Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2010, 06:58 AM   #1
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,933
Exotic Eastern Canada-Northern Latitudes 2010. Trans-Taiga, Trans- Labrador & beyond.

EXOTIC EASTERN CANUCKISTAN-THE RETURN TO NORTHERN LATITUDES 2010

Provinces: Ontario, Quebec, Labrador/Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick

James Bay, Long Point, Trans Taiga, North Road, Trans Labrador, Viking Trail, Cabot Trail, and others.

8,142 miles, 2,017 miles on gravel roads

So after the debacle of getting underway last season where I spent all of a few hours getting the bike ready and packing for a 30 day northern trip, I was determined to do a much better job this time around.

To get in the proper mindset for my 48th year of ventures across the Canadian border, I’ve been drinking Crown Royal for the past two weeks. Blue too.

The bike is just about ready, and I’ve actually started to think about packing up the required junk. No problem, I’ve got three whole days left before departure. Oops, my schedule is all goofed up and I have to work those days. Damn.

Don’t know why the start of these trips has to look like some old black and white photo of a guy getting shot out of a cannon, but when they light the fuse I’m thinkin’ “Man, I don’t want to be missin’ that net.”

Here we go…this is the bike, a new build for this ride.

(to be continued)
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
WarLlama
belligerent cameloid

Oddometer: 16,608
Sweet looking bike! ADV sticker right on the engine?

WarLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

thanks, bike was built to run the northern gravel. ADV sticker is on a SS plate attached to a tab on the frame.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Day 1: ate year="2010" day="21" month="8">Saturday 8/21/10ate>, Home to Winchester, VA, 199 miles

I finally jumped on my horse late in the day and started a short ride west by northwest to Winchester. I wanted to leave earlier and the bike was packed and ready to go, but I needed to complete a few things at the office and around the house. Damn, no nice rested start for this trip either. I do like to run up to the kids house and then go on from there because it gives me some miles to get a feel for the loaded bike and make sure itís running the way it should. It was, no problems.

The sun was real low and bright in the western sky and I was riding right into it. I had a dull ache between my shoulders, and my eyes were on fire, nearly shut. I donít usually wear sunglasses, but I had a new Arai XD3 and the visor was helping some. The dew point was 82d and the air was so hot and thick it was like riding through a thin soup. Light traffic, and many state guys running radar on this stretch so I had to watch the speed. When I reach the first intersection, some people point my direction. It has to be the fuel cans, unusual equipment east of the Mississippi. I give up on reaching I95 before it comes to a standstill at rush hour and stopped for a soft drink. It was only 98d, and I had the liner in my jacket. I needed something real cold, and right now.

I pull the bike into a convenience mart and do my somewhat awkward dismount. Sorry, but Iím about 150 years old and not as limber as I used to be. Leaning up against the concrete block wall is a guy even older than me, like maybe you might have to carbon date him to find out when he was born. I was in fine shape by comparison, and that thought perked me right up.

Everything he was wearing was faded. Faded hat, work shirt, khaki pants, and even his boots were now just a dusty sand color. Faded, that is except for his boney face, weathered dark as tree bark and about the same texture. Rail thin and standing there with his cane, it struck me that it might be less painful for him to stand than it was to sit. I nodded to him by way of introduction, but got no reaction in return. Helmut off, then jacket, I left everything on the bike and went in to get my drink. The old guy wasnít talkative, but I didnít think he would let anyone wander off with my gear.

When I came back out, the guy was still standing there. I think it was his spot, and if I came back a month from now, he would be standing right there. He was enjoying the cigarette hanging in the corner of his mouth and was one of those smokers who both inhale and exhale with the thing just parked there. He didnít look like he was watchiní, but donít kid yourself, those old eyes see everything.

