User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2002, 09:52 PM   #1
fish OP
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
BMW R1150RT Brake Rant

[rant]I'm pissed at BMW. I've got some issues with my RT that bmwscruz is doing an adequate job of addressing. But I'm pissed at BMW because of their stance on the RT brake issue. They redesigned the rear ABS modulator and cut it into new production some time back. But this doesn't piss me off. What pisses me off is that a particular individual over at mrn posted the TSB about the RT brakes, and BMWNA is coming down hard on him. I can't fucking believe it. They issued a recall for the 1150GS brakeline potentially rubbing on the speedo cable, but not a single word publicly about how the integral ABS senses rear wheel lock-up and releases the front wheel, causing some massive ass-puckering. I've experienced this time and time again, and have grown used to taking it easy in the downhill bumpy stuff, but I don't want to anymore. These are the best brakes in the world and should work as advertised. Too, what I've found is only the most aggressive RT riders complain about this. Average riders only see the massive stopping power in the brakes, but don't take them to the limit necessary to override the design. I wish I could be like that.

Shit...now the blue and white roundel helicopters are going to start watching me.

Can you believe my friend actually got a "cease and desist" letter
from BMWNA to take the image of the RT brake TSB off his website?
[/rant]

fish screwed with this post 08-24-2002 at 02:00 PM
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 09:55 PM   #2
Moot
Precipitate-Cognitive-Max

Oddometer: 617
Re: BMW Rant

Quote:
Originally posted by fish
[rant]I'm pissed at BMW. [/rant]

Easy bud... sounds like your ready to blow! (a fuse)

BMW (B)ecause (M)ary's (W)onderful.

* Blue (the only colour) R1150RT.
* Aussie fish fan club.
* Professional Rock & Roll enthuisiast.

"okay, I'm a smartass, point me to the post where you always manage to got the better of me" -- fish
Moot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 10:05 PM   #3
Rod
Wacko Ocker

Oddometer: 5,560
Bluhduh I too was shocked too here

I too was very shocked too here that my fellow BMW RT owners in the Good OLD US of A can not get the same level of service as myself over this brake issue.
The UPDATED brake modulator that Fish and others have read about in the that BWM realesed TSB...FIXED my brake issue.
To read that some one hass been singled out about this for making other's a where of a potential safty issue .....is nothing short of insanity
BMW get off your lazy ASS and fix IT NOW!!!!!!!!

"I told you I was sick" spike milligan 1918-2002
07 DLK V-strom
Ducati 750SS
'Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter... don't mind...And those that mind... don't matter.'
"to succed at the island you must be comfortable in the knowleged that you may leave in a pine box" Joey Dunlop ..RIP
www.Austouring.com

Rod screwed with this post 08-21-2002 at 11:01 PM
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 10:58 PM   #4
stevenknapp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
I'm a pussy rider, and my commute to and from work has a half dozen places where the brakes act as you describe. Takes nothing more than the usual "agressive" in traffic stop and a couple Chitown expansion joints.

As far as your friend getting fucked by BMW, perhaps a note to the press? MCN seems pretty up on publishing this type of stuff.

BMW sucks. But the build one nice bike...right? :):
stevenknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 08:00 AM   #5
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,727
maybe a class action suit on the ABS would get their attention

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 12:03 PM   #6
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
how about a little guerilla tactic? take the info, with pics, set it up with simple HTML tags and hand it out to anyone interested. Between all the free sites, my own site, various site I am affiliated with...I bet I could have a dozen copies up in an hour. multiply that by say a thousand users....

and are thsoe actual BMW amnufactired brakes? or some brembo item?
Old 08-22-2002, 12:25 PM   #7
fish OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Chopperman
and are thsoe actual BMW amnufactired brakes? or some brembo item?
The calipers are made by Brembo, even though they are BMW branded. Who makes the ABS modulator? F.A.G., I think. Is that correct Woofy? :):
Old 08-22-2002, 12:45 PM   #8
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
Quote:
Originally posted by fish

The calipers are made by Brembo, even though they are BMW branded. Who makes the ABS modulator? F.A.G., I think. Is that correct Woofy? :):
besides I dont think they can stop you from posting pictures of your own bike that you took. and they certainly cant prevent you from posting your evaluations, opinions, etc. as long as you arent slanderous or libelous (which I would have to re-look up the definitions of. I think it is the diference between "Fish is an embezzling sodomite" and "In my opinion, Fish is an embezzling sodomite"
Old 08-22-2002, 12:55 PM   #9
fish OP
Banned

I thought for sure there was a thread on the Integral ABS technical service bulletin, but I just cannot find it. Any ideas?
Old 08-22-2002, 12:55 PM   #10
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,727
if anybody has a copy of the BMW Service Bulletin 34 001 02 (012) concerning the brakes, please send me a copy. I may need it for future reference.

thanks

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:26 AM   #11
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
RT brakes

Fish, I haven't liked the way the "power" brakes leave the bmw bikes without much brakes if the key is off, but I wasn't aware of this problem. I don't have a BMW, but I do like the bikes and thought of getting one at some point. Has this been fixed on their newer bikes as far as you know? My general feeling about the beemers is that they are getting to a point that they are a little TOO over technical to a point that expensive things get to where they don't work right over time, and I don't want that expense or risk. Should I just stick with Hondayamakawazuki for efficient but simpler function?

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 12:28 PM   #12
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpower
Fish, I haven't liked the way the "power" brakes leave the bmw bikes without much brakes if the key is off, but I wasn't aware of this problem. I don't have a BMW, but I do like the bikes and thought of getting one at some point. Has this been fixed on their newer bikes as far as you know? My general feeling about the beemers is that they are getting to a point that they are a little TOO over technical to a point that expensive things get to where they don't work right over time, and I don't want that expense or risk. Should I just stick with Hondayamakawazuki for efficient but simpler function?

JDP

JD, you been sitting on that question for 2 years almost to the day???

Seriously, there are tons of threads on this. Search this forum, just be careful, you just punched Arch's hot button on this one.

Gordy
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 12:38 PM   #13
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
Search this forum, just be careful, you just punched Arch's hot button on this one.
Hey!

Old 11-06-2004, 02:39 PM   #14
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
BMW Brakes

Wow, I just noticed the date on this thread. I think I was just reading it from another forum or something. I apologize for not looking at the dates on the post. Sometimes I'm so far in the hole, I can't even afford to pay attention, LOL.

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 04:02 PM   #15
Rod
Wacko Ocker

Oddometer: 5,560
try these

brake links

links and this

"I told you I was sick" spike milligan 1918-2002
07 DLK V-strom
Ducati 750SS
'Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter... don't mind...And those that mind... don't matter.'
"to succed at the island you must be comfortable in the knowleged that you may leave in a pine box" Joey Dunlop ..RIP
www.Austouring.com
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote