Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2004, 08:17 PM   #1
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,205
Pissed Single 320MM rotor and fancy brake on the 950?

talking with my friend Mark today about the possibility of mounting a 320MM Full floating rotor from a supermotard kit plus a sofisticated 4 piston caliper(I don't remenber the brand the are anodize gold but they are not brembo) my head got to wonder, the funny part is that I happend to be at a motorcycle hang out and a ktm 525 was park right next to my bike...

well to make the story short,,aparentlly (i did not have a accurate way to measure) the rotor bolt pattern and Inner diameter size(hub flange) are the same,also the mount for the brake caliper features a extremlly similar bolt pattern and overall shape,,ergo if you can install a motard kit on the 525EXC you can also do it on the 950 hopefully improving the performance of the braking in a big way..

at the stage this is pure gestimation and wishful thinking,,so please if you have a way to get the accurate data post it here or even better if you know anybody that ever try it..get some feetback

I just don't think the lammeAss caliper that comes with the 950 is sufficient to stop the bike propertlly specially with a single rotor and then again i live for the last 10 years with the same stupid caliper in the back of the GS and let me tell you they do NOT have a Happy and trouble free life..

thanks in advance..
Old 11-27-2004, 08:23 PM   #2
Greg Minor
The Trespasser

Oddometer: 2,322
Some one on the board was working on this. I forget who
2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
1970 Honda SL 100 (green)
Greg Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 08:33 PM   #3
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Minor

Good.....

Mark is getting one him self so hopefully i will have something to report soon.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:41 PM   #4
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,034
I thought you showed a picture from someone at the Lake Elsinore race last year that had a single disc on a 950?

Jon
jdiaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 12:29 AM   #5
barbasma
100% CAROTONE

Oddometer: 1,821
hi ricardo

the LC4ADV front single disc and caliper (with the distancial) fit perfectly on 950...

i will go too to this solution with a set of excel rims
www.lc8.org
www.adventureschool.it
KTM 950 ADV S 2003 80.000 KM..... and gooooo...
barbasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:48 AM   #6
motozilla
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbasma
hi ricardo

the LC4ADV front single disc and caliper (with the distancial) fit perfectly on 950...

i will go too to this solution with a set of excel rims

NO THEY WILL NOT!!!!!

I have a set right here and first of all, the calliper is the same. Secondly the calliper hanger is different and won't work.
motozilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 12:44 AM   #7
KTMax
Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer: 1,099
When you're not using your 950 for 80% off road or more (but then, why would you buy a 950 in the first place?) I don't understand this mod.

For Meoni & Co. who ride their bikes through the desert and nothing else it does make sense IMO. The rally bikes have a small and light(er) 300mm rotor from the enduro models with the standard Brembo 2-pot we have too. A big 320 floating rotor with a 4-pot caliper won't shave off much unsprung weight. BTW, a floating rotor requires fixed mounting of the 4-pot caliper. Not the stock floating caliper setup.

The stock twin disk arrangement of the 950 is ok-to-good for street use but nothing more. Not nearly as good as the achors on the 12GS for instance. Amputating half the stopping power doesn't make much sense IMO. I don't think the 950 is a bike with a 'surplus' of brakes to say the least. A single 320 & 4-pot will bring back some of the lost power but by the time it gets up to the level of the stock brakes it'll suffer the same downsides off road too. But then together with the other downsides of a single disk setup too. Possible heat problems with street use but for sure handlebars pulling to one side on the brakes and twisting and flexing of the forks.

Years of Supermotards learned me all the virtues of single disk setups. With the same 48mm WP USD forks btw...

Pics & info @ MonoManiacs
KTMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 03:31 AM   #8
katoom_950
Life, 2 short 4 traffic

Oddometer: 343
The brake kit you refer to Ricardo is a Beringer unit.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:52 AM   #9
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMax
When you're not using your 950 for 80% off road or more (but then, why would you buy a 950 in the first place?) I don't understand this mod.

For Meoni & Co. who ride their bikes through the desert and nothing else it does make sense IMO. The rally bikes have a small and light(er) 300mm rotor from the enduro models with the standard Brembo 2-pot we have too. A big 320 floating rotor with a 4-pot caliper won't shave off much unsprung weight. BTW, a floating rotor requires fixed mounting of the 4-pot caliper. Not the stock floating caliper setup.

