User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2004, 02:04 PM   #1
ktmnate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
LC4 Adventure Carb problems?

I recently did the "Flanny" carb fix which fixed everything except the top speed. My bike runs great starts right up but won't go over 85mph. Yea, yea, I know it's a dirt bike and shouldn't be going that fast. But it did before I tinkered with the carb. Here is what I have:

Drilled out the exhaust with 12 plates
carb needle moved down one position (raising needle)
162.5 main (I also tried 152.5 and 157.5)
2.5 coils cut off the slide spring
drilled out the slide
KTM hard parts air box cover
1.1 air jet

I have checked the slide and everything looks like it's working. The slide goes up and down without any binding. I checked the carb vent and breather. Looking at the parts diagram, I am missing a "throttle stop". If I remember correctly, the throttle stop just keeps the power down by keeping the slide from comming all the way up. Would anyone have any sugestions/Ideas. I am at a loss.

Thanks
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 03:20 PM   #2
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmnate
I recently did the "Flanny" carb fix which fixed everything except the top speed. My bike runs great starts right up but won't go over 85mph. Yea, yea, I know it's a dirt bike and shouldn't be going that fast. But it did before I tinkered with the carb. Here is what I have:

Drilled out the exhaust with 12 plates
carb needle moved down one position (raising needle)
162.5 main (I also tried 152.5 and 157.5)
2.5 coils cut off the slide spring
drilled out the slide
KTM hard parts air box cover
1.1 air jet

I have checked the slide and everything looks like it's working. The slide goes up and down without any binding. I checked the carb vent and breather. Looking at the parts diagram, I am missing a "throttle stop". If I remember correctly, the throttle stop just keeps the power down by keeping the slide from comming all the way up. Would anyone have any sugestions/Ideas. I am at a loss.

Thanks
Put your IMO back to 21"

ok, just kidding, might want to state what you drilled the slide holes out to - creeper said that more is not better () they thought that .110" was groovy, maybe a bit more. Also, you should state how many miles and any other info that might be relevant (you are a leadwrist, streetlight dragracer, never change the oil, 50,000 miles on the clock - stuff like that).

My 03 shows over 85 and that speed is fine with me on the street; haven't tried those speeds off road . Staying at those speeds might have other consequences... If Jerome is right, keeping the revs above 6K for extended periods is what puts your valves out of spec (he said that he didnt see them vary unless he had done lots of speed runs ).

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 03:35 PM   #3
ktmnate OP
Beastly Adventurer

the bike just broke 15k with 17/42 gears. I drilled the slide out to 1/8". wasn't really that much bigger than they were. I do change the oil frequently between 500 and 3000 miles depending on what kind of riding. Valves were adjusted 1500 miles ago and weren't that really off. I do all kinds of riding. I don't usually ride over 75mph, I was just passing someone and noticed that my little girl didn't want to go.

PS -I am using the GPS for speed reading, not the IMO. I find that the IMO isn't very accurate regardless of wheel size setting.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:14 PM   #4
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmnate
the bike just broke 15k with 17/42 gears. I drilled the slide out to 1/8". wasn't really that much bigger than they were. I do change the oil frequently between 500 and 3000 miles depending on what kind of riding. Valves were adjusted 1500 miles ago and weren't that really off. I do all kinds of riding. I don't usually ride over 75mph, I was just passing someone and noticed that my little girl didn't want to go.

PS -I am using the GPS for speed reading, not the IMO. I find that the IMO isn't very accurate regardless of wheel size setting.
That should do it. The .125" drilling was the top end of the suggestions so its probably fine. I don't know the gearing changes but I guess you would know if those are geared too low for top speed...

The IMO crack was from a thread a bit back when there was a "Taste's Great/Less Filling" debate about 19" vs. 21" - the 19" gives better speed estimates while the 21" gives better odometer estimates. Something about EU rules requiring the speedo to read lower - which makes no sense to me (if everyone knows what's the point? )

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 04:42 PM   #5
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Hey Nate...

You know me, I always ask the stupidest, most obvious questions first to get them out of the way... so, the most stupid and obvious is.........................

Did it go over 85 before you modified everything?

Obviousman
Old 12-09-2004, 05:13 PM   #6
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Here is another one.... have you recently cleaned and re-oiled the air filter?

And... one more... are your throttle cables adjusted correctly, to open the throttle all the way to the stop?

Ooh ooh... one more... Kidding
Old 12-09-2004, 05:16 PM   #7
ktmnate OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Hey Nate...

You know me, I always ask the stupidest, most obvious questions first to get them out of the way... so, the most stupid and obvious is.........................

Did it go over 85 before you modified everything?

Obviousman
It sure did. I even have an award from the Kalifornia Highway Patrol! I tried to explain that I was doing some testing and it's only a one cylinder but he didn't bite. He actually called it a Beemer! I almost slaped him but then remembered he had a gun and a badge