User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,365
Manhattan to Moab or City Blocks to Slickrocks

Ever since I first laid knobbie onto Slickrock Moab has been my favorite place to ride but the trouble is I live in Manhattan. All my riding buddies live east of the Mississippi too. For ages I've wanted to pull together an epic Moab adventure for my friends in Gotham and finally, this year, right now, it's happening. From an email invitation to 32 friends we've gotten down to 9 hardy souls willing to take a week off and hit the trail.

This ride report will be different than my others and hopefully just different as we have a good crew of tech savvy riders who can all post and shoot so I'm hoping that this will be a multifaceted multimedia report with everyone chiming in. Hopefully Flanny will spread a little of his magic as well. Many have never ridden "the west" and experience varies but we're all pretty decent riders. It's all small bikes - 250's to 450's.

Today we loaded 8 motorcycles into my pickup and Christian's trailer. Tom is driving them west one week early. Here's a quick time lapse of our load up:

Moab Loading from Gregor Halenda on Vimeo.

Here's your cast:

Gregor - facilitator, organizer, instigator
Flanny - GPS giant and media tycoon from the great white north
Tom - mover, shaker and young gun
Gino - Italian stallion and comic relief
James - Enduro nutter and all around rider
Chris - fabrication phenom and comeback kid
John - mysterious secret agent man
Christian - super fast east coast enduro and slickrock virgin
Clipper - former Dirt Bike editor and poetic wordsmith

We span 30+ years but we share a desire for one glorious week of riding in the west. Our bikes are somewhere in Ohio at the moment and we all fly in to Grand Junction where we will kick this thing off for real.

Buckle up your helmets!

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
Lee C
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Thumb

This should be good Ride safe and have fun
Lee C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:32 AM   #3
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,453

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
Stravoxylo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286

can't wait for some of those great photos. Only been to Moab once, and dying to get back out there.

Was recently in Max's BMW and saw some of your work hanging up! Recognized it from your Trans Lab adventure.
Stravoxylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Yee-haw...

Totally stoked that my bike is riding in the back of the truck, and not in the bike-grinder-mixer-moulinex you call a trailer...
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:42 PM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
This should be great

Old 10-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
x1valin1x
tommy

Oddometer: 72
Tom Checking in

Ok everyone, so I have made it to Colorado. I learned along the way that when I have a mission to complete I don't like to rest until that mission is completed. I treated getting out there much like a trucker haha. I only stopped to sleep or get food and when I stopped to sleep, I slept right off the highway ready to get up and start driving again.

On the way out I saw a lot of corn fields. I bought a gas can from Wal-mart that had a hole in it. I found out it had a hole in it when I started to fill it up. Later I returned a gas can to Wal-mart and got a new one.

I ended up driving a lot at night because I felt like I never did enough miles during the day.

When I made it to Colorado I was lucky enough to meet up with my Uncle John who had a friend named Gary that let me leave the bikes at his place. I had to take the bikes out of the bed of the truck and ditch the trailer because the truck started making funny noises on the way down so I wanted to drop it off at a garage and get it checked out.

So far Colorado has been great, I saw some elk.
x1valin1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by x1valin1x
Ok everyone, so I have made it to Colorado. I learned along the way that when I have a mission to complete I don't like to rest until that mission is completed. I treated getting out there much like a trucker haha. I only stopped to sleep or get food and when I stopped to sleep, I slept right off the highway ready to get up and start driving again.

On the way out I saw a lot of corn fields. I bought a gas can from Wal-mart that had a hole in it. I found out it had a hole in it when I started to fill it up. Later I returned a gas can to Wal-mart and got a new one.

I ended up driving a lot at night because I felt like I never did enough miles during the day.

When I made it to Colorado I was lucky enough to meet up with my Uncle John who had a friend named Gary that let me leave the bikes at his place. I had to take the bikes out of the bed of the truck and ditch the trailer because the truck started making funny noises on the way down so I wanted to drop it off at a garage and get it checked out.

So far Colorado has been great, I saw some elk.

Yee-Haw - Righjt on Tom! Good to know you're there already. That's Fan-F-in-Tastic!
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:45 PM   #9
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,883
Great first post
Old 10-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Hey guys

do us proud!

Gregor, whatcha packin' to catch photons? Same rig as the trans-lab or even more stripped down?
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:43 PM   #11
toofast4uu
adventurer

Oddometer: 968
Tom!! You are da man!!! Great job getting out there so quickly!!

Christian checking in here.....Man, I am stoked!!!

I still can’t believe that I’m actually going to ride in MOAB!!! None-the less ride my own bike!!!! Unfuknbelievable!!!!

Gregor’s not kidding when he mentioned he’s the “Planner and Instigator” of the group….LOL….and he wasn’t taking no for an answer… After declining multiple times, and going into work and witnessing a few lay-off’s, I went home and worked out a deal with my wife…It wasn’t easy... (in her words…”What are you crazy? Less then five months ago, you left me for 14 days!!! and you want to do what?? Your out of your mind!!!" Last May, I had just completed a 3,000 mile, 14 day off road ride from Phoenix to San-Francisco…That was to be the ride of the year for me… .and as far as she was concerned…that was it….for a long time.. But somehow..even Gregor was able to twist her arm.. This was just too good of an opportunity to turn down… and somehow, we sold the idea of an extended weekend to her....and I jumped at it! Ticket booked...that was Oct. 6..only two weeks ago.. These guys from NY don't kid around!!

That was “Part I”…I’m thinking we’re going to Dual Sport the 950’s and 650’s…Not this time….Within a few hours I’m getting links to you tube videos which quickly show this aint gonna be no dual sport…. and learn how technical the riding is out there…. We’re bringing the little bikes….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjTVF...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/v/kjTVFsmawOo?fs=1&hl=en_US"> name="allowFullScreen" value="true">http://www.youtube.com/v/kjTVFsmawOo?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

So now it’s time for Part “II” and the work begins…(bike preparation-because if you’re prepared, you won’t need it…);
  • Re-jet the carb, and thankfully James Dean (JD Jetting) personally comes to the rescue…
  • Next up we’re told that trials tires are the trick for riding out there….so Vee Rubber to the rescue…compliments of my friend Gary at SDR Race Tools
  • a few orders to MSR Racing (for a XC backpack, fender bags (to store my MSR fuel cells), and some more protective gear)
  • Soften up my suspension by swapping out my stiffer “Sand” springs, for the softer “Rock” springs….
  • And add on the Tugger Straps….(each day, someone in the group shares a link to a You-tube video…You gotta see the step-ups….I can’t believe some of the technical stuff….these will definitely come in handy…

The next two weeks are spent trying to figure out how to get my 2 stroke to meet the gas range of everyone else’s bike in the group... As of now, I’m somewhere in the 70-80 mile range…depending on how hard we’re on the throttle…and how the altitude affects my tuning… we’ll see how it goes… Nothing a 2litr bottle can't fix...

Guys, I can’t thank you all enough for including me on this trip …Rest assured, it’s going to be epic!!! By this time next week, the first day of Moab will be complete...i can’t wait until Friday!!!

Now to start uploading the GPS...and packing my bags...
Old 10-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #12
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer: 2,187
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast4uu
….Within a few hours I’m getting links to you tube videos which quickly show this aint gonna be no dual sport…. ........and learn how technical the riding is out there…. We’re bringing the little bikes….........Now to start uploading the GPS...and packing my bags...
Subscribed....have fun!
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #13
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock
do us proud!

Gregor, whatcha packin' to catch photons? Same rig as the trans-lab or even more stripped down?

I have a job in Aspen right after this trip so I'm packing a full Canon set up (there's more but that's what I have laid out now). I don't know if I'll want to carry 50lbs of glass on my back when I ride but I'll carry something. I also picked up a new POV for this trip: the Drift HD170 which should be fun to play with.

I think we have about 5-6 POV cameras between us so I think we're covered. Flanny is bringing the Flannyvision world along too. Tom has some Canon's as well and I think everyone has a point and shoot.

We are an embarrassingly high tech crew balanced out nicely by Gino who won't read his email.

This will be fun.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #14
gary5410
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Awesome....have a great trip!!!!!!!!!
'11 BMW R1200 GS Adventure '09 BMW G450 X '81 BMW R80 G/S '81 BMW R80 G/S Iron Butt #23417
My pics..... http://gary5410.smugmug.com/

And Nachtflug said, "gary5410, your bike no longer sucks. Have a cigar"
gary5410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #15
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama
...I'm packing a full Canon set up...This will be fun.

Gregor
Christ, that weighs more than you and your bike combined!

I'm curious to see what you actually end up carrying, and can't wait to see what you squeeze out of the kit.

We want action, drama, humor, and good looking babes* like yer last RR.

*something tells me we're not getting this one, nohow, noway...
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote