing arm---the $6 one for chainsaws work great. Also buy or have made a better socket for torquing the swing arm bolts. it's a standard socket tuned down a skinch. Cheap to have done at a machine shop. You will use it many times to set the swing arm preloads. You can make your own clutch removal tools. The clutch is very close to a VW clutch. Some longer bolts, some peices of tubing and some nuts will ease it apart evenly. You can re-assemble by eye without a pilot if you have a good eye. Make sure you have the one-use-only bolts on hand before reassembly---con-rods and the main u-joint at the rear of the tranny. Make sure the length is correct. minimum cost but takes time to get them. Replace all gaskets and rubber. ESPECIALLY the rubber boot on the end of the cable going into the tranny---that one leaks and gets water in the tranny oil. (I think it's the speedo cable) Cut a slot in the ground cable at the tranny to avoid having to remove the bolt to get the ground strap off. Saves stripping it. Examine the hole to see if it has been pre-stripped for you. Check the runout on the cam nose. You can do anything except replace the cam and crank with the engine in the bike--so check that. Don't bother the timing chain unless you know it's bad. Replace the cam chain cover gasket if it leaks too much--other wise leave alone. Easy to do later. Examine oil pump parts. may as well while the clutch is out. Replace what is worn.

Oil pan looks unusual. Replace the pickup gaskets and threadlock the pickup part bolts.

Check the trueness of the wheels after setting the bearing preload and greasing. Fix what needs it.

White rust is a tough one. Beadblasting removes it but once it's there it returns quickly. Some people paint. I tried impregnating the porous castings with wax one time. Put em in a low oven, just hot enough to melt the wax, and did coat after thin coat of Johnsons paste wax. Stunk up the house. Seemed to hold up in the salt air of coastal California. Did a thin surface coat of wax on the castings when washing bike.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,457
I'm in, looking good.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

OK then popcorn munchers.

Got the hubs together (new bearings throughout) with heat and a press, then started in to lacing them up. Bicycle people will recognize me as a "Schwinn Method" wheelbuilder:

In the stand for initial tensioning. That's a Park bicycle truing stand--using the black knob on the bottom it will compress the top hats enough to true it using the hub bearings:

The truing was done with a dial indicator and I've misplaced the pix of that setup. Once tensioned and trued I had some questions about the bearing adjustment, something not covered in any depth in the Haynes manual. Thankfully, Duane wrote all about it and put it on the InterWebs and I did a bench check of the adjustment. Axle clamped in soft jaws, spacers to simulate FD:

And torqued going up 5 ft-lbs. at a time and checking for play at each level:

Found the rear a wee spot loose with a 7.05mm wedding band. Found the front TIGHT with a 6.65mm WB. I'm going to redo the front hub to make sure the outers are fully seated, and if still tight I'll try the 7.05mm WB to figure out what I need. For the rear, I'm going to do a tiny bit of 400 grit sanding to the existing WB to snug it up after I get the front squared away.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
melville OP
Beastly Adventurer

I think I'm done polishing for this build. Finished the caliper and clutch lever today. I was going to paint the caliper, bought the paint and even applied it but it looked like dookie. Had to sand it off and work the caliper even more, as the casting pits that would have been filled by paint had to come out. All identifying marks are gone--ATE can reasonably deny involvement.

I was unhappy with the tool marks on the casting part line:

But once I started in on that, what remained of the OG paint acted as a guide coat showing me other flaws:

Where it stood before I painted it:

After removing the paint and getting the remaining casting pits out:

And finally polished, with its buddies the levers and throttle cover:

Old 06-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #12
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,673
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #13
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,926
Are you building a Harley?

Just messing. I'm definitely following this build :)
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote