Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
LittleWan OP
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,650
The Summer of Stupid: 7400+ miles of 2up - OBCDR, CDT, TAT West and more...

BigWan and I decided to celebrate our 13th anniversary with a little dirt. What better way to test the ol’ marriage vows than with some off road 2up? Our route incorporated 2 days of the Pacific Crest Quest, the Oregon Back Country Discovery Route (including Crane Mountain), most of the Continental Divide Trail (including Lava Mountain and Fleecer Ridge), and the Trans America Trail from Colorado to Oregon. We also threw in a couple bonus Colorado passes (including Black Bear Pass to Telluride) and Utah’s White Rim Trail.

10 states
42 days
7450 miles
3 sets of knobbies
And I finally remembered to take some food photos!

Initially, I had been thinking that “The Summer of Love and Dirt” would be a cute title for a ride report. Cheesy, but with our love of dirt, our anniversary, and then the little good luck charms I planned to leave for other riders...it seemed fitting. But, after the first few days, it seemed like all we ever said was, “Oh my god. We are so f**king stupid!”
So, there we were - enjoying the summer of stupid.

“Wait a minute,” you’re saying to yourself - “Wasn’t that the theme of their last ride report ?” Haha, okay, it’s not a theme, it’s a lifestyle.

In 2009 we wanted to ride the TAT west. Our goals were:

1) ride as much of the trail as possible without taking any of the big bike bypasses
2) navigate using just the roll charts and maps. Our crap GPS was only capable of finding major highways and showing compass headings
3) ride hard. Ride like a single rider on a smaller bike, even though we were 2up on an overloaded schoolbus

It worked out pretty well. We didn’t take any bypasses and we made it from Trinidad to Port Orford in 12 days (including a rest day).

Of course, we did have some issues:

The bike was totaled by the insurance company, Matt was exhausted, and it was 4.5 months before I could sleep on my left side, but it was all worth it.

This time, our goals were:
1) don’t wreck the bike
2) don’t wreck the bike
3) don't get hurt

My mom said, “Umm. Maybe you should make ‘don’t get hurt’ your first priority. You can get another bike. You can’t get another you.”

Interesting idea. Okay - revised goals:
1) don't get hurt
2) don't wreck the bike
3) have fun

Originally, we were just going to do the OBCDR and maybe our favorite TAT sections (Colorado and Utah).
Then, after reading larryboy’s ride report , we saw how he used the CDT to connect the two trails. Brilliant!
With larryboy’s help, we were able to map out a fantastic route - thanks LB!
Of course, once we started looking at maps and ride reports, the route just kept growing and growing...

EDIT november 2010
This thing got pretty unwieldy, so I thought I should add a basic index:

Pacific Crest Quest: starts further down on this page, and there's an update (PCQ days 6,7 and 8 without snow) here.
Oregon Back Country Discovery Route: starts here.
Continental Divide Trail: starts here.
Trans America Trail: starts here.

Lava Mountain/Fleecer Ridge: here
Black Bear Pass: bottom of the page, here
White Rim Trail: here

And for those of you who have questions about the GPS tracks we used for this ride, the info is here.

LittleWan screwed with this post 01-05-2011 at 03:43 PM Reason: Adding stuff to the index...
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:30 PM   #2
kkug
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 953

F800GS
KTM 450 MXC

"Never let the Situation affect you Emotionally. If you do it will have an adverse affect on your ability to make the correct decisions.
kkug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
Bronco3738
Mike

Oddometer: 496
Subscribed, I've been wondering when you 2 were going to test out the new(er) bike on a big trip. Can't wait to read this adventure. Stay safe!

Honeymoon Ride Report

Crazy Europeans Tour Utah
Bronco3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #4
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
Old 08-19-2010, 11:44 PM   #5
zeroblah
Snot nosed kid

Oddometer: 316
WooHoo im watching this one. After seeing the photo of the frame im in, although hope everything goes better this time. Dont want to see anyone seriously injured.
zeroblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
LittleWan OP
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,650
Hi guys! Glad you found us. Thanks for reading :)
A little note about comments - Matt gets super uptight if I get carried away responding to comments. He thinks it looks like I’m just bumping our RR. His thing is - “these are grown men [and women], it isn’t F’ing Romper Room: ‘I see kkug, and bronco3738 and larryboy and zeroblah...’ You don’t have to acknowledge every single one. Just answer questions.”
Whatever. He doesn’t take the time to sign in and type anything out, does he?

At any rate, thanks for visiting and reading this nonsense
I see you Hi!

Okay, who’s going on this ride?

The Bike:

2007 KTM 990S adventure
Beautiful. Awesome. Bad Ass.
Reliable? Eh. maybe?

Us:

LittleWan (kelly) BigWan (matt)
Dumb. Dumb as a box of hammers.
The only sense we have is a sense of adventure.

The newest member of the family:

Norman the Delorman
Delorme PN-60
He showed up about 4 days before we left. Totally untested and a complete wild card.

Norm’s best friend and the most hated member of the group:

Frankenslime a.k.a. “that F’ing piece of sh*t”
Dell mini 10v
Purchased on ebay to be turned into a hackintosh. Unfortunately, Norm will only converse with a Piece of Crap, so we were stuck turning Slime back into a PC. There wasn’t a day when I didn’t want to smash it against a wall (or throw it out a window or chuck it off a cliff), but we were lucky to have it when Norm was acting up.

Oh yeah, one last guy:

Coney the safety cone.
So last year, we had a bunch of problems. It was probably because we didn’t have some kind of good luck charm. Most likely. What else could it have been?
So I made this guy. I had big plans to make more (on the road) and leave them along the trail. More about that when we get to the TAT section.

I know some of you are really into maps. Me, not so much. Here’s a compromise:

I wanted to use a crayon but couldn't find one. I guess colored pencil is good enough

Day 1: 7/7/10 SF Bay Area to Sierra City, CA 341 miles

We left home and made a beeline for the dirt. Unfortunately, in the Bay Area, that means starting the day in traffic. Took Hwy 80 to Foresthill and got onto Mosquito Ridge. I was looking forward to it - “600 curves in 36 miles,” but it didn't seem very interesting or scenic. Maybe we didn’t get to the good part, but the streetbikes can keep this one! We were only on Mosquito Ridge until we could get to the Pacific Crest Quest. Matt had downloaded the tracks for R-dubb’s day 6 and we followed them the best we could...

Eventually, after more pavement, we got onto gorgeous dirt - river, falls, trees...

campground tee pee

We stopped at a campground to look around and this guy came blasting up.

He asked where we were going and said, “I was afraid of that...” It turns out that the road we wanted was snowed in. He was just there an hour ago and couldn’t get past the big drifts. Shoot - if he couldn’t get through on a 525, we didn’t have a chance. He said all the other roads were dead ends and that our only choice was go back to Foresthill. crap! At least there was a dirt road that would take us there.

On our way down, we ran into a guy in a Nissan Pathfinder. He had a Garmin Oregon and couldn’t find a single road - we told him about the snow and gave him directions as best we could (our GPS showed all the roads, but we didn't know which one he needed). Yay - way to go, Norman the Delorman!

We took Hwy 80 to Truckee and hoped to get back on the PCQ.

The trail started up with some thick wiggly gravel. I didn’t take any pics as I was too nervous - it’s been a long time and it takes me a while to get used to the sliding. What a relief to get back to the dirt and rocks.

It was getting late and Matt wanted to keep our speed up. It was fine until we started seeing deer. Matt started honking the horn - yow! that’s loud. It really echos through the new headsets. He asked if it was hurting me - heh, not as much as a deer would - keep honking!

