Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2010, 05:08 AM   #1
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Oddometer: 223
Eh? The ground up yz/wr/xt/tt adventure build

It all starts today
I have been recently prowling around various forums and web sites to steal idea's from more inspired people.

My decisions have been made and I have started down a path I can not return from.

I purchased a 1991 ex army xt 600 e after a quick engine spruce up (valve seals and rings) this was all that was required to get the motor running well and with no smoke. After riding and racing enduro bikes for a long time I was less than impressed with xt's handling and the way it wanted to tip into corners Then push the front wheel out during the apex of the corner.

It also had the weight of a overweight sumo wrestler. SO what to do about this situation?

I was luck enough to buy a tt 600 frame on ebay for a song It was already sand blasted and cleaned up ready to paint.

So I have Gone on a buying frenzy over the last month to start my desert warrior. I have made some fittings to start the rolling chassis the first was the lower bearing sleave to fit a standard yz/wr bearing race into the frame it is a good fit and this allows to use of standard readily available parts

Once i pressed the lower race in it fitted up perfectly and the lower triple clamp fitted perfectly

I also turned some adaptors to fit the yz swing arm into the frame this wasn't to hard the swing arm pivot bolt is 16mm and the yz is 18mm. The frame opening of the tt was only 6mm wider so this was not hard to fit this swing arm int the frame. I do not have any pictures yet but I will post them when I set up the swing arm linkages. I have made sleave's like this to keep all bearings close to the wr/yz standards because of there ease to locate.

The next step was to cut the old steel subframe off and get the frame ready for the future modifications (new top shock mount and the lower linkage mount) I have a wr250/450 subframe with an airbox and single carb which will get mounted properly over the coming months keep you eyes peeled

So without boring you people too much this is what I have roughly planned

So things are not set in stone but this is where I am going with this bike Lots of small fiddly bits to fabricate and fit but the end goal is set Melborne to Darwin off road the whole way!

My crazy bike build
yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:36 AM   #2
Airvent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Looks Great !

Whats the difference between the XT and the TT frames?
Airvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Flatulator
Banned

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airvent
Whats the difference between the XT and the TT frames?
yeah ... I thought the only diff was .... minor extra brackets and stuff for mounting the street legal stuff ?

... and move the remote oil tank from under the seat (TT) to out back next to the rear fender (XT)
(which ... I just realized I don't know why Yamaha did that - TT shock is bigger dia ?)
Flatulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
Podz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Looking forward to next update!
Podz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
I'm in for the whole shebang
JensEskildsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Can't wait for more!!!

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:40 AM   #7
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,208
Cool.

XL600R Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4+xl600r+build For Sale
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:56 AM   #8
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,208
with a title like this, i'm hooked
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:00 AM   #9
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,463
another subscription for a fellow WR owner :P
Old 10-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
Delta88
Knurly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by plugeye
with a title like this, i'm hooked
Same here.
Delta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:37 AM   #11
WILL_S
OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer: 2,052
Subscribed
Old 10-28-2010, 04:13 AM   #12
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Thumb Tonights work

The main difference between the xt and the tt in the oil resivour. The xt is a lot heavier frame, the stearing head angle is raked out a lot more (road orientation) and the oil tank is in the frame. The tt has the oil tank under the seat and a steeper head angle (off road orientation). The xt is a heap heavier as well. (I also didnt quite have the guts to cut the frame up either)

SO I got home tonight and straight out to the shed to turn up the top bush for the fork adaption job

I have put nickel anti sieze on the sleeve so it doesn't jam into the frame fitted everything up and

The forks I am using are off a 2004 wr 250 They were damaged and I had them re-chromed and revalved by Chad Talbot

http://www.chadsoffroadsetups.com.au/

Once I have the rolling frame going I will get an over all weight and send the rear shock to get revalved by chad to suit the adventure nature of the bike

When he did my YZ it transformed the bike from being a bit unstable and wanting to defect off every thing, to giving me heaps of confidence to hit things harder and made the bike much more stable in the bush.

My crazy bike build
Old 10-28-2010, 05:53 AM   #13
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILL_S
Subscribed
^^ ditto
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:59 AM   #14
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Talking cush back wheel (Needs a bearing)

Well I was at a mates place and we got talking about the dr650 back wheel and how it is very close to the ktm wheel and we sumised that the dr wheel had to fit the yz rear end so off I went to find a suitable set of bearings.

First hurdle the closest bearing to put the yz axel into the dr hub is an odd ball 47mm OD and a crazy 7/8 inch ID this puts the metric ID at 22.22
This is more than a loose running fit, not acceptable, so I had to fit some brass shim to take up the slack this worked ok for now.

I then had to make a few new spacers to put in the wheel no worries. Fitted the wheel up and low and behold the dr wheel is only 3mm narrower from inside disk to inside sprocket than the yz wheel, so if I make the internal spacer again 3mm wider and trim some off the two outer spacers the wheel will fit up to the yz rear end with no problems. If I get a dr wheel to run as a cush rear for this project (heaps cheaper option) I will re-lace with an 18 inch and change the offset to suit the whole setup

Can anyone help with a metric bearing 47 x 22 x 14 this bearing is not listed here at my bearing wholesalers but it has to exist I just know it does

My crazy bike build
Old 11-16-2010, 04:42 AM   #15
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,208
Maybe you could machine a little out of your hub and run these?

50x22x14 http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/CTGY/22mm

XL600R Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4+xl600r+build For Sale
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote