User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,697
Two Flat Landers Battle the Backroads in Arkansas on a F800GS and 640 Adventure

Hey Yall! Chris (child) and I (Oliver) just got done with a multi-day trip to Arkansas. We found some really cool and challenging roads along with lots of high speed scenic gravel! This is my 4th trip to Arkansas but the first for Chris. One of his comments at the end of trip was that sections of the Arkansas roads were comparable to our recent Colorado trip!!

The weather was absolutely perfect and we had a blast!

The greatest part about Arkansas is the unknown roads and trials that sprout along the marked roads in the forests.... If you go slow enough you will see all sorts of neat two-track, single track or campsites along the paths.

We just got back late Sunday and I am still working on my pictures. Between us we have a ton of pictures, I hope you enjoy the ride report!

NEW: GPS FILE LINK:

http://www.seestoryrun.com/gallery/_...X-Oct-2010.zip

Here are some teasers to keep you interested:

The first thing we did when we got into the forest was to do Warloop Road backwards! Here is my bike on the difficult section, I had tried to bypass the ledge but I lost momentum. Chris' bike had a different problem at this point and we both were worried...

This is an unmarked trail we decided to take. Started off really cool, got even cooler and then eventually got way too exciting for me, as you will see later in the ride report.

This part was really fun! We were thoroughly enjoying the trails and amazing weather!

The scenery in Arkansas is amazing! I love all the little creek crossings (many of them do not have bridges).

Hey wait a minute... why is my bike missing a plethora of plastic...? And why is my bodywork strapped to the luggage? We will have to find out during the ride report

(At the moment I am afraid of how much it will cost to fix and if there is any structural damage but I still consider myself lucky to be relatively unhurt...)

EnderTheX screwed with this post 10-21-2010 at 06:04 PM
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,415
Looks cool. In.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:46 AM   #3
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,612
Well, with an opener like that...

sign me up!

hope you didn't bust your ribs.
(again)

LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Thanks crazybrit and Oddball! Let's get this thing started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan
hope you didn't bust your ribs.
(again)

Hi Kelly My ribs are good, shoulder and knees a bit sore (even through the armor). I think I need new riding pants, the armor moves too much to be really effective, my jacket does much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz78
I hear there are some really friendly people in Arkansas. Sometimes w/ even friendlier Schnauzers.

Look forward to the complete AR report. Went thru your Colorado thread yesterday, pretty awesome stuff. Makes me want a bike asap.
Hey Jason!! Glad you could make it to our ride report dude. Thanks again for the firewood and hospitality. It is great to meet like minded friendly peeps in the middle of nowhere and share some good camping experiences.

If you keep reading ride reports on this site I'm surely going to bump into you on a 990 or 800 next time!!

Now lets get this ride report rolling! I'm going to post maps after each day and post gps tracks as soon as I get them over to Chris so he can host the file.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #5
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

So this ride started with me daydreaming in my cube... Why not go to Arkansas again? The weather is perfect this time of year and my bike is ready to go.

I call up Chris and proclaim my plan. He takes a day to confirm availability of the truck and we solidify our travel details.

This time there would be no base camp, we are going to ride fully loaded and only use the truck to make the seriously flat miles to a starting point outside the Arkansas forests.

The first day is a truck travel day. Without taking a vacation day I wait for Chris at my house after work.

When he finally arrives (Chris is always late) we throw my gear in the truck and load the bikes.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #6
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Stopping for fuel... Diesel is expensive! (but so are bike tires!)

Stopping for man fuel...

I used to frequent Jack's place in college all the time. They have expanded their menu slightly since them and it is good stuff.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 245
LOOK AT THAT ASS!!! damn oliver, add some NSFW tags next time!!!
Arkansas 2010
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #8
Jazz78
JMc

Oddometer: 1
I hear there are some really friendly people in Arkansas. Sometimes w/ even friendlier Schnauzers.

Look forward to the complete AR report. Went thru your Colorado thread yesterday, pretty awesome stuff. Makes me want a bike asap.
Jazz78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:30 AM   #9
Oddball
Starting over

Oddometer: 123
Dude I'm hooked again!

Keep it coming.
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
This is my 4th trip to Arkansas but the first for Chris.
You keep saying that! I've been to Arkansas dozens of times, just not on 2 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz78

Hey Mr. J! Glad you found us! Friendly people/dogs indeed! I also hear there are thousands of pirates in Arkansas; they're easy to avoid though, just find some pebbles on the road. Pebbles are poison to pirates.
Arkansas 2010
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #11
malsin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
This is an unmarked trail we decided to take. Started off really cool, got even cooler and then eventually got way too exciting for me, as you will see later in the ride report.

If this is where I think it is (north of Oark), then the "road" after this (if the picture is in the direction of travel) had lots of very deep "puddles"/potholes and mandatory jumps or bypasses that I wouldn't want my F650 anywhere near ...
Old 10-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #12
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by malsin
If this is where I think it is (north of Oark), then the "road" after this (if the picture is in the direction of travel) had lots of very deep "puddles"/potholes and mandatory jumps or bypasses that I wouldn't want my F650 anywhere near ...
Very true my friend. I will post more details on the exact location of this picture when we get there. You know that pic at the start without most of my front end bodywork?... Well that incident was on this very road...

EnderTheX screwed with this post 10-06-2010 at 11:43 AM