Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,427
SMIB's leaving the county...Newfoundland!

Well just getting the page started so, in a nutshell the wife (Dana) riding a 10 F650GS twin and myself (Bruce) riding a 06 Adventure decided to take a little trip to Newfoundland. What really got this all started was a few years I was on my way Iraq to deliver some gear and our C-5 aircraft broke (imagine that) and we had to land in Gander Newfoundland. Well I spent most of a day at the airport waiting on repairs only imagining what I was missing outside. Some time later I thought it would be nice to visit but how to get there I thought. Then comes along my purchase of an Adventure (which Dana was not very happy about ) and the guy selling it shows me a picture of somewhere in Newfoundland of now my bike on the ocean with an iceberg in the background...how cool was that! Well that's pretty much which got this adventure started.
Leaving tomorrow the 14th of August 2010 at sunrise. I hope to take many picture and post as I can. I am also using a SPOT tracker if you care to follow along.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,867
i'll be following this
IBA #42016

my ride reports

follow my ride

lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
ChuckS
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 637

I'm leaving for the rock Sept 13.

Lots of pics, please.

1993 K1100LT w/Ural hack
DL650 K4
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

We left spritely early today. Landed a bit north of Boston.The weather was perhaps perfect as it gets, never popped above 85F. While we owe the nice weather to following the Long Island sound via I-95, we also had the most heartache over traffic on I-95. I guess if you have to sit in traffic, nice weather helps. Didn't do a lick of sight seeing, as the goal is get to Canada as fast as possible.

Only took 6 pictures--3 while on the highway of the nice clouds at sunrise (will try to post this one later), and then some mundane ones like odometer at start and tire wear.

We will probably return to Maryland via inland route vice fight traffic.

Should enter Canada by 1400 tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #5
Mtngoat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Have at it!

2004 WeeStrom
2003 Yamaha FJR "Road Toad"
1988 K75C Left me for another woman...the bitch.
Mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
REAPER_ONE
Done

Oddometer: 3,037
Good luck kids. You all are definitely in ride shape... all the way to St. John in 2 days. I hope you two are enjoying Great Big Sea

I'm following daily... remember you have logistical support... Team SMIB!

REAPER_ONE screwed with this post 08-15-2010 at 02:35 PM
REAPER_ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Porcupine Carnage, Customs and Finally Canada

I have to start with I have never seen so many porcupines outside a zoo than I did today. Okay, so what if they were road kill--there were 4! You could use them them to count every 100 miles. If they weren't so far apart, I'd say that someone was plinking/shooting porcupines out of season (is there a season??) and hucking them out the car window to dispose of the bodies!

The only thing that there were more of were than dead porcupines were toll booths. I think I have spent my day's hotel per diem paying to use a bridge, turnpike and expressway. Seriously, if anyone is doing the the route get thee and Ezpass now. I suppose it's better to get one huge bill, than stop every 20 feet and bleed a buck.

With the exception of border control (more later..), the traffic was non-existent and dreamy. Maine wins the "bestest" award for rest stops. Some had Wi-Fi, others were very quaint being smack on a very nice lake.

While we didn't stop much today in the states, the weather was outstanding, as were the cloud formations!

We also drove by a dozen or two of muscle-era old cars:

This sign makes it sound like you damn near hit a moose everywhere.

This is the best we could find...

Customs took F.O.R.E.V.E.R!!! It was horribly backed-up. Then finally we decided to go to different booths, and while I skated right through like greased lighting, Dana not so lucky.

After they found her other travel for work, she got the special privilege of a motorbike search! And she didn't even get a passport stamp for prosperity. Meanwhile, I decided to take some nice photos:

While it was only <200KM from customs in St John, we saw a nice sign which was very official looking: a lighthouse on a blue/white background. So we followed it for quite some time. After a very nice covered bridge, and very nice photo ops of the bay, it dawns on us that there is no lighthouse to be found

The sign is apparently a Canadian way for scenic by-way. Well, it was a nice ride, but really all this water and they can't give me a lighthouse?

And what would a ride report be without the obligatory dinner photo :

Staying a Hampton inn--it has a 80 ft indoor slide. The thing was a blast to ride and probably would be illegal in the US, and I am surprised nobody was bleeding, nor needing medical attention during my stay from it. Scotty, I think you need to upgrade you pool for next summer. Maybe something like an Amish barn raising, we can help you upgrade? At least you are used to wearing your MC crash gear in the pool, which decidedly will help you...

(Oh, and Scotty's slide won't come with the striped bikini--stop looking at her like that--she's 12!)

Tomorrow, catch the ferry to Digby.