Halfway through my drink, two Harleys pull in and park right next to me. The bikes were angled away from me and could have been the Jap version of those bikes, I donít follow that market too closely. Thirtyish couples, half helmets, short sleeves, cargo shorts, and sneakers. Harleys or not, they thought they were riding Harleys. One bike had a diecut on the fender that said ďHead MotherfuckerĒ. Gee, that goes real well with those new white tennies. The girls were jumbo size, but still shopped for size 4. Any of those buttons let loose and innocent bystanders would be killed by shrapnel. They looked at me, then the bike, but never said a word.

Time to go, this ainít my crowd. Jacket back on, and Iím about to put the helmet on when I glance at the old man. Heís looking right at me, we make eye contact, he looks over at the Harley crew, and then directly back to meÖwith a wink, and an almost imperceptible smile. I really have to laugh. The old guy looks to be a day past dead and chooses not to talk, but it doesnít mean heís blind to certain dynamics or realities. With a smile and another nod to my ancient friend, Iím gone.

Back riding, and Iím heading into I95 mayhem. I know Iíll find it there, but these things are a matter of degree. In other words, Iím hoping for at least a slow roll and not a dead stop. Riding up to the ramp, I see a guy in a small white POS car pull off a five lane u-turn in the middle of traffic. Nobody pounding on the horn, this must be an acceptable move these days. Sorta like a new trick at the X-Games. I donít get out much, so I wouldnít have a clue on how to score it.

I draw the slow roll card, but Iím not on there long before I exit and shoot off to the northwest. Sunset, and the misty air is cooler. Iím almost comfortable moving along with all the gear vents open. Switch on the Piaa fogs just to drive the cagers nuts, and maybe help them see me in fading light. I pass about 100 deer in the last fifty miles and am glad to pull into an open garage at my destination. I get a warm welcome, as well as a new bandana from my daughter for this trip.

Iíll wear it for luck, and as everybody knows, thereís no such thing as too much luck on these trips.

I wanted to be a good ways north tomorrow, so I called it quits early. I did check the weather radar, and man, it looks wet where Iím headed. Weíll see.

(Iím always slow on getting the camera going on these trips. More photos coming, I promise)

To be continuedÖ
Old 09-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
patiodadio
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 351
Old 09-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #6
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,644

This is gonna be good.

Great meeting you on the road, David!

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Awesome work on the bike! What a beauty

Love the writing style
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt

Great meeting you on the road, David!

--mark
likewise. PM sent.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:45 AM   #9
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 326
What is the bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarLlama
Sweet looking bike! ADV sticker right on the engine?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the bike - I can't recognise what make/model it is? Cheers from a curious Kiwi...
Old 10-14-2010, 05:15 AM   #10
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKiwi
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the bike - I can't recognise what make/model it is?
it's a kawasaki 650R, with some changes made. outside the States, it would be called an EX650, or ER6F.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #11
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks
it's a kawasaki 650R, with some changes made. outside the States, it would be called an EX650, or ER6F.

"SOME" changes

Now that's funny.....I love it.

Yep! That thing is damn near stock, except for the knobby tires.
dhillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #12
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillr
Yep! That thing is damn near stock, except for the knobby tires.
Dave, it's those tires, really, they cause a lot of confusion.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #13
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks
OK, the nija modified - some modification, looks really good. Have you posted elsewhere what you did to this bike? If not would you mind giving me the short run down of the mods..? Thanks.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:04 AM   #14
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKiwi
...would you mind giving me the short run down of the mods..? Thanks.
here ya go, build is mixed in with some other things but you can skim over all that.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5480

here's another one built standard ride height by some friends for running some of our local gravel roads. the fabrication work is outstanding.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608309

these bikes are a very inexpensive build in the States, any questions, just ask.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:46 AM   #15
UpST8
turnin gas to noise

Oddometer: 6,889

Looking forward to this! Saw some teaser pics already, need more..

cRAzY

UpST8 screwed with this post 09-19-2010 at 09:00 AM
UpST8 is offline   Reply With Quote