The stock twin disk arrangement of the 950 is ok-to-good for street use but nothing more. Not nearly as good as the achors on the 12GS for instance. Amputating half the stopping power doesn't make much sense IMO. I don't think the 950 is a bike with a 'surplus' of brakes to say the least. A single 320 & 4-pot will bring back some of the lost power but by the time it gets up to the level of the stock brakes it'll suffer the same downsides off road too. But then together with the other downsides of a single disk setup too. Possible heat problems with street use but for sure handlebars pulling to one side on the brakes and twisting and flexing of the forks.

Years of Supermotards learned me all the virtues of single disk setups. With the same 48mm WP USD forks btw...

KTMax I was sure you will come to the rescue,,exelent posting as ussual..

more than anything my interest is to replace the Puppy look shelf brakes calipers that come with the bike with something a little more efficient,,for me the bigger rotor with the bigger rotating mass is just the price to pay for the clearance require for a widder caliper..

My self I think I'm staying with the two rotor setup, since is more simetrical, in my view (impression) most people take the right caliper when they go to the high fender just because they do not know how to route the brake hose above the tyre, well hopefully that is soon to change,,i think I figure out a way(working on it) very pennytech but very clean to run the two hoses very well protected but not decreasing the mud clearance that much..

still Interesting to see the diferent possibilies, I still think the calipers on the KTM are not that great, but also before you fix the brakes you need to make sure that the suspension can take it.

thanks again for all the Input
Old 11-28-2004, 10:38 AM   #10
Greg Minor
The Trespasser

Quote:
When you're not using your 950 for 80% off road or more (but then, why would you buy a 950 in the first place?)
well why did you buy one I went to the single rotor for the weight savings and the fact that I have accidently locked up the front wheel a couple of times off road and almost planted my nose in the dirt. I have the second brake line that came with my fender kit so I can always put if back on for serious street duty. I don't think my 950 will see that much street use especially when I get my new 950 SM that will replace my Ducati. Hurry up KTM
2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625
Old 11-28-2004, 11:06 AM   #11
Ricardo Kuhn OP
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
actually that is a great question (thanks Greg)

Personally I got the 950 because I feel I was reaching the outer edge of the GS suspension capavilities Bert..to be my "Dirtbike" more than my street bike..and then keep the GS's for transporting loads and do long tours were dirt is less of a component.

but now that the swingarm broke on the 950, i'm scare of pushing the bike in the dirt, maybe i just need to get over it and hope the swing arm will never fail again or take mine apart and do a proper heat treatment to avoid stress rissers or maybe figure out a shock that will work better to take the loads,,

i don't know.. so far I just DO NOT trust the bike and i check it for cracks on it everytime I ride it..

also I got to ride R-dubb's 450EXC yesterday and for sure that is a bike you can trash all you want,(if you take care of the engine),maybe i did not know better or i just don't want to get into this whole car, trailer, transport crap, but for sure this bike remind me of my bicycle days,,hell my old "Intense M-1" downhill bike feel slower to turn and track that this beautyful orange monster.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:49 AM   #12
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Minor
[hijack]Hey Greg! Howya healin? I'm in escrow (selling the condo) and am gonna have $$ for a DS bike here in about 26 days. Any ETA on yer "get back to ridin day?"

M
[/hijack]
Old 03-02-2005, 04:56 PM   #13
Greg Minor
The Trespasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMike
[hijack]Hey Greg! Howya healin? I'm in escrow (selling the condo) and am gonna have $$ for a DS bike here in about 26 days. Any ETA on yer "get back to ridin day?"

M
[/hijack]
Mike I'm several months away I'm just starting my physical therapy today I walked for a little while without my crutch. After I'm healed up I then have to convince my wife to let me ride again As of now, its you ride I leave (mind you with half) She's afraid I end up like Chistopher Reeves I hoping time will help Good news on the bike :)
2003 Ducati Multistrada
2001 Honda XR 400
1988 C&J Honda 625