ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Sierra Nevada Foothill Rides - San Andreas to Oakhurst

I went ahead and started a new thread which carries over from the "New guy in the Sierra foothills thread". From what I can gather, most of us are in Stanislaus, Merced, Toulumne, and Mariposa counties. If others want to participate, feel free to join in? I am open to riding other areas aswell, if someone knows of some good spots?

Later, Jason.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Oddometer: 347
Subscribed.

----------------------------------
Good government is no substitute for self-government. Mahatma Gandhi

That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson
Memnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
ADVMindset
Americana Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,137
New to the Sierras

New to the area rider subscribed....

Now, may I ask what are your boundries going to be towards the east ?
Being new to the area, I'm doing as much riding/exploring as I can get away with !

This was a ride I went on yesterday, we were planning to try and go this route Saturday in the Jeep but with the feedback I received I thought I'd scout it out ahead of time and glad I did !
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593008

Neat area but, finding the same thing I have on other rides...trail markers either missing or destroyed... Even with a F.S. map it is tough to tell sometimes which rode is which.
Looking forward to many more trips such as this. If any of You locals can get away throughout the week for a ride, P.M. Me
ADVMindset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
cooter69
Smells Bad

Oddometer: 149
Good to see folks out there
I live in Yosemite would like to hook up for some rides sometime......
cooter69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
I hope we can organize some rides this summer/fall.....Any final decisions on July3rd? anyone Game!!!!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
Lasherman
Ah Sh!t!

Oddometer: 199
I think my brother (Memnok) and I are going to ride that day either way....If people want to come join us cool. He is the one with the GPS and tracks So I'll follow where he plans to ride.
Lasherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
Odin69 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B
I hope we can organize some rides this summer/fall.....Any final decisions on July3rd? anyone Game!!!!
I'm ready. Where do you guys want to meet and what area do you want to ride?

Jason.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter69
Good to see folks out there
I live in Yosemite would like to hook up for some rides sometime......
forresta??
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:44 AM   #9
LookOutLinn
Strom Trooper

Oddometer: 257
Talking

Hello all.

Looks like most of you are riding more dirt friendly bikes than what I've got (V-Strom 650), but I think I'm gonna have to stretch my Wees capabilities a little so I can join you all on a ride or two. All those dirt and gravel roads are just way to inviting.
LookOutLinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:24 AM   #10
cooter69
Smells Bad

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf
forresta??
Nope Yosemite Valley
cooter69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Went on another ride into the Briceburg area yesterday. This time Gary "the clock doc" came along. I guess technically, I went along with him, since he left a note on my truck asking if I wanted to go for a ride. We left Turlock at about 8:30am in what was a freak cold spell. I had to brake out with the jacket and liner so I didn't freeze my butt off on the ride up to Briceburg.

Both Gary and I changed over to larger front sprockets for the pavement, which made the long stretches of asphalt much easier on the way. We headed out through Snelling and Hornitos, like last time. But his time I wanted to try a small road a bit closer to Hwy 140 than Old Toll. But as luck would have it, there was a gate. We figured we were close enough to 140 that it would be faster than backtracking to Old Toll, so we jumped on the highway and headed into Mariposa where we topped off the tanks.

I didn't take many photos, the scenery was much like the last ride, but I did grab a few.

Here is a link to the Google Maps view of the trip.

The ride:

Forrest of burned trees:

On the Garmin showed this as a through rout, but it looks like the BLM guys have used a bunch of downed trees to make a closure:

We came across this group parked on one of the smaller trails. They were prospecting for gold, and were nice enough to move their vehicles over a bit so we could squeeze by.

Gary found out that there is no replacing a good set of knobby tires when he slipped into a deep rut.

In his his defense, it really is one helluva steep hill, as you can see:

A brief stop along Old Coulterville Road:

After a couple really fun trails we ended up on a road that got narrower and narrower. I was behind Gary at this point, and I kept thingking he was going to turn back, but he kept going. As you can see, nothing with 4 wheels has been here, ever.

When we finally shouldered our way to the end of the trail we found a nice 6 to 7 foot drop onto the roadway. Photos never seem to capture how steep these things are. I'd say this was a good 70 to 80 degree incline at the steepest point.

After pushing through the trees we were both feeling a bit trail worn and headed to Greely Hill for a soda. It was getting late, so we topped off our tanks and headed down to Coulterville and home via Hwy 132.

I made a small video, but be nice, it's hard to ride one handed holding a camera.

That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves. - Thomas Jefferson

Memnok screwed with this post 08-29-2010 at 06:11 PM
Old 01-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #12
dtp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Hey all... thought I'd resurrect our thread back from the dead - or at least save it from mediocrity slogging about way back on page 4. Hope your new year is going well!

Here is a chance to maybe meet one or two of you... I am having a slight issue with my throttle cables and getting them adjusted properly. Any of you in/near Turlock willing to come over (or I could ride to you) and take a looksie at it?

I am thinking of running the Prairie City Grand Prix on the 16th and want to get the bike all squared-away.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
Memnok
Fly high, go far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtp View Post
Here is a chance to maybe meet one or two of you... I am having a slight issue with my throttle cables and getting them adjusted properly. Any of you in/near Turlock willing to come over (or I could ride to you) and take a looksie at it?

I am thinking of running the Prairie City Grand Prix on the 16th and want to get the bike all squared-away.
I'm not too far away, and I have Fridays/Saturdays off. Check you're PM's for a message.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #14
Boulder Ed
Bin Ridin

Oddometer: 804
San Andreas>sheep ranch>avery>murphy and back

I just did this route yesterday and have done it 6 times in as many weeks . really nice....

Riding the GSA out of Wallace, but I'd really like to run the XR650R plated , on the forest roads up that way too. If someone wants to explore this area on weekends, ping me at ed8300@yahoo.com

ed

"Terrorizing small animals on the road since 1971"
Boulder Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #15
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Just got a lot of time on my hands...Will try and scout out some low country stuff the next few weeks, Hope the weather holds, has anyone from the area ventured east to the hills West of say Los Banos or Dos Palos?

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote