User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
Strummer OP
Snail Trailer

Oddometer: 2,151
SNAIL TRAILS Novice adventure rides Queensland, Australia

Snail Trails rides are Social Group rides of low to medium difficulty, for all levels of experience. The idea is that, no matter how slow you would like to ride the route, there will be no pressure applied for you to go faster. And there are always quite a few experienced riders who are more than willing to spend a few moments helping you through a difficult patch, or giving you some pointers on how better to handle the obstacle. Our main focus is on a fun, friendly ride, where everyone gets to ride how they want to. Our only rule is this 'Have the utmost respect for all other riders, and never do anything to spook or endanger anyone else'. Simple hey? And it works. We love these rides.

I thought I would pop some videos and photos on this thread, and continue to add them after future rides. Always check this first post, as I put all the new vids on here.

Here's a short video from Snail Trails 101, a training day we had in the beautiful Glasshouse Mountains near Brisbane. It had been pissing down with rain for the previous week, turning the forest into a quagmire. But that didn't dampen our spirits - just our apparel!

&ampampampampnbsp
&ampampampampnbsp

And here's a little one from a recce ride we did, in preparation for a weekend ride in the country. After weeks of heavy rain, the creek crossings were a little deep!

&ampampampampnbsp
&ampampampampnbsp

Here is part two of the recce ride for Snail Trails - Maidenwell

&ampampampampnbsp
&ampampampampnbsp

Here's a little ride report from an intermediate ride through Mt Mee. Good fun!

&ampampampampnbsp
&ampampampampnbsp

This one's a corker!

&ampampampampnbsp
&ampampampampnbsp

Snail Trails Maidenwell - The Actual Ride!

&ampampampampnbsp
&ampampampampnbsp

&ampampampampnbsp
&ampampampampnbsp

&ampampampampnbsp
&ampampampampnbsp

Snail Trails 6.0 Glasshouse Mountains

Our Recce ride through Glasshouse

A fun day out in Mt Mee State forest, a little slippery during the heavy rain! (This was not a Snail Trails Ride)

Another swim in Glasshouse Mountains State Forests... What a day out! (This was not a Snail Trails Ride)

Mount Mee was the venue for Snail Trails 6.1. As Glasshouse was rained out and too muddy (see the previous video!)

The end of year breakup drinks. All the good stuff never made it to video!

This next vid is not a Snail Trails ride. But I thought I'd throw it in for a bit of a laugh!

Here's some video from the next couple of intermediate rides through Mt Mee.

Strummer's music here - https://soundcloud.com/vospar-gem
Videos here:http://www.youtube.com/user/strummerdrz?feature=mhum

Strummer screwed with this post 01-03-2011 at 11:47 PM
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:26 PM   #2
1coolbanana
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Great videos mate
Good cause too

What video are you using?
1coolbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:47 AM   #3
Strummer OP
Snail Trailer

Oregon Scientific. So far so good, but as they say, it's all in the editing

Old 10-22-2010, 01:51 AM   #4
1coolbanana
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer
Oregon Scientific. So far so good, but as they say, it's all in the editing
Your right, it is .

The good quality helps!
1coolbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:58 AM   #5
Hardhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Good idea Strummer. Putting it all in one thread....
Old 10-22-2010, 02:50 AM   #6
Strummer OP
Snail Trailer

Feel free to add some photos Rob, the more the merrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead
Good idea Strummer. Putting it all in one thread....

Old 10-22-2010, 02:15 AM   #7
motocyklista
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Excellent
Cheers
motocyklista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:49 AM   #8
Strummer OP
Snail Trailer

More pics

Some more Snail Trails pics.

Here’s Sandy Lane on Rainbow Beach, during Snail Trails #3

Some of the crew stopped along the way for a photo op

Sandy with sandy

Greendude does some quick repairs, while Mickd stops to smell the flowers.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
Strummer OP
Snail Trailer

Snail Trails #6 Ride Report

The sun was out in Woodford this morning, and so were the Snail Trails team. Grouping up for number six in the series and ‘keen as’ to get out and sample some of the dirt delights that the Glasshouse mountains has to offer.

Strummer and Sandy Lane (DRZ’s), Lupine128 (KLR250), Johnnok (TE610), OBE01 (Khaki Killer), Tinky (FE390), Mickd (Tenere), Dusta (Tenere), Tanys and Nevagunna (F650GS’s), Nazza (DR650), Sabertooth Butterfly (NX650), TKSmith (DR650) and TKSmith junior!, Margarite (Domi), Raycam01_AU (KLR), Tim (KLX400), OffAgain (F800GS), Hodgo (AT), and Rowan (KTM990) (Did I miss anyone out?) were all waved off by a crutch-bound PeterGG, who had turned up to say hi to the gang after breaking his leg while playing on Tinky’s new ‘Berg.

Later in the day, OFB and KATO would join up with the group on their KTM’s.

We headed in through the Woodford section of the forest, to find that our favorite transport section of the track had been graded. Making this section both more boring, and more treacherous. The front end on the DRZ nearly tucked several times, so I left this track and led the group in a zig-zag through some excellent twin-track, deep grass, and light sand.

