Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
jabandsnort OP
a mighty fly dancer

Oddometer: 192
Laugh WTF, let's ride the Sierra passes!

For the last couple years, my buddy Geddo and I have done a moto-vacation. (you can read about our previous exploits here: Utah WSBK and here: San Jose to Victoria B.C.) This year, however, we were having trouble figuring out where to go. We've gone North, we've headed east, so maybe we're due for a trip down South!?!? Well, yeah, we're due, but busy spring schedules for both of us, and a busted tib/fib on BXR, our companion from last year, forced us into an early August departure at the earliest, which, unfortunately, is a bad time to go South. Add to the mix the fact that we both have young children and are limited to the amount of time we're able to skip town and our options become more limited still... what to do? WTF, let's just ride some Sierra passes. Once that was decided, we came up with a 6 day, 5 night plan that would have us shooting up the California coast from our homes in San Jose, cutting across the state and playing in the Sierras for 4 days. We hoped BXR would be able to join us with such a late departure (shoot, Valentino Rossi was racing in 6 weeks after the same injury!) but as the date got closer we realized that it wasn't going to be. So, one stooge down, Geddo and I were off to the Sierras.

jabandsnort screwed with this post 08-12-2010 at 10:24 AM
jabandsnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
jabandsnort OP
a mighty fly dancer

Cry Act 1

After an hour or so of highly detailed planning on the back of some cocktail napkins, Geddo and I were finally ready to go. We decided to leave on a Sunday to avoid traffic, and allow for a Friday return which would then give us the weekend to recuperate from our travel induced aches and pains. Here's the pig ready to go, looking much the same as it has the last two years with the exception of the Pelican rear case mounted to a MCPPARTS rear rack and my MotoFizz mounted to a pillion plate from the same manufacturer. (For you GS guys out there, these parts are amazing, I can't recommend them highly enough)

The ride started well with a beautiful, if foggy, cruise over the Golden Gate.

We normally avoid big highways like the plague, but to make the most of our time we planned to slab it up 101 all the way to 128 at which time we'd jump over to 1 for some coastal views before we headed inland for the mountains. Right at the 101/128 junction we stopped at a BBQ joint. I forget the name, but this is what the parking lot looks like:

The food was good, I'd recommend it if you're in the area. Anyway, FINALLY, some nice twisty roads, 128 here we come!!

Hey, wait a minute, where's Geddo!?!? What's he doing back there on the side of the road?

What? The oil light came on? Does it need oil?

F*&K

and finally

Damn. Anybody know a good Guzzi mechanic in the Bay Area? What's next? Vacation over so soon? Nah, stay tuned for Act 2: You meet the nicest (and oldest) people on a Honda.

jabandsnort screwed with this post 08-11-2010 at 11:10 PM
Old 08-06-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabandsnort

Damn. Anybody know a good Guzzi mechanic in the Bay Area? What's next? Vacation over so soon? Nah, stay tuned for Act 2: You meet the nicest (and oldest) people on a Honda.

Please be ok, little Guzzi.

Was there a KLR under that bed roll?
Old 08-07-2010, 05:58 AM   #4
teachnsurf
Bonnie Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
D'Oh!

Oh, man. What a place to leave us hanging.

I can't wait to see what happens.
This is my Bonneville. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My Bonneville is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My Bonneville, without me, is useless. Without my Bonneville, I am useless. I must ride my Bonneville true. I must ride faster than my enemy who is trying to beat me. I must beat him before he beats me. I will.

1st Epic Journey

teachnsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
jabandsnort OP
a mighty fly dancer

What to do, what to do... ?

Being that it was a Sunday, and pretty much everything worth wild motorcycle related was going to be closed until Tuesday, we had no choice but to call off the ride and regroup. Geddo, to his credit, wanting to preserve our much needed moto-vacation pretty much said right away that he'd start looking for a rental. Fingers crossed, we tentatively planned for a Tuesday departure for a slightly abbreviated tour of some Sierra passes. Sorry coast, maybe we'll see you next year.
Fast forward to Tuesday morning at 11:00am, here comes Geddo on his shiny, (relatively) new rental Honda ST1300!

(pay no attention to the finger obscuring Geddo's head, I'm new at taking pics while riding)
Anyway, off we go! The route for day one was fairly simple, 152E, 99N, 140E, 49N, 120E over the Tioga Pass to camp somewhere on the other side. We never make reservations, preferring instead to keep our options open.
Here's on of the few pics where he's actually behind me, come to find out that although it seems terribly bland (sorry ST1300 owners, but it is) the ST is a super capable and fast machine.

120 is a beautiful road, you all should ride it at least once. Here's Geddo paying our toll (the silence you hear right now while looking at this pic, is about 2 decibles louder than the sound that comes out of the STs actual exhaust pipes)

Here's the pig at one of the rest stops

The first day was pretty uneventful, and we ended up camping at the same campground (and almost the same spot) as we had two years ago.

Next up, the Bodie Ghost town and the Sonora and Ebbets passes.

jabandsnort screwed with this post 08-12-2010 at 04:33 PM
Old 08-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
SO CAL CHARLIE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
watch out for the bears around midnite in that pup tent