We ran into a snow drift, but it was firm enough for Matt to ride on. Hmm. I thought July was late enough for the snow to melt. Hope this isn’t going to be a problem (dum dum dum...)

looking back at the snow drift after walking across

After the snow we had some pretty trails

and a sketchy creek crossing. It doesn’t look like much, but the rocks were so slippery they were like bowling balls coated with Crisco. i almost ate it just trying to cross on foot.

The trails were pretty overgrown and washed out. We got to one section and it was a real mess. Matt went around this tree and I climbed over it.

Everywhere we went, we found dead ends and washed out roads. It was getting old. Did I mention the huge cloud of mosquitos that enveloped us whenever we stopped? We came across a super creepy camp - I didn’t think to take any photos, but it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Of course, this is where we got separated. We’re so F’ing stupid!

Matt needed to cross the creek again and I was going to walk to meet him. I knew that we had made a wrong turn up near the fallen tree. I thought he heard me say that I was going back to the tree (I wanted to get as far away from the zombie/axe murderer camp as soon as possible), but our helmet intercoms lost their bluetooth connection right at that moment. When he got to the other side and didn’t see me, he thought I was lost and went to look. I could hear him riding further away. Sh*t. Wow, that’s a horrible feeling: lost in the woods, listening to your ride take off...

We wasted about 25 minutes (with him riding around and me yelling “matt!” every few minutes as I hiked up the hill) but eventually met up. I was tired and sweaty and covered in mosquito bites, but at least I had picked the right way. Just past the tree, we caught a great road that took us to the pavement.

Made it to Wild Plum campground just before dark. Whew.

Oh, goody - the 4 tubs of coffee creamer that we stole from McDonalds blew up in the tank bag. Niiiiice.

Here's the day's photo of Norm. It took about 3 days to get the hang of the GPS and to figure out which numbers we wanted to keep track of.

It was not an auspicious first day, but we just knew tomorrow was going to be better...
(we’re so F’ing stupid).

LittleWan screwed with this post 08-20-2010 at 09:08 AM
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan
Hi guys! Glad you found us. Thanks for reading :)
A little note about comments - Matt gets super uptight if I get carried away responding to comments. He thinks it looks like I’m just bumping our RR. His thing is - “these are grown men [and women], it isn’t F’ing Romper Room: ‘I see kkug, and bronco3738 and larryboy and zeroblah...’ You don’t have to acknowledge every single one. Just answer questions.”
Whatever. He doesn’t take the time to sign in and type anything out, does he?

At any rate, thanks for visiting and reading this nonsense
I see you Hi!

He's just the tour bus driver, tell him to shut up and ride, we'll talk about what we want.

You're off to a great start, lost on foot and it's only the first day.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Wicked

That damned Larryboy is a baaad influence!

Congrats on surviving your anniversary!
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
!
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
jadedillusion
Adventure Wife

Oddometer: 119
The narrarator makes the RR rules, doesn't he know that?

Blog: Tales from the Adventure Wife

jadedillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
Nixels
Face fears - live life

Oddometer: 7,566
Let's all throw popcorn!!!

You guys don't look wan at all. More hale and hearty (even if you're all bit up by the skeeters ).

SmugMug coupon: cwbkgu7KGL2D2/save $5
Nixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:15 PM   #12
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
I am in.
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:12 PM   #13
lstephenson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
My Boyfriend and Dad and I must have been about a week behind you on the TAT. We enjoyed finding your charm on top of Coyote Mtn.
lstephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:27 PM   #14
YukonTracker
Ride your Way

Oddometer: 249
Nice pics. Thanks for sharing your love!
YukonTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:17 AM   #15
cuneesity
Ferendo

Oddometer: 4,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan

This time, our goals were:
1) don’t wreck the bike
2) don’t wreck the bike
3) don't get hurt

My mom said, “Umm. Maybe you should make ‘don’t get hurt’ your first priority. You can get another bike. You can’t get another you.”

Interesting idea. Okay - revised goals:
1) don't get hurt
2) don't wreck the bike
3) have fun

Pretty sure you had it right the first time

////SAFETY THIRD////

Hayduke: send this couple some stickers!