User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
Gramp-Z OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Couple volcanos , stonehenge and some peg scraping

Had planned to do this ride last year , but instead Flying Eyeball and I took RTW Doug up to Sunrise on Mt Rainier . Then had a fork seal let go , so canceled it then . I have had my new to me 08' Weestrom a couple of months now and wanted to see how my old body and it worked on a little longer ride than I usually have time for . First off , here is a picture of her loaded and ready to go .

I took off around 8:30 and headed out Hwy 169 to Enumclaw where I turned on to Hwy 410 . I always stop off at the Greenwater store for a drink and snack .

Then up past Crystal Ski Resort and took Hwy 123 down to Hwy 12 on into Randle . Just a few pics of Rainier along the way .

As I turn on to 131 (FS 25) , I'm kind of wound up . Been looking forward to this road for a while .

I have no idea how long it will take me to get down to the Columbia River . These roads are twisting turning and a lot of fun . This route takes you near the east and south side of Mt St Helens . Miles and miles of fun turns , with plenty of rough sections . Glad I'm on my WeeStrom , my Sabre would have bottomed on many of the bad spots . Speaking of SPOT , guess I didn't hold down the OK button long enough to trigger the tracking , GRRRR .

Gramp-Z screwed with this post 12-05-2010 at 11:29 AM Reason: reload pictures
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
Gramp-Z OP
Studly Adventurer

Pardon my crappy presentation for the next two videos . Turn the sound off or real low .

Couldn't ask for better weather , mostly clear . As I'm having a blast riding along the almost rain forest like deep woods , thoughts of work etc just melt away . Helmet time is just good for me . Not too much traffic , and several cars pull over to let me by ! Life is good . Anyway , kept riding along FS 25 then turned onto Wind River Road and rode that down to Hwy 14 . Stopped at a view point for St Helens and talked to several riders . Couple of pirates , drinking a cold one . And a guy on his Wee with his daughter with him . No pictures , sorry . As I am getting closer to the Columbia , I am getting a little wore down . More or less 130 miles of twisties ! Last few miles I got passed by some sport bikes and a V Strom . Met up with them when we hit 14 . Guys were on a several day ride them selves . We got caught at construction zones several times , wait for pilot car etc. Starting to get warm along the river . Started this ride in leather gloves at 56 degrees , switched to winter gloves up near Rainier . Would guess around 40 . Nice ride along the river , relaxing to be able to make some miles on gentle sweepers . Next spot for a quick picture is at Maryhill , Stonehenge . A little down the road had to stop and get a shot of a buffalo on a high rock , then Mc Narey Dam .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryhill_Stonehenge

I forgot to mention that the ride from Maple Valley down to the Columbia took almost 6 hours . If I want to get to the Blue Mountains today , going to have to pick up the pace !

Gramp-Z screwed with this post 06-17-2012 at 09:13 AM Reason: fixed out of date verbage
Old 09-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
Gramp-Z OP
Studly Adventurer

Have to admit that the little 650 does better than I thought . Corners better than I thought and mileage is pretty good so far . As I ride along the Columbia , the temp is going up pretty quick . First ride on some scorpion "duce" mesh pants , think I'm going to like them . I ride 14 to 395 , then up to Kennewick , right on 12 to 124/12 over to Dayton . It is a little later than I had hoped for as I ride up to Tucannon Rd. . 19 miles to The Last Resort KOA in the dark . Its a narrow winding road . I like the headlights , lit up some deer in plenty of time to stop 30' short of the pair . I try and never ride after dark , but what else are you going to do ? Pulled in a little after 8PM , the lady was just locking up . She told me where to go , er , put my tent up . Said she would settle up with me in the morning , gave me a bathroom key and wifi access code and left . Didn't have the "lay of the land' , Couldn't find my LED headlamp , so put the tent up pretty much in the dark . Didn't want to piss off any other campers with the headlight . Didn't sleep to well , old joints didn't like my old colman self inflating pad . In the morning , before first light I went and showered . Several deer were wandering around the campground , but I wasn't fast enough on the camera . I did manage to snag a few pictures of the turkeys as they scooped up some gravel .

Sorry for the blurry pic of bike and tent . I am very marginal with a camera and computers . Overall this is a nice campground , right next to the tent is a tiny creek that made some quiet sounds , and you can hear the river a little ways away . In the morning I found there were only 2 other campsites taken , they were scouting for the upcoming hunting season .

Gramp-Z screwed with this post 12-05-2010 at 11:19 AM Reason: reload pictures
Old 09-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
Gramp-Z OP
Studly Adventurer

After the very limited sleep , decided to make this a 2 day trip . Will have to come back to ride around the Blue Mountains . So I settled up my bill and topped the gas tank . Had a pastry and bottle of apple juice and hit the road . Riding out on Tucannon Road was all new because I sure didn't see much on the way in . Had to slow down for deer several times , also for flocks of turkeys . I don't think I have ever seen so many turkeys in one area in my whole life .

I rode St Hwy 261 up past Starbuck over Lyons Ferry Bridge , a nice road . And the next section of it was just about a "zen" ride . Perfect rolling hills and an assortment of curves with pretty good pavement and almost no traffic . Must be getting old , had a blast even near the speed limit !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyons_Ferry_Bridge

Hwy 26

After reaching Washtucan I headed west on Hwy 26 . Note , this road is good for burning miles and thats about it . Didn't know how long I was going to go before I hit the "wall" running on almost no rem sleep . I stopped at a rest area where 26 and I-395 intersect . Used their restroom and ate some seeds and drank some water . A lone bike came riding up . Being the shy old fart that I am , I went right over to shoot the breeze . Didn't even notice what his bike was , a Honda , Yamaha , big twin cruiser . He was wearing leather jacket and chaps . We talked about 2 minutes and he said he was from southeastern South Dakota , I told him I was from Alcester SD . he was stunned . Said he was from Beresford , a town about 12 miles away from Alcester . Turns out we know some of the same people . He graduated about 8 years after I did . He had ridden to Colorao to see one of his sons , then out to central California to visit the other son . Said he was going to try and make Yellowstone by that night . A nice meeting ! And I remembered to get his picture , right after I pulled back on the highway , damn . [/IMG]
I decided to stop in Othello and grab a breakfast bowl at Burger King . Man that town has grown since the early 80s when I used to come over bird hunting . After the quick snack and taking out the liners in the jacket and pants and switching to mesh gloves it was a short ride to I-90 and over the Vantage Bridge . Where I turned off to go to Ginkgo Petrified Forest .

In the second picture you can see a line in the water in the upper left .
That is the old hwy before they built the dam downstream .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginkgo_Petrified_Forest

Didn't take any pictures from there to my house , been through there too many times to care . Last picture of my windshield , were a few bugs out . Total trip was only 727 miles .

Gramp-Z screwed with this post 12-05-2010 at 11:27 AM Reason: reloading pictures
Old 09-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
Gramp-Z OP
Studly Adventurer

Almost forgot my "Track" from SPOT for the second day . Wish I wouldn't have screwed up on day one , those tracks would have been good .
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...kuusRxPvALcXe9
Old 09-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
Adventure Kitty
Tuna Gatita Blanca

Oddometer: 1,270
BOLCANO!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramp-Z
Old 01-13-2012, 03:22 AM   #8
Ian Robinson
SlowRobo

Oddometer: 286
Love the pics.. we don't have mountains like that in Australia. It is always good to get on "the road" & talk to other like minded m/cylist. enjoyed the read..
Ian Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
azwheelin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Thanks for the report and pictures. That is a beautiful area up there. Hope to see it again soon on my wee.
azwheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
Gramp-Z OP
Studly Adventurer

azwheelin ; thanks , there are so many great places to ride in the northwest it is hard to choose where to go . In Oregon and Washington you can see the Pacific in the morning , ride through 2 mountain ranges during the day and sleep in the desert in the evening . During the summer you can pretty much pick a temperature and the plot a course to get there . I don't enjoy heat too much anymore , so visiting your area would be a late fall through early spring ride for me .
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Old 01-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #11
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,683
Terrific report. I missed it when you first posted it so I'm glad it was bumped forward.
"Be real careful which and who's dream you get caught up in!!!" ~ Jettn Jim
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #12
Gramp-Z OP
Studly Adventurer

Ladybug , thank you kindly . I wish I was a word smith and great photo expert . Or even an above average rider with way more time to ride and practice ride report skills . I made an aborted attempt to go to D2D last June . I rode 1,100 miles in 2 days and took a total of 5 pictures ! Could have used the GoPro , but the water droplets would have ruined any pics . The only good part of the ride was riding and finding out that Frog Toggs actually kept me bone dry . Hope to make another attempt this year if I can save enough vacation and money .
Old 01-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
DCZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
What a beautiful part of the country - Thanks for taking us

Rick
DCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #14
Gramp-Z OP
Studly Adventurer

Rick , haven't been down in your neck of the woods for many years . And that was on a street bike . Almost moved to Fort Collins in 77' to work for Woodward Governor , but came out to Seattle area to work for Boeing . Hopefully in a couple years I can make it out there on my WeeStrom . Retirement just around the corner , hopefully .Thanks for the reply !