User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Klr2tdf

I am planning to leave for TDF on 12/1 or 12/2.I will leave from El Centro,California on an 06 KLR. I planned to leave 11/1.But my mother suddenly became ill and passed away in October.

I think my bike is ready for the trip.But I haven't had enough time to decide on a route or POI's.I plan on about 4 months for the trip.I would like to ride some with other inmates.I think Throttlemeister is in Columbia now.Hopefully I will catch up with him sometime.And I think Sasper is taking a month to learn Spanish in Mexico.Should see you sometime soon.

So,if anyone is within this time frame and wants company,let me know.

Doug

Doogle screwed with this post 11-29-2010 at 10:34 PM
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 469
I'll be watching your progress, enjoy, take lot's of photos and post.

If I'm still in Costa Rica when you come through, I'll be glad to help in any way.

Buen viaje
2014 Ride Report: Ring of Ireland in 30 days
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
Alaskan Smoker
Wanderer

Oddometer: 40
Enjoy

Hey live it up don't hurry too much you might miss something. I planned 2 weeks in Mexico ