User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
pavement pounder OP
Dirt is the spice of life

Oddometer: 744
Might be the best $400 I have spent on my GS

I just installed a Hyperpro steering damper on my .08 1200 and I can sum up the difference in two words

WOW

wait, that's one word. I honestly don't know why I didn't put one on earlier. Ok, the $700 ones where a bit pricey for a what if... but when hyperpro came out with a kit for around $ 400 clams, I decided to try it out. Major reduction in rider fatigue if you ride highway, less wind fatigue and it stays planted in gravel. Other than my Elka shocks whick cost way more but perform sooooo well (i think this is the best money I spent so far) the steering damper is the best money I have spent for handling/performance.

I got one during a group buy. You'll have to get one next time they offer it!

Charlie B. (The other Boorman)
Trans-Lab 2010 - James Bay 2011 - Shenandoah to Deal's Gap 2011
pavement pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
GeoAggie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Awesome . . . . have one on my ST1300. Does the GS unit mount under the trip clamp? Thanks,

Jeff
GeoAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,643
Why do you need a damper on a GS? I don't need or want one.....
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by def
I never felt the need either. What, exactly, does it do for the GS on and off road?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
I am on my 3rd R1200GS. I put the Hyper pro on before a trip from Wisconsin to Utah. My 2010 R1200GS now has over 12000 miles on it. It only takes a few thousandth of an inch of handle bar movement to steer and balance it. It makes it a little less twitchy on the highway, on grooved pavement, passing trucks. easier to move up and down stepped pavement. Off road it helps to keep the bars straight when hitting rocks, in sand, and spinning the rear wheel going up hill. Worth every penny. In 13 years of riding and over half a million miles I found out last February that the less you move the bars the better off you are.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
OGRE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Back in 2002 I was riding my fully-loaded R1150GS up a very rocky road toward Colockum Pass. The road was full of big rocks. One moment I was riding up the road, and the next moment I had my GS off the road, parked right between two giant rocks. That was the bad news. The good news was, you couldn't have positioned those rocks better for my GS if you spent two hours trying to get them just right! No damage! Other than the right-side system bag getting peeled off the mounts, but it was not harmed!

We built a little ramp to get back on the road, only going back downhill, and got my bike back up, off the side of the hill. It was really hot, and I was toasted. I loaded all my stuff back on, including Zeke the Motodog in his kennel crate, and then we rode into Wenatchee to fine a motel with a pool.

Wonder if I'd had one of those dampers on the bike she'd have kept on going up the road, despite hitting that rock? Probably I would have dumped it on the river crossing trying to get into camp...
Old 07-06-2010, 11:26 AM   #7
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I never felt the need either. What, exactly, does it do for the GS on and off road?

Jim
On road advantages for my Scott's damper:

- No bar twitch when landing a wheelie.

- Total stability in 50 mph or so cross winds (highest I've been on since I got the damper). I assume it will help in higher winds to.

- Took away any hint of nervousness from truck buffeting

- Took away any hint of grooved pavement/edge trap induced nervousness

- Gives the bike "bike is on rails" feel through sweepers regardless of pavement roughness or wind buffeting.

Off road advantages:

- removed at least 90 percent of nervousness in sand at slow speeds

- removed at least 90 percent of nervousness from hitting rocks/ruts

- have not had a hint of slow sand induced tank slapper (maybe I just got better at riding sand?)

I am sure there are lots of Rossi level capable riders who whould never want or need a damper on a GS. For myself, of more modest abilities, it sure seems to work exceptionally well. I am also hoping when/if I end up hitting some object in traffic on the freeway that the damper will give me an edge in keeping the rubber side down.

I too agree that it is about the best bang for the buck I have spent on the bike. Is there a single person who has put one on that is in the naysayer camp?

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob

- Total stability in 50 mph or so cross winds (highest I've been on since I got the damper). I assume it will help in higher winds to.

- Gives the bike "bike is on rails" feel through sweepers regardless of pavement roughness or wind buffeting.

Off road advantages:

- have not had a hint of slow sand induced tank slapper (maybe I just got better at riding sand?)

I am sure there are lots of Rossi level capable riders who whould never want or need a damper on a GS. For myself, of more modest abilities, it sure seems to work exceptionally well. I am also hoping when/if I end up hitting some object in traffic on the freeway that the damper will give me an edge in keeping the rubber side down.

