User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
Dirt McGirt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
OHH MAN!?! DR650 header glowing red

Well I guess I should start by saying that I had been experimenting with which jets and mixture settings worked best for the old DR. This was while it was alot hotter and alot more humid here. I got it to where it seemed to be working about as good as I could get it.(pretty darned good)

Now the weather has changed and it is a whole lot cooler and less moisture in the air.

I have the 170 main jet, clip set at the #4 from the top of the needle slot. I had the mixture screw set at between 3/4 and 1 turn out.

The instuctions that came with my extended mixture screw from kientech said to set it between 3/4 and 1 1/8 turns out.

The paperwork that came with the dynojet kit says 2 1/2 turns out, which seems to be way too rich in everyone's opinion, including mine.

Now the issue, I just came out of my dad's house after letting the bike sit for over an hour. The bike was cold enough to need to be choked to idle.

After less than 2 minutes(of idling) the header was glowing red, never in 4 years have I seen this happen.

This made me real nervous, but once I fattened up the mixture it seemed to be back to normal.

Anybody had this happen before?

Is it semi-normal?

Is it easy to fry a motor this way?

Anything I should be worried about?

Anybody care to give me your thoughts on this? Thanks guys Dirt

Dirt McGirt screwed with this post 09-19-2010 at 07:03 PM
Dirt McGirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,472
take this over to thumpers and the dr650 thread and you'll have better luck with the right answers

www.northwoodsairheads.com
www.jefftrappwindsors.com

"Between two explanations, choose the clearest; between two forms,
the most elementary; between two expressions, the shortest."
Between two motorcycles the simplest (DW)
Eugeni d' Ors (1881-1954); Spanish writer.

jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
MarylandStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
It happened all the time on my old Yamaha WR400 when I let it idle. I never liked the idea of it glowing, so I tried not to idle very long. But in my opinion it is pretty normal on big bore four strokes.

I think a lot of people don't notice that their thumpers are glowing red because they seldom ride at night. The glow can be seen in daylight but obviously not as easy as in the dark.
MarylandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
Bobthebiker
not normal

Oddometer: 493
I've seen the glowing exhaust thing. idling excessively does that. basically what it is, is that you have all that exhaust heat building up, and no airflow to help carry said heat off, so the pipe begins to heat up and glow.

doing this isnt GREAT for your engine, try if you can to keep air flowing over it. overheating it may cause damage you dont even want to realize can be done so easy.

error 404: common sense not found.
Bobthebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
Jrmobb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
glowing is normal no worries. Happens on all my bikes. Like stated previously, most people just never ride at night so they dont see it.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:38 AM   #6
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrmobb
glowing is normal no worries. Happens on all my bikes. Like stated previously, most people just never ride at night so they dont see it.
+1 normal.....won`t hurt a thing,no airflow cooling the header.....mine will glow red when idling and the oil teperature is only 200 degrees,so the engine itself is not really hot..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote