Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
Gimme 2 OP
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,949
Laugh Fat times in the Flinders Ranges!!

Pic Bunyeroo range

INTRO;Flinders ranges Gammon ranges Lake eyre.

This trip was sortof a last minute idea, after we cancelled the Cape york trip due to time. Originally three of us, we lost one Dave to a broken leg and then another Dave to a rooted seal!
So that leaft just Dan and myself!
It turns out we could'nt have timed it better ,a grader driver said, who's been workin the same stretch (Yunta to Arkacoola) for 38 years mentioned, they hav'nt had rain here for around ten years maybe 15, nothing but dust!
So you can imagine the scenery was spectacular and the riding , well it was just the best we've had on the big Orange 2 wheeled death machines.

Creek crossings galore , Impassable mud, sand, rock ,big puddles you could spray each other with.K's of wheel rutts Dips ,crest's ,Grids ,140 kl power slidie crners, Gorges rolling hills, rocky hill scrambles and an array of road surfaces to keep you on your toes made the next 2 and a half weeks just fly by!

Day 1

Pic 1 the memorial and 2 pure Carnage at a battlefeild in Turkey,poor blokes.
I left Home on a Sunday at round 9 and headed for Brissy about 1300 k's Nth to meet Danno. A nice big wheelie from excitement came and no sooner i was at the side of the road ripping the bike apart . There was no electrical fault afterall , just my thumb on the kill switch.
The plan was to take some nice roads North ,away from the Sunday drivers on the Princess hwy .
I peeled off at Batemans bay up the Clyde and into Goulburn, checked out the war memorial and shot off for Oberon Skirting the Blue mountains ...Magic !I continued on thru Bathurst and thru Sofala, nice little bit of tar that and made for the Goulburn river NP to camp!

Day 2

Rain up to Tenterfeild and then had a great ride thru Bald rock and into QLD, Boonah, Mogill ferry and then upto Dayboro ,Ocean Veiw for 2 nights.

Next day i decided it would be a good idea to get some new hoops, because these ones i come up on only had about another 500 dry k's in em maybe more.

Day 4

PLAN -Meet up with a mate and head out. Sounds easy!
Dan had shipped his bike from WA chucked a screen on some racks with Andyz on swaped the Marchesini's for Excels and wacked on a tank , he's never had it on the dirt!
4 hrs, one new battery, a bent brake lever, dropped bike and 2 wasted blokes from pushing later it helps to check the fuel taps are on We bid Bris goodbye! YEAH!

That night we made camp at mt Glorius i think we managed 80 k's, but it is Mt Glorius after all.
Day 5

Time to stretch the legs!!

To be continued..

Gimme 2 screwed with this post 08-07-2010 at 05:50 AM
Gimme 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,419

Old 08-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
tksmith
Another GS Freak

Oddometer: 1,069

Adventure On!!
tksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
Russ

Oddometer: 15,598
Great pics and RR so far subscribed this is going to be great, please keep it coming
Russ
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:29 AM   #5
pops
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,543
This will be good
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:22 AM   #6
Gimme 2 OP
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,949
Day 5

I was awoken with a flash in the face, friggin early, bloddy Dan , i love ya mate!

We packed up had a coffee and made our way down the western side of glorius...sweet, i'm glad i put those Mita's 50/50's on.

Pic Mt Glorius west side, Grabbin a pumpkin & Dans new bike!
From there it's all high speed stuff into Esk around the top near Somerset, so seeing we had'nt ridin together for a while , well we just ..well ...opened em up a little.

We took some back roads to Dalby , i decided on an oil change at Dalby moto, and Danno, already shitted off with his helmet choice decide to up grade to a visored Helmet.
We took some pics of the rear rubber just near Somerset Dam for the record , but on the whole were keen on getting off the tar .Dalby done we tore off to Nindigully!

Turns out we were a bit keen to get there , i could smell something burning .

As i lifted my head above my screen i knew it was'nt me ....o well just keep truckin.
When Dan came past me again i knew right away, it's Dan's bike!!

Fun tryin to slow some one down when your havin a blast and their on a Super enduro.

The tyre was smokin when we stopped and the psi 38.5 obviously not good.
Result of constant high speed/ hi psi? - one totalled rear RR tyre, the Nobs in the center were just like tea bags that had been gutted.

3.40 pm out side Westmar .....St George seemed our best chance for a tyre and Nindigully would have too wait!

We got on to Phil Haplin's. He own's the Holden shop and the Yammy dealer in St George ,who had 1 Rally Raid sittin right there in his rack.
Late in the day he fitted it right there for us , we were on the road by 5 30pm. Champion effort Phil, turn's out he got a KTM TWIN aswell. Man I love QLD!!

It's a beautiful site ...is'nt it!

It was already late and our camp hunting had turned up stuff all . We begrudgingly booked into the caravan park surrounded by whinging old buggers but not before grabbing a rib eye from the butcher behind the bottle 'o .
A Bundy,St George Rib eye and Mt Glorius Pumpkin on a gas BBQ later...... we called it a day, an expensive day aye Danno!

Day 6,

Plan to do the Darling......river!

We'll it's minus degrees in St George , we pack up in the dark and head out to join the Sunrise.

We trickle south to Dirribandi and thru Goodooga where we reintroduce the bikes to where they belong...... DIRT.
It's like releasing an animal back into the wild
. we feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

Speaking of animals , we come across some roadkill...our detective skills deduct it's way of death and the time, wadduya rekon Sherlock?.......I'd say it's pretty fresh! It would be a shame to leave it here in the middle of the roadto waste.Too right!!

While stopped we had some tuna on bread and cleaned up. Pine'o clean wipes are the trick btw..

We had lunch and a beer in The Port Of Bourke and took off towards Louth to hit some more DIRT

Were apparently in the real outback, oh well..... better do a wheelie!

Going to Louth We took a left off towards the Gundabooka range came across some nice tracs and an old homestead!

We decided to camp at the Gundabooka Campground and use the picnic table, made a huge fire made lotsa noise and cooked up some damper with the prize legs we'd scored earlier that day from the Bokhara river Butchery.

Cheeky Red Capped Robin

Yummy Yummy Yummy i got food in my tummy and the world is such a better place.
Today felt like a real day's ride.....maybe we were in the outback!Beautiful.

Day 7

Plan ride the Darling to meet Dave in Broken Hill.