I too agree that it is about the best bang for the buck I have spent on the bike. Is there a single person who has put one on that is in the naysayer camp?
Thanks for the responses. Though I have never felt the need for one, I am glad others are finding the relief they desire.

As for anyone saying they didn't see any improvement, well, at $400 who would admit that kind of mistake?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
motorcity
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Steering dampers not needed on a GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob

Off road advantages:

Steering dampers are primarily used to keep high speed wobble from turning into a tank slapper.

I have never heard of a GS having a tank slapper - I am sure they do- just not a very common thing.

You are saying that they take away of any hint of nervousness from truck buffeting makes no sense to me. The steering damper should not affect small, micro steering inputs. I could be wrong, but the way i understand it is The steering damper should only come into play when you have a a fast, large movement of the steering. The steering damper absorbs that energy - preventing a tank slapper.

I suspect what you are experiencing is psychological from having spent 400 bucks on something that you actually need to remove from your bike (or disable it) if you take it off road.
motorcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #10
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I never felt the need either.

Jim

Yea me neither. In over 50k miles of rough roads, uneven pavement, windy conditions, and passing trucks has the 1100GS felt anything less than rock steady.
Twitchy simply isn't in this bike's vocabulary.

I'll be leaving the money in the bank for a transmission upgrade some day when it's starts to skip.
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
davidmc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post
Yea me neither. In over 50k miles of rough roads, uneven pavement, windy conditions, and passing trucks has the 1100GS felt anything less than rock steady.

I'll be leaving the money in the bank for a transmission upgrade some day when it's starts to skip.

Ok, if you have doubts about the effectiveness of a steering damper try this little experiment:

1. Find your favorite two lane twisty road and on a nice high speed sweeper place one 2x4 in the road, say 2 or 3 feet long.

2. Ride a bike without a steering damper and hit the 2x4 at 60+ MPH, preferably leaned over a bit. Do your best to stay loose and calm as the handlebars are nearly ripped out of your hands.

3. Ride the same bike with a steering damper over the same 2x4 at the same speed and lean as in #2. Notice how the handlebars stay relatively calm. Now ask yourself if the steering damper makes a difference.

Think this is an unrealistic experiment? Well this happened to me on the freeway on one of my bikes without a damper and I came very close to crashing in heavy commute traffic after hitting said 2x4 and having the handlebars yanked from my hands. I don't know how I managed to control the bike, but I was lucky the pavement was dry. It scared me to death. I too never thought I needed a steering damper until after that incident....

Headshake is not why I bought my damper, it is the ability to hit an object in the road and live to tell about it. If you have ever had a big tank slapper from hitting something you will know what I mean. I consider a steering damper a safety device, just like ABS. I'll never have a bike without one again.

davidmc screwed with this post 12-28-2010 at 04:42 PM
davidmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #12
WildAnCrazymtl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,921

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post

+1

As I read the thread I was begining to think I was not pushing my bike enough... Even though I am usually going the quickest and usually riding two up and more often that not I am over packed. This being said the bike is rock steady and compared to anything I have riden in the past. It is by far the most predictable bike I have ever riden. Most of my riding is on back roads and a little gravel and dirt. The bike is equiped with ESA and conti trail attacks.

In my opinion a stearing damper on a GS is kinda like tits on a bull...

However to each his own... If others believe it makes their bike better... I also believe it makes their bike better...

Like a placebo...

WildAnCrazymtl screwed with this post 01-29-2011 at 05:23 PM
WildAnCrazymtl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Im intrested! I'dlike to get my "wobble" out of the frond end when i land after takeoff when crossing railwaycrossings at 80miles/h
2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:06 AM   #14
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,978
Thumb

...the PO of my '05 GS did that very railroad crossing thing and tanked it. End result was me getting a salvaged R12GS that I otherwise could not a afford.
I never had a satbilzer on a bike outside what came on my 77RS so didn't know what I was missing. Now I have one on both my bikes, dirt and street.
The subtle benefits will outweigh the cost. In other words, you won't know what your missing until it's gone...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #15
CollinsB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2712 View Post
Im intrested! I'dlike to get my "wobble" out of the frond end when i land after takeoff when crossing railwaycrossings at 80miles/h
Steering dampner would more than likely solve this issue. I'm convinced you won't want another bike without one.
CollinsB is offline   Reply With Quote