Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
Dirt_Dad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
How is the Super Tenere on paved twisty mountain roads?

I think I've read most everything here on the S10 and there's a lot of great info on how it handles the dirt. I wondering about hitting the hardcore paved twisties in the mountains. I'm very pleased with how my Vee handles the twisties and I would not like to lose capability if switching to the S10.

I realize it's not a sport bike or SST, but what is the fun factor when pushing this bike fast in the twisties? I care about the adrenaline rush much more than high speed. Although solid eye popping acceleration is always appreciated.
2013 Suzuki DR650SE
Dirt_Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_Dad
I think I've read most everything here on the S10 and there's a lot of great info on how it handles the dirt. I wondering about hitting the hardcore paved twisties in the mountains. I'm very pleased with how my Vee handles the twisties and I would not like to lose capability if switching to the S10.

I realize it's not a sport bike or SST, but what is the fun factor when pushing this bike fast in the twisties? I care about the adrenaline rush much more than high speed. Although solid eye popping acceleration is always appreciated.
If you leave the Tourance tyres on, and select the S mod, you'll be suitably impressed. It handles the tar twisties very well. I found it handles best when you sit right forward against the tank and attack the corners. It very planted and capable of serious lean angles without any bad behaviour. The steering is a bit slow for serious work though, but there are new dogbones on the market now to jack up the rear and quicken the steering if thats your thing.
Cheers
OD
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,253
Who does the Dogbones OldDog?

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD
Who does the Dogbones OldDog?

Cheers
Graham
Some guys in germany i think, found it while casually searching for new bling the other night, google XT1200 accessories should find them, i'm at work so better not get too carried away with the internet
OldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog
Some guys in germany i think, found it while casually searching for new bling the other night, google XT1200 accessories should find them, i'm at work so better not get too carried away with the internet
It was "Off the Road" Germany..Added to the link Thread.

Cheers
Graham
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,798
Same question I'd have, as I'd likely be considering this bike at some point in the future. I really enjoyed my 1150GS in the twisties--if the Yamaha handled as good or better, I'd be very tempted.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
Dirt_Dad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog
If you leave the Tourance tyres on, and select the S mod, you'll be suitably impressed. It handles the tar twisties very well. I found it handles best when you sit right forward against the tank and attack the corners. It very planted and capable of serious lean angles without any bad behaviour. The steering is a bit slow for serious work though, but there are new dogbones on the market now to jack up the rear and quicken the steering if thats your thing.
Cheers
OD
That sounds perfect. Some people lower the front of the Vee to improve steering. I tried, but didn't care for the change. Personally I prefer a bike that needs a skilled rider at the controls to achieve a good twisty ride. Too easy is boring to me.

I appreciate your thoughts. That was my final pre-buy question. I now feel confident to place my order. Thank you!
2013 Suzuki DR650SE
Old 09-07-2010, 01:36 AM   #8
drbig
Solo Sailor

Oddometer: 149
Quote:

Well.... It is really great. I live on a kibutz that is located on a very long twisting mountain road and have a blast every day with the bike.
My brother has been riding sport bikes for over 25 years and is very good at it. So good in fact that the police thinks he is too good for his own good.
As my older brother he never has any thing good to say regarding my motorcycling ( a big brother thing) and since his last bike was a CBR 1000 RR ( with a lot of extra power That I can never understand what it is good for- little brother thing ) I was expecting a lot of shit when he took it for a spin on our road. He came back with a very suppressed big smile and said:
" Haaa, not enough power only 110 Hp I need my 185 HP" - big brother thing. Then he said: " but my god this thing flys through the corners . I think I could not do any better with the 1000RR" - Not a typical big brother thing. The bottom line is this bike got a compliment from my brother and I am sure that realy hurt.
drbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:44 AM   #9
Dirt_Dad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbig
" but my god this thing flys through the corners . I think I could not do any better with the 1000RR" -
Perfect. My fate is sealed. I'm buying the S10. At the price some are offering it here it really is an amazing value.
2013 Suzuki DR650SE
Old 09-07-2010, 05:01 AM   #10
drbig
Solo Sailor

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Perfect. My fate is sealed. I'm buying the S10. At the price some are offering it here it really is an amazing value.
Good On Ya
drbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
zeth609
Super Tenere *****

Oddometer: 33
Just hit sport mode, and off to the twisties, it's an awesome bike, also, I use to have a Wee prior to the S10, and, the change is great.

07 Suzuki GS500 (sold)
08 Suzuki DL650 WeeStrom (sold)
10 Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z (currently)
zeth609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:22 AM   #12
Yamaguy55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
I ordered mine a few weeks ago. When yours shows up, give me a shout. We don't live that far apart, and we can compare notes about the new toys. If you're up by the parkway, I'm certain you have plenty of suitable riding. I have outstanding S10 territory around here, I could stay within a hundred mile radius and never run out of roads to try, both paved and not. Not that I will....
Yamaguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:07 PM   #13
Dirt_Dad OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez
If you're happy with how the Vee handles, you're probably in for a big
improvement.
I've lowered the gearing (16/43) on my Vee and was much happier than stock. Lower gearing and a PCIII make it easier to wheelie at and above 55 MPH. But I still want more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaguy55
I ordered mine a few weeks ago. When yours shows up, give me a shout. We don't live that far apart, and we can compare notes about the new toys. If you're up by the parkway, I'm certain you have plenty of suitable riding. I have outstanding S10 territory around here, I could stay within a hundred mile radius and never run out of roads to try, both paved and not. Not that I will....
I've ridden some very nice stuff within 100 miles of Sunbury. Nice roads up there. I'm about 45 minutes north of Skyline Drive. It's pretty, but awful slow riding. In fact VA has such bad speeding laws for residents I tend to just ride straight to WV for all my fun stuff. No end to great riding there.
2013 Suzuki DR650SE
Old 09-22-2010, 05:13 AM   #14
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,900
Quote:
I've lowered the gearing (16/43) on my Vee and was much happier than stock. Lower gearing and a PCIII make it easier to wheelie at and above 55 MPH. But I still want more.
Don't we all ?!

I often think about how I could use 10..20.. 30 more HP on my bike
(that's already got 70) sometimes when I'm riding around town or
just cruising..

But then again.. I went on a 1k mile trip this summer, loaded up heavy..
and enjoyed my ass off. I virtually never went out of the 4000-5000rpm range
(under half of what's available) and found myself thinking how
I would have been just as fast on the road on a 500cc/40hp scooter.

And that's also true..

Gimme a new MG Breva 750 and I'm good!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #15
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Well i'm just back out of Spain, and i must say i'm really impressed with the surefootedness of GTXT, we did a lot of really little backroads on which its soft sprung coolness was really relaxing the ride, but we also did a stretch of the well known N260 in the Pyrenees and especcially the stretch near Rubio consists of nice open wide corners with great views of the next set, so you can safely put up the ante, and give the bike a propper whipping, i even thought i lost the rightside pegsaverpin there :-)

Especcially the knowledge of having ATC on board riding those twisties on TKC's was a great relief, triggered the ABS only once, thus stable it is even if there are some serious sags in the tarmac near the side giving the bike a Jolt in a not planned direction.

I'm used to scratch the pegs with a telelever GS, but the Tenere although it misses the front plantedness of the GS by a whisker, wins on rear shurefootedness, the GS has a tendencie to go bonkers at the rear in a succesion of jolts by carretera en obras, the Tenere simple does a litle "whoops" and continues its steady business as usual approach, like a prime minister who just fucked up he knows how to put away any mishaps brilliantly...

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote