User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2004, 10:39 AM   #1
DRS Canada OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Pre '96 Suzuki DR650S

I've just picked up a '93 in good shape and am wondering if any of you have any insights/help regarding this machine? It is basic in design, nothing too complicated. I've received some good tire advice about tires from you guys, but I am looking forward to hearing others experience with this or a similar machine. Anything to keep an eye on and so forth...

P.S. the unit runs fine. I am curious to know if there are any common known flaws to this unit.
DRS Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 02:24 PM   #2
Burren Rider
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
Common flaws are few as far as I am aware. The main thing is to keep an eye on the balance chain adjustment every 4-5,000km's. Apart from that regular servicing should be all it needs.

I put 65,000km's on a 1994 model and really didn't have any problems with it. The bike was a good platform for an outback tourer and still capable in the forests with a bit of modification. The biggest factors to look at when improving the bike are weight and suspension. There is a lot of unecessary bulk on the early 650's and it's dirt abilities are hampered by it. Reduce the weight and have a tinker with the suspension (cartridge emulators in the forks and possible a decent shock) and the bike will work pretty well in most areas. They are certainly comfortable on long trips.

Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:23 PM   #3
DRS Canada OP
Adventurer

Good to hear. Nice photo, what is the brand and capacity of the tank? Favorite tire combo? Thanks for the reply...
Old 12-05-2004, 06:40 PM   #4
Win38-55
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Just put some old Jessie's on mine. I have had no problems with mine yet. Don't expect any. More Suzuki pics.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:26 PM   #5
Burren Rider
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS Canada
Good to hear. Nice photo, what is the brand and capacity of the tank? Favorite tire combo? Thanks for the reply...
The tank holds 25 litres and is made by Acerbis, I think they are still available.

Tyres depend on what you are planning to do with it. Pirelli MT21's front and rear are pretty good for mixed riding although there are plenty of others depending on which end of the road/dirt spectrum you planning on.

Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:04 AM   #6
DRS Canada OP
Adventurer

Good info thanks. Win 35-85, what the heck are jessies? I'm kinda new on this block...
Old 12-06-2004, 07:18 PM   #7
SIXFIDDYTHUMPA

Oddometer: n/a
I have a 2000 that I got used last February. I was looking at buying a KLR and the dealer sold it about a week before I was ready to pull the trigger. I'm glad that I ended up the with the DR though, it handles my 20 mile commute in fine fashion and it has been reliable. I will say that it was still in stock trim and it was running quite lean which was a major headache in rush hour traffic. It would kill occasionally and surge quite a bit. I just got done installing a FMF Q-series pipe, Stage 2 carb kit, a K&N filter and I did the Jesse Kientz airbox mod. Wow, is this still the same bike? I did a little math and with conserative guesses on horsepower increase it came out to a 20% power to weight increase, and it feels like more. It runs much better and doesn't surge anymore either. What is amazing is that I went with a 160 main that is two sizes over the stock main and it still pops off-throttle like it is still a smidge lean. It's pretty cold here in MN now so it will probably be spot on once it warms up in the spring. Now my base gasket looks like old faithful, I'm working with my dealer to see if Suzuki will cover it. I've read in a couple forums of guys getting it covered out of warranty by Suzuki. I'm looking at getting some stiffer springs front and rear and then I will be pretty much done with the mods. I'm happy with it, just a little different focus than the KLR which is great bike also.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:52 AM   #8
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,203
Thanks....but...........

Quote:
The main thing is to keep an eye on the balance chain adjustment every 4-5,000km's. Apart from that regular servicing should be all it needs.
I'm not familiar with the balance chain adjustment.

Can anybody elaborate? How about posting that excerpt from a manual?

please........

knybanjo screwed with this post 06-13-2007 at 10:01 AM
knybanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:26 PM   #9
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Oddometer: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo
Thanks....but...........

I'm not familiar with the balance chain adjustment.

