Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,066
Wicked How to make your own Carbon Fiber/Kevlar Bash plate....

There are many great bash guards available to buy.......But I like the idea of a light weight....500-750 grams....carbon fiber/kevlar bash plate, that will out perform anything made of aluminum. The project will have two phases. Design and Build. During the design phase, I will be using polystyrene foam plates to construct a base mold. The build phase.....I will layup the fabrics along with the honeycomb material. In case you`ve missed it.....here is a thread on a easier project I just finished.......

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603891

A few things to note.... You will be designing your own plate here..... So plan accordingly..... ie....Coffee...espresso...sammiches...beer....wate r.... Whatever you desire.....have patience, and take your time, so not to get frustrated. First I went to the local hobby lobby and got two 1/2 inch and one 1 inch foam panels.......

Then I measured the rough length that I wanted.......

Then it is literally a matter of methodically adding one piece at a time.....

Constantly putting it on the bike....verifying that all is well.......

Then.....after 5 hrs of cut.....sand.....cut some more...... Glue....( 3m contact glue).....cut some more.......Drink espresso..... Then it finally looks like this........

That took a while...... But I thought I`d ask for your input..... Something missing.....to add.....etc.... Before I start the second phase........

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
TastyPants
Harasshole

Oddometer: 216

Nice I was looking forward to this.

What about strategically placed holes for oil changes etc? Maybe thats in the next phase...
TastyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Hmmm that looks like a foam bash plate.

Good work mate, looking forward to the results.

RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD800
Hmmm that looks like a foam bash plate.

Good work mate, looking forward to the results.
It`s ballistic foam............ Yeppers..... The tough part is over...... If approved......The foam will be covered in the next few days.....But I`m sure there will be more trimming needed.....

Erling
Old 07-30-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
TastyPants
Harasshole

Oddometer: 216
Hey ebrabaek, can you post a list of supplies like you did in the other thread (or just say same stuff)? I am going to place some orders this weekend. Picking up my Foam too so I can start playing
TastyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:44 AM   #6
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyPants
Hey ebrabaek, can you post a list of supplies like you did in the other thread (or just say same stuff)? I am going to place some orders this weekend. Picking up my Foam too so I can start playing
I will..... But I`m nut sure which epoxy to use yet. So actually so far..... The only two known things are the foam board.......as in first picture...... and the 3m contact cement spray. I am going to do some testing today in regards to the choice of epoxy. I am/was planning on using a high temp epoxy.....But it needs post cure at a min. of 250 deg. F......and due to it`s size.....only way that will work is with a heat lamp....... But then I don`t think that the foam will hold up....... So I will make a test sample.....cook it....and see what happens......

Erling
Old 07-30-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastyPants

Nice I was looking forward to this.

What about strategically placed holes for oil changes etc? Maybe thats in the next phase...
That`s the beauty of the doityourself.....You can get exactly what you want.....After the foam is verified..... I will then get to work on the mounts.....cooling holes....oil drain....etc....

Erling