After a regroup at a corner, Barry (Johnnok) and I fanged off to set up to take some video and still shots, and as the group passed us, it soon became apparent that we had dwindled in numbers. While Barry and I waited, we amused ourselves with some ride by’s and creative photography, but after a few minutes I headed back to find that Tinky’s new machinery just plain would not start.

We began to make arrangements for her to be picked up by Peter, but miraculously, the fault was found (loose + terminal would you believe) and she rejoined the group, whoopin and cheering (she is really enjoying that bike!).

Some of the tracks got a little challenging for the larger bikes and newer riders, thanks to all the weather lately. But all riders made it to Peachester for the lunch stop, with only one small lay-down by Margarite (damn those tall bikes hey!). I got some terrific video along the way, including some footage of the youngest Snail Trailer ever – Todds young son, riding pillion (awesome, and a really nice kid too) so I was happy. And so was everyone else! At one rest stop Hodgo remarked ‘Listen to the atmosphere!’ – 20 riders talking excitedly as the adrenaline flowed and moments were re-lived.

We took a lunch break at Peachester store for a delicious burger. And who should show up? Peter! Getting in on the spirit of the ride, if not the actual ride itself. Poor bugger – talk about withdrawl symptoms!

After lunch the numbers had reduced a little, with Ray, Tim, Rowan, Todd, Margarite, Tanys and John all heading off to other appointments.

So we decided, with the smaller group, that taking Range road back toward Mount Beerwah would be the go.

What a blast! This track is an assault on the senses, endless whoops, puddles, drop offs, mud and sand. Lots of fun and really challenging for the newer riders. The laughs and yippee’s were flying almost as much as the mud.

Nazza lost her virginity here, coming down the first rock hill and forgetting that motorcyles run better when they are facing upwards. Couple of scratches and a bit of a knock on the elbow, but did that faze her? Well… yes a little, but to her credit, she kept at it to the end. Charley would be proud of ya! And so was I. After only your second Adv ride, you are progressing so well. Congrats.

From range road we headed directly back to Woodford (much to the disappointment of several of us) as a few people needed to make an early day of it.

Coffee and some good conversation at the bakery, then we went our separate ways.

Thanks ST crew, for another great ride. See you in two weeks for ST 6.1 – ‘The saga continues’.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
xronly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
howdy everyone,new to this site but been ridin a while,looking for people to ride with,snail trails looks like fun to me,just wanna find out how to hook up ?live in the caboolture area,jay,,xr 650 r

xronly screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 03:18 AM
xronly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:38 AM   #11
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,948
hi xronly
welcome! snail trails rides have slowed down a bit but there'll definitely be more this year. i'd find the following threads and subscribe to them so you can get an email the moment a new ride is posted:

Strumm's dirty rides for 2012

Snail trail rides in southeast qld for 2012

the dirty rides are dirt rides, not adventure rides.they are usually in glasshouse mountains and no prob on an XR650 if you are an experienced rider.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:46 AM   #12
xronly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
cheers mate,all sounds good,thanks for the reply
xronly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #13
Wasca
Adventurized!

Oddometer: 562
Talking New Snail Trail Participant

Hi Guys

I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Wasca (I'll let you know my real name if we meet in person ) I live on the north side of Brisbane Queensland. I'm very, very new to adventure biking and just today I obtained my Open RE Queensland Motorcycle License.

I'm planning on purchasing a new Yamaha WR450F very soon and I'd love to get involved with the Snail Trails group in order to build up my riding skills and meet fellow adventure riders.

I've watched the video that Strummer put up on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOcvqR2WR3w

It was a great confidence boost watching it, and I'd love to get involved in a ride similar to that in the upcoming months.

I also wanted to let any other potential new riders know about the great riding school I attended to get my license. The company is called Ride Smart. (http://www.ridesmart.com.au). Elliot was my trainer, he's a top-notch bloke that knows his bikes and how to get the most out of a rider. He's interested in making all his students safe confident riders. I can highly recommend them.

So any way, I've subscribed to this thread, just hoping that there will be an upcoming ride within the next month or so.

God Bless and ride safe all :-)

Wasca

Wasca screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 01:24 AM
Wasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #14
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 2,948
hey wasca
welcome to the asylum! as mentioned above, been a bit quiet lately as the main guys who organise rides are doing other stuff now.

could be worth linking up with the new guys in this thread who are starting to do some adventure riding around brissie...

Beginners offroad ride - Brissy Northside - Sat 13 Oct

here's no reason you couldn't just post the idea for a ride like these guys did, there's always a few guys at a loose end for the weekend who'll be happy to link up and show you around a particular area.

if you get a gps, we've put a fair few of our routes here for download, a mix of one, two and three day rides.
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:46 AM   #15
Wasca
Adventurized!

Oddometer: 562
Thanks B1

I've posted up in that forum thread so hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks again

Wasca
Wasca is offline   Reply With Quote