Can anybody elaborate? How about posting that excerpt from a manual?

please........
PM me an e-mail addy and I'll try to get you something this evening.

I didn't do it, because you have to drain the oil and remove one of the engine covers, so I'll wait until next oil change, then I guess I'll just check it at each oil change following.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,815
Stick 2 it

i ride a 02 DR650SE ,I 've been riding Enduro for 23 years ,best bike ever so far ,i was gonna purchase a bimmer GS1200R but the weight is major factor if u do dual sport ,so i stick to my Suzuki here's why : easy to fix ,cheap on parts & labor ( $ 0 if u do it urself ) ,very good handeling off rd / on rd ,light maintenance in comparing to the beating moto go through ,my 650 have a lot of modifications ,competition pipe ,5 gallons acrylic tank ( LIGHT WEIGT ) i rjeted the carb. ,racing hand guard ,k/n air filter ,gps ( magellin 3000 ) , engin guard ,new tires with rear tire heavy compound rubber ; note here that i notice i am going through a lot of rear tire ,cause i ride a lot of enduro ,adv. riding in the Arizona deserts . In conclusion DR650 is a bad ass bike ,with some modifications u can turn into a crazy BAD ASS BIKE

Eddy .
Phoenix ,Arizona.
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:18 AM   #11
knybanjo
kinda slow

How often have y'all found your valve clearances to be out of spec?

I bought my old '93 a year ago with 15k on it....just checked clearance for the 1st time with 28k on the clock now and everything is in spec!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan
'95 and earlier are (IIRC) .003-.005" for exhaust and intake. I set all of mine to .004" and it seems to be happy.
I will check that balance chain next oil change....I doubt it's ever been checked.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #12
bigdumbguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I'm a DR 650S NooB

I just bought an old 1991 DR650S about a week ago,it has 4662 mi on the odo,i hope it is accurate,like not run with everything stripped off for years-n-years,doesn't appear to have been.......
Needs a new rear shock ,because the shaft corroded and ripped up the seals,any info on whether this is rebuildable would be appreciated,aftermarket may be a better investment since it is a somewhat high dollar item either way.
Going to do a fork rebuild "just for good measure",maybe a fork brace will be added also,sources?
The brakes are full of black goo from being stored improperly,and bled too infrequently.
I haven't ridden it much yet,because I like to give a bike a good going through before I take it out and get it up to speed.You never know what kind of silly things can be done to a bike in the time this one has been out there.
Need to change the oil and check for chunks,get the side covers off and check for chunks and other "sediment"accumulation...etc.etc...

I do have a shop manual that came with it,but the pics are awful.I need to check the balancer chain and valve clearances,the manual makes it look simple.
Any information about the intricacies of these jobs would be appreciated,like do the gaskets need to be replaced when you adjust the valves,or is it possible to reuse themon the acces covers?.
I know I will need a gasket set to pull off the side cases.
So far it seems to run good,gobs of power,just waiting for a gasket set and new oil filters to do the jobs I mentioned above.
Any info on these things I am going to do would be appreciated,like what the heck are"emulators" for front forks?.
One more little detail,I am very cheap,I do everything myself.
bigdumbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 01:53 PM   #13
bigdumbguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Here's a pic of the DR

Pic-o the DR I just recently bought...
Attached Images

bigdumbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:21 AM   #14
knybanjo
kinda slow

Nice find!
It's likely only suffered the neglect of sitting unused. That can be enough trouble of it's own though.

The valve adjust covers have o-rings and can be reused if they are still soft and not dry rotted or over flattened. It is as simple as it looks.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:10 AM   #15
VegasMark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Yo!

My secret Big Brown trout hole. Only 2wheelers can get through the brush and trees

Picture 4 was before i changed the rubber fork seal savers to neoprene fork seal savers. 160dynojet, mixture screw out 2.5turns. No decel popping!

i like the fender and i like the price!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1175033&page=3
VegasMark is offline   Reply With Quote