User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
kraut.burner OP
Smells güt!

Oddometer: 460
R75/6 Cafe build

Hi all, its been a while since I last posted. My excuse: Too busy riding!

Let me introduce you to my situation. For the past 10 years, I've been riding what's been dubbed by my father and myself the "old clunker". The "old clunker" is a 1974 R75/6 and is still running pretty strong despite its age. It also happens to be the bike that I first learned how to ride, and shared many a great memory. So, I'm emotionally tied to the bike to say the least.

But, I've been having some thoughts that have been growing in my head since first riding. I'm in a restoration mood of sorts.

Nonetheless, the bike is 36 years old and is showing some signs of aging - both visually, and mechanically- that need to be addressed. Aside from the regular fluid changes and valve adjustments, nothing has been replaced mechanically. Oil under the bike regardless after riding or sitting for a long time hints its time for a for a makeover. Gear oil migrating between the final drive, shaft, and transmission only further confirm that something has to be done.

So it hit me. If I have all this work to do, wouldn't it be worth it to just start fresh: Tear everything down to the frame, and rebiuld? The answer is yes. It's also a great opportunity to catch up on some forgotten maintenance intervals. I hope you're interested in the read, Im going to need all the criticism I can get.

On with the restoration

I'm shooting for a clean cafe style look when everything's said and done; In other words, a little racy, a little modern.

Wrenching is a huge part my life, a hobby, and an interest. I am energetic to start this project to say the least. Undoubtedly there will be speed bumps along the way, but that's why I'm here amongst all you fellow gear heads with open ears I hope some of you can provide some helpful insight into what I'm getting myself into. And others to learn from my experiences!

Be forewarned: Im in college, and have a limited yet steady budget. This thread may disappear for a while, but I'll try and update as soon as more news is available.

Let the fun begin

Happy motoring!

kraut.burner screwed with this post 05-21-2011 at 06:42 PM
kraut.burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
MayerMR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
That bike looks good already...however if you're doing a cafe you may have to dispose of that "comfortable" seat

Look forward to following the build...but I deploy in about 4 1/2 mos so you gotta get moving on it!
1967 Honda CM91 -> CT90 conversion
1986 BMW K75 - Storage until I figure out a way to tell the wife
MayerMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:08 PM   #3
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,571
Get different bars/seat and call it done.

It looks good as-is but I understand that pictures usually lie a little. I personally would have a hard time repainting the bike I learned to ride on (assuming the grey's original).

If you want to ditch the gauges, let me know. I need a tach for my R75/6.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
kraut.burner OP
Smells güt!

Mayer: Comfy it is! but yeah, I'm looking into a fiberglass single seat cowl that will match the cafe theme

Drummerdude: You know honestly, that was my original plan of action! But the more time I spent with the bike, the more I felt the need to dive deeper into the guts of the beast. It was also partly my dad's wish to get it back into good mechanical condition. But yes the grey was original from our purchase. Unknown what the previous owner did.
But you're absolutely right, the pictures do hide the unseen flaws: Paint chips, scratches, sunspots, and rust.

I will definitely PM you about the gauges. But they're staying with me until the project gets underway and I have my replacement gauges all sorted out
Old 08-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,794
I'd raid the parts bin.
Dual disc front with progressive springs would be mandatory. Also that cool tubular fork brace you can buy for not much money is a nice addition.
Some Krauser bags and a seat with a passenger pillion would be nice too.

I'd be compelled to toss the stock sweeper type gauges with a digital computer setup like the Trailtech Vapor (speedo, tach, engine temp at the plug, mileage based service reminders, etc.) because of its low power draw and cool factor.

maybe some frame bracing too.
Kick those Bings to the curb for some Mikunis and never look back.

I'm just thinking of functional things that will make it better in traffic (stop, go, turn).

That bike is already all kinds of cool. Just make it better at being a rider.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
nella
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
I'll subscribe and follow along, I'm always interested to see BMW cafe projects.

If you are looking for a R100RS 3/4 seat and cowl, I have a nice one for sale in the classifieds. Someone also had an airtech seat pan and cowl in there, it might still be available.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:17 AM   #7
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,301
Kraven isn't a dumb as his avatar!

It doesn't make much difference to me how you spec out your bike but I'd stick to basics before going hog wild with farkles.

Why bother getting rid of perfectly good gauges? You're going to need that $$$ for some other things, like dual front brakes, a bar mount master cyl, an LED tail light so that you can be seen after dark, lower/different bars, parts to rebuild the front end, new shocks, MUFFLERS, maybe some small parts, gaskets, etc.

Once you have the basic stuff squared away, the rest is mostly cosmetics but you need a safe, sound bike to build on and you bike will be much better off with MUFFLERS. Your valves will thank you!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:05 PM   #8
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraut.burner
Hi all, its been a while since I last posted. My excuse: Too busy riding!

Nice seat.

"It's good to be King!"

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Nice seat.

"It's good to be King!"

My FIRST thought! I actually dig the seat, makes you feel like a fanfaire should play at every light announcing your presence.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
kraut.burner OP
Smells güt!

Finally, after all that work.... It was time to pull that sucker out of the frame!!!

bare bonezzz

Ok.... enough for now.... All i've gotta do now is tear apart that front end so I can send everything off to paint.....

Then comes putting everything back together again