Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2010, 04:18 AM   #1
jjohn82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Considering purchase of 990

Hello all, second post on the forum.

OK, I am a dirt rider, don't spend much time on pavement other than going to and from dirt roads, however, I am tired of using my buzzy KTM450 to do longer rides.

A little about the intended use. I am not going to do long rides, mostly here in the south east, long day trips from Atlanta and back, occasional camping overnighter. I am going to explore forest service roads and some single track. And I do intend to stop and fish.

I guess I am looking for opinions on the 990 for mostly off-road use. I can read marketing stuff all day, but I'd like to get some real world experience please. I would say I am also considering the BMW 800.

Thanks in advance

Jeff
jjohn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 1,966
Hi Jeff, Welcome.

I have just over 22,000 miles on my '07 990 (and only ride one day a week) and all I can say is WOW! this bike rocks! I have had it in some really bad places, and it never has let me down.

Just yesterday I did 240 miles with about 150 miles in some of the roughest jeep trails in Arizona. Then hopped on the Interstate and ran 80mph. home. Try that on a thumper....

This bike is addicting, I can't get enough of it! I have done several 700+ mile days, I do have a Renazco seat though and a full Super Plush suspension set up. My bike has been from Death Valley at -216 feet to Misquito Pass in Colorado at over 14,000 feet and never once hiccuped!

Get one, ride it, smile all the way.......

It does like rear tires.
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:06 AM   #3
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
well, you're asking on the Orange Crush, so we're all gonna say we love 'em!

Which is true. There's no bike I'd rather have than my 990. However, for me it's big strength is it's versatility EVERYWHERE: It's like a Ducati on the road, a Rally bike in the dirt, you can load it up like a Goldwing, take a passenger, whatever. So yeah, it CAN do single track, but she's a big 'ole girl. If I was rarely going to see pavement as you are describing I might lean more toward the KTM 690 Enduro which is quite a bit lighter and still crazy powerful (I've heard...). However, it also sounds like maybe you're really wanting a twin cylinder, which is INTOXICATING. When I get on other ppls thumpers they feel like toys, the 990 Adventure feels like a space ship or a jet fighter!

The 990 EATS dirt roads. 90, 100, 110 mph... Jeep trails are a blast, and for me the most fun trails are ATV type tracks that are too small for Jeeps but still give you a bit more line selection than single track. The limited single track I've done on the 990 has been fun but it required SO much concentration and physical effort that I couldn't go very far before being mentally and physically cooked, but it's possible!

The coolness factor is worth mentioning too: The Adventure and Super Enduro are unique and undeniably mean. It's fun being "the crazy guy who rides that huge, weird, orange bike."

Hope that helps, good luck with your search!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
T O Double D
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
As much as I dig my 950 it sounds to me like a 650 would better suit you. It's possible to ride SS on a 9xx but it ain't easy and loaded forget about it. But then again I've seen people ride the GSA in some pretty gnarly places. It's not a question of if the bike can make it, but how much work you want to put into getting it through.

Have you looked at the 690. It will likely be my next bike.
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #5
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D
It's not a question of if the bike can make it, but how much work you want to put into getting it through.

Have you looked at the 690? It will likely be my next bike.

I rode my 990 to the slop and through the slop two weekends ago. This past weekend, it was the 525EXC carrying me to the slop and through the slop. The 990 wore me out in the sand and on the trails, but it is so smooth and comfy on the roads and highways. The 525 is light and easy on the body in the slop, but then beats me up on the asphalt to and from!

My thinking after this exercise (literally) is get in better shape and ride the 990 everywhere OR find the perfect dual sport bike that does both. (not gonna happen!) In the end, I'll continue to ride both, but the lighter EXC has been relegated to local duty only!
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohn82
A little about the intended use. I am not going to do long rides, mostly here in the south east, long day trips from Atlanta and back, occasional camping overnighter. I am going to explore forest service roads and some single track. And I do intend to stop and fish.
Have you considered getting a 950 Super Enduro? Otherwise as stated, the 690 Enduro or a Husky TE630 might be a better fit. If you were doing longer rides or more pavement, the 990Adv would get the nod, but you say you won't be.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
jjohn82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It's funny how similar the two threads are becoming, here and over on the BMW side.

I should clarify that the "off-road" portion of this is forest service type roads and whatever else I can somewhat "legally" get to from them. I should clarify that when the going gets very tough, I'll use my 450, tougher than that my trials bike. I am not going to muscle a 500lb beast too often. I had a XR650L, so I am used to riding "heavier" bikes off road.

I have seen a few 950SE's pop up for sale used on the board here, but honestly they seem too dirt oriented for me as does the 690 and the Husky's. I have a tagged 450 EXC. The 950SE has a lot of cool factor though, and if I had a more streetable DS, I'd go for that instantly (maybe that sums up my feelings, I am looking for a more streetable off-road oriented bike).
Old 09-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #8
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's funny how similar the two threads are becoming, here and over on the BMW side.

I should clarify that the "off-road" portion of this is forest service type roads and whatever else I can somewhat "legally" get to from them. I should clarify that when the going gets very tough, I'll use my 450, tougher than that my trials bike. I am not going to muscle a 500lb beast too often. I had a XR650L, so I am used to riding "heavier" bikes off road.

I have seen a few 950SE's pop up for sale used on the board here, but honestly they seem too dirt oriented for me as does the 690 and the Husky's. I have a tagged 450 EXC. The 950SE has a lot of cool factor though, and if I had a more streetable DS, I'd go for that instantly (maybe that sums up my feelings, I am looking for a more streetable off-road oriented bike).
I think your "I am a dirt rider" and "some single track" comments probably made people think you were looking for something harder-core. I'm still kinda confused by what you say: "OK, I am a dirt rider, don't spend much time on pavement other than going to and from dirt roads ..... I guess I am looking for opinions on the 990 for mostly off-road use"

I guess I'm therefore not exactly sure on "I am looking for a more streetable off-road oriented bike". I suppose thats an F800GS but if you don't want to ride it much on the street, why don't you get another XR650L?

These kinda posts always do a good job of channeling the fact that the OP is conflicted ;-)
Old 09-14-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
jjohn82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
I think your "I am a dirt rider" and "some single track" comments probably made people think you were looking for something harder-core. I'm still kinda confused by what you say: "OK, I am a dirt rider, don't spend much time on pavement other than going to and from dirt roads ..... I guess I am looking for opinions on the 990 for mostly off-road use"

I guess I'm therefore not exactly sure on "I am looking for a more streetable off-road oriented bike". I suppose thats an F800GS but if you don't want to ride it much on the street, why don't you get another XR650L?

These kinda posts always do a good job of channeling the fact that the OP is conflicted ;-)
Agreed, I was about as clear as mud. I was trying to convey how I ride now, and stating that I want to ride longer paved sections. I may never ride the 990 as I do my 450. I am looking for something I can go from Acworth to the mountains, blast some FS roads, hit some paved roads and make it back. The "off-road" I intend for this bike would be FS roads and legal areas like that. I will save my 450 for the true "technical/tight" stuff.

When I had my 650, I never felt right riding it at any speed (65+) and it just blew me around, at 6'4" I make quite a sail. Both the 800 and 990 seem to fit the bill of what I'm looking for. The 990 may be more technical off road where the 800 may be less so. The 800 seems to need some additional $$$ to make it closer to the 990 off road from the opinions I get.

I have really only been seriously looking for about a month. So I guess I am still learning what I want.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:03 AM   #10
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The 990 may be more technical off road where the 800 may be less so. The 800 seems to need some additional $$$ to make it closer to the 990 off road from the opinions I get.
Sure, but given the riding you intend, do you need those capabilities?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17nDyjJJV0Q

I'm sure the suspension is non-stock but these guys obviously can ride the F800 well.

I've ridden the F800, I liked it. Less focused than the 990, less buzzy. Much better fuel economy. Not as much torque and the suspension isn't as good as the KTM 9x0.

People do day/light touring on the 950SE all the time ("I am looking for something I can go from Acworth to the mountains, blast some FS roads, hit some paved roads and make it back").