User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2004, 07:27 AM   #1
Loadedagain OP
making chips

Oddometer: 26,714
Loaded's Scotts Damper Mounting for KTM

I'm working on a scotts damper mounting system similar to sommers right now for the LC4 and LC8 (950). It will be available in the new year... but with the drawbacks removed. Some things i didn't like about sommers such as height (40mm rise) which makes the cables very tight will be changed (ideally 30mm). The damper itself bolts on, but the "spigot" is designed as a weld on unit, which can be done easily by any shop... In the future there may be a clamp on kit.

Pm me if you're interested. Cost is TBA, but i am aiming for around $100 plus the damper (currently $320.).

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.

Loadedagain screwed with this post 12-07-2004 at 06:57 PM
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 07:44 AM   #2
QMan
prof. dirt mover

Oddometer: 180
Loaded, it's easy to change the height of the Sommer unit... just add smaller spacers and shorten the bolts.
I think tho you need such height because the damper mounts below the handlebar and the damper itself has a specific height. The extra added 10mm is for the damper mount which bolts onto the steernig head plate.

Cheers,

Dom
QMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 07:55 AM   #3
Loadedagain OP
making chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMan
Loaded, it's easy to change the height of the Sommer unit... just add smaller spacers and shorten the bolts.
I think tho you need such height because the damper mounts below the handlebar and the damper itself has a specific height. The extra added 10mm is for the damper mount which bolts onto the steernig head plate.
Cheers,
Dom
yup... i don't think their design allows a 30mm rise from stock without hitting the damper though. have you seen or done one at 30? from my experience any more than 30 makes the cables really tight.

Old 12-07-2004, 07:52 AM   #4
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
I'm working on a scotts damper mounting system similar to sommers right now. It will be available in the new year... but with the drawbacks removed. Some things i didn't like about sommers such as height (40mm rise) which makes the cables very tight will be changed (ideally 30mm). The damper itself bolts on, but the "spigot" is designed as a weld on unit, which can be done easily by any shop... In the future there may be a clamp on kit.

Pm me if you're interested. Cost will be around $100 plus the damper (currently $320.).
Will it work without the dampener? It would be interestin' early next year if I didn't have to buy the Scott's right away. Also, did you consider the other dampeners out there or is Scott's juz too bad arse to go with one of the others?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 07:58 AM   #5
Loadedagain OP
making chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Will it work without the dampener? It would be interestin' early next year if I didn't have to buy the Scott's right away. Also, did you consider the other dampeners out there or is Scott's juz too bad arse to go with one of the others?
yes you can install the adapter without the damper. and yes... there i will make adapters for other dampers such as gpr.

you guys let me know and i'll build to suit. i chose scotts because i believe it to be a better design and higher quality. i may be wrong....

Old 12-07-2004, 10:37 AM   #6
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
yes you can install the adapter without the damper. and yes... there i will make adapters for other dampers such as gpr.

you guys let me know and i'll build to suit. i chose scotts because i believe it to be a better design and higher quality. i may be wrong....

Sounds rockin' Loaded - too soon for me to commit unfortunately - but I will come to you first when I can . but i think you should post this in the Equipment and Vendor's forums.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:48 AM   #7
Loadedagain OP
making chips

Quote:
i think you should post this in the Equipment and Vendor's forums.
when i'm selling something i will. development right now. manufacturing a product you guys want is more important to me than selling it. if you've got input let me have it.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:52 AM   #8
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
if you've got input let me have it.
The bolt on option sounds better to someone like me with commitment issues welding is so permanent.

You are on the right track with the height; new cables just for a bit longer would suck.

But the big thing is the dampener going under the bars; that is the glory hole of setups.

Old 12-07-2004, 11:13 AM   #9
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Quote:
Sounds rockin' Loaded - too soon for me to commit unfortunately - but I will come to you first when I can . but i think you should post this in the Equipment and Vendor's forums.
Meat popsicle is right. This belongs in the Vendor forum. Telling folks that you'll be making and selling these is the same as selling them. I'm not trying to prevent anyone from finding out about something that might benefit them or prevent you from peddling your wares, but we have very clear rules about this gets done and they should apply to everyone.

Please use the Vendor forum for future comments about products you are selling. As others buy them, they'll get plenty of comments from users in the regular forums anyway. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:27 PM   #10
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch
Meat popsicle is right. This belongs in the Vendor forum. Telling folks that you'll be making and selling these is the same as selling them. I'm not trying to prevent anyone from finding out about something that might benefit them or prevent you from peddling your wares, but we have very clear rules about this gets done and they should apply to everyone.

Please use the Vendor forum for future comments about products you are selling. As others buy them, they'll get plenty of comments from users in the regular forums anyway. Thanks.
Didn't know there was a rule... just thought that it would get more attention there.

I think that he is trying to use the Thumper crew to brainstorm. Not that our brains make many storms... but he could get lucky!