Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,697
Two Flat Landers, Colorado Mountain Passes on an F800GS and 640 Adventure.

Hi Yall! My buddy Chris (child) and I (Oliver) just did a trip into Colorado with our bikes trying to find the cool dirt passes and mountain views. We had been thinking about riding this area for a while and did a bunch of research (drooling over ride reports and pictures). For a couple guys from the flat Texas plains this ride was epic! Thanks to a lot of the Colorado natives and others such as Geek and their reports, tracks and pictures that helped us plan our route and enjoy our stay.

I can tell you that we both learned a lot about riding and our own personal limits. I think our style of riding balances each other well. Chris is more technical dirt oriented while I am more adventure dirt oriented.

Honestly, we were slacking off on planning our exact routes because the trip date moved up and we were both busy. When we were ready to go we had the gear sorted but I only had a couple GPS tracks stored in my GPS and no solid routes. Luckily the Colorado natives were very helpful and we procured some awesome books that directed us to the “must do” activities.

This report is going to contain tons of pictures, videos and maps. I recorded our tracks on my Garmin 276C each day so we can import them into Google Earth. I am going to share our tracks through Chris’ FTP server so you can follow our exact route.

NEW: DOWNLOAD THE FULL 5 DAYS OF TRACKS HERE: (right click and "save link as")

http://www.seestoryrun.com/gallery/_...ado-tracks.zip

Here is a map of our complete route for the days we were on the passes. Our base camp was the South Mineral Campground outside of Silverton. I can’t recommend this campground enough; the people and location were awesome!

Here are some pictures to help get everyone in the mood for a Colorado ride report! Chris will be posting a lot of his pics and the videos he has. We wanted to take you all with us on this ride so we always considered our own desires when we view ride reports… Lots of pictures, maps, trail descriptions, etc.

This is me (Oliver) on my F800GS

This is Chris (child) on his 640 Adventure

EnderTheX screwed with this post 09-05-2010 at 08:22 AM
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
vwdrvr66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Hey guys my crew and I saw you guys at Black Bear Pass...Remember...going the wrong way.... on accident of course. I'm pretty sure we won't make that mistake again since the long arm of the law was waiting for us when we got to the top. Hope you have a good ride. Take care.
vwdrvr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdrvr66
Hey guys my crew and I saw you guys at Black Bear Pass...Remember...going the wrong way.... on accident of course. I'm pretty sure we won't make that mistake again since the long arm of the law was waiting for us when we got to the top. Hope you have a good ride. Take care.
Hey Dude! Man that really sucks they were waiting for ya. I know there was a group of two riders who shot up the pass before you two, they were really flying and had obviously done it several times before.

Did you get fined or just a slap on the wrist? How come you didn't wheelie past the fuzz? Were they tipped off by some hippie hiker?

Here is the last view we had of yall, mighty impressive I should say! It was all I could do to keep Chris from following you back up the pass!

Old 08-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 245
The police?!

Here's a video of someone in your group going up (i think the 2nd in your group)

Arkansas 2010
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
vwdrvr66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Awesome... needed some proof we were there. To busy worring about how we were were going to get up the dang thing rather than taking pictures. I know for sure the two other guys before us did get a fine, because the were locals and should know better...we were just idoits, but I will take the slap on the wrist anyday.
vwdrvr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
madDUC_dj
Just wanna ride, A LOT

Oddometer: 17
Cool video, now I see where my front end bounced to the outside.....Not exactly where I wanted to be.....Thx for posting the video and pics guys
2006 SUZUKI DRZ400, Blue
2004 HARELY Heritage Softail Classic, Silver/Red(SOLD, replaced with Tiger 800XC)
madDUC_dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
dirtbound4Max
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Oddometer: 329
Thumb Great Start to what looks to be an AWESOME RR!!!

Chris and Oliver,
Looks like an AWESOME RR in the making! SUBSCRIBED!!!!!!
Sean
dirtbound4Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
child
poop is fun

I slowly wake up to a bright sun filtering through the trees on to my tent, I'm no early riser, but Oliver is... he should have woken me up. Oliver is also not a patient person; he isn't going to sit around waiting for my lazy ass to climb out of bed. As I'm sorting out where I am and if Oliver decided to leave with out me I hear groans coming from across camp and the un mistakable sound of sleeping bag... Oliver isn't awake yet! As I slowly decide if I should get up; I hear a less than enthusiastic voice asking me if I'm up, Uhoh. I make my way out of my tent and Oliver lays out his situation: not feeling well, headache, no energy, aches, and a certain exit port is not happy... Joy! We suspect the altitude is playing tricks and Oliver starts the hydration process (perhaps over hydration process), as all the locals say fluids fluids fluids.

So at this point he's reclined in the camp chair as seen above and he starts requesting breakfast, water, pedialite, and various other items... This is feeling a little too much like a relationship- I'm concerned.

Oliver decides to nap and I decide to tackle the jeep trails near by to make sure yesterday's fix was an actual fix.

…I guess I should expand slightly on the previous day's problem. Basically it acted like it ran out of fuel (I had half a tank at least) as I pulled up hill on real rough sections. The engine would die down to a WEAK idle and any throttle would cause the engine to die. I'd search for an issue, not find anything obvious, restart the bike (it would start fine after a period of time) start going slowly, everything would be OK, then I'd get more aggressive on some up hill bumpy section and it'd die down to an idle again. Crazy... I notice the wires I had routed for the heated grips had shifted a lot and a few were TIGHT. I figured maybe something here was pulling an ignition wire loose orrr something? No idea, so I limped back to camp and re routed a bunch of wires...

OK back to shaking the bike down. I top off my tank with a splash of gas (thats some literary foreshadowing for you high brow folk; bmw owners, I’m looking in your direction... ) and hit the trails. I hit all the steep bumpy inclines that caused problems yesterday with fury and vigor, problems solved! Huzzah! I'm shocked that it was electrical (ha), but its not acting up, this trip is ON!

Once my brain stops worrying about my damned transport I'm immediately stunned by the beauty of the mountains. I had been many times as a kid, but I guess I had always taken the beauty for granted. Here I am 25 (or am I 26, hell) and I'm damn near breathless... or maybe this is just the altitude, I am high after all...

The first trail I take is up the valley out of camp towards Bandora Mine. It’s a real easy trail and it’s a great intro to Colorado riding.

Marmots!

Once I return to camp I’m EXCITED, oh man, its so damned pretty! I saw a mine and marmots and a creek crossing or two and a waterfall and and and… Oliver still wasn’t feeling well and for some reason didn’t share my enthusiasm…

I don’t think that was a regular ADV salute…
Arkansas 2010
Old 08-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #9
child
poop is fun

After some more catering to Oliver’s needs, a meal, and a quick rainstorm I decided to go on and tackle Clear Lake Trail, which is also very near camp. I hop on and head out, again alone, while Oliver rests more.

This trial is quite a bit longer than Bandora Mine (although still short), and offers my first taste of switchbacks and cliffs. This trail worked perfectly as a 2nd intro into Colorado riding; not too technical, and very pretty. I guess I should stop calling trails pretty, really. If you’re in the mountains, it’s pretty. From here on out all trails are pretty as a default and I will qualify them as exceptionally pretty, or not pretty. That being said, Clear Lake is exceptionally pretty.

Riding up, just breaking above the tree line.

Somewhere back there is camp, I believe the road you see is leading up to Bandora Mine.

Clear Lake! (Gadget Boy, I found your son’s rock, He’s strangely missing…)

(note the very subtle trail going from up and to the right along the rocks ahead there, I can tell from below that it dead ends, but I’m at 11,900 feet by the lake, I want 12k)
Arkansas 2010
Old 08-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #10
child
poop is fun

This trail goes no further… at least not for the sane.

Clear Lake below, and I’m at 12,200 feet! Success!

Just before I turn around, my greatest fear is realized… I’ve wandered directly into one of the most dangerous situations you can find in Colorado… The dreaded Marmot Den…

The Marmot’s (also known as widow makers) are the most fierce and territorial creature above the tree line. We were constantly fighting these creatures off the entire trip.

Headed back down, <3 switchbacks

Time to go back to camp, I hope Oliver is feeling better…
Arkansas 2010
Old 08-24-2010, 07:30 AM   #11
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbound4Max
Chris and Oliver,
Looks like an AWESOME RR in the making! SUBSCRIBED!!!!!!
Sean
Hi Sean, thanks for the comment! We are just getting started into the good stuff!

DAY 2 (MONDAY)

Well after an ultra crappy day of fighting altitude sickness I awake on Monday feeling good enough to get on the bike and ride.

We start off checking the book for routes that are close and provide a loop we can do before it gets dark. We decide on an agressive schedule to do Bandora Mine, Clear Lake, Ophir Pass and Bolam Pass. The book we have is for jeeps and the trails have descriptions, instructions and ratings related to 4 wheeled vehicles. I don't exactly understand how the difficulty rating correlates to motorcycles and we soon find out that something rated "difficulty 2" for a 4x4 can be harder on a motorcycle than something rated "difficulty 4" for a 4x4. We figure part of the reason for the rating discrepancy is that large bumpy rocks on a forest road is "easy" for a 4x4 but not for a bike and tight switchbacks on mountain shelf roads is "hard" for a 4x4 but a breeze for the bikes.

So we start off on the Bandora Mine Trail. Chris had ridden Bandora and Clear Lake yesterday so you can see some of his pics above. This trail literally goes directly out of the campground and quickly winds through a short forest section and then blasts across the mountainside as a rocky strait road, no switchbacks. My bike is taking a pounding on the rocks but I know there is much more difficult terrain in store for us this week and I put my faith in BMW engineering and hang on while bouncing over the rocks.

Here is part of the mine we encounter towards the end of the trail.

This clearing at the end of the trail is called "South Park". It is scenic and peaceful with many opportunities for primitive camping.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:35 AM   #12
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

There is always time to play in the creek crossings! I was thrilled to get to do actual water crossings, very very rare in Texas. It rained so often we always had water to cross.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:39 AM   #13
GrayGoSt
Ridin' the F8

Oddometer: 121
Awesome Pictures

Old 08-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #14
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

So we head back down from the Bandora Mine and start up the Clear Lake Trail. Clear Lake will be my first taste of real mountain switchbacks. The soil is soft from the rain and provides great traction. Some of the switchbacks are steep and narrow but lots of fun on the bikes.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #15
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

When we get about 3/4 of the way up the trail there is a very tight switchback and some mining activity. I am impressed with the deep red and orange soil oozing from the mining hole.

Some large steel container (or machine?) sits next to the hole, close to the edge of the cliff. The labor required to bring this equipment up to these elevations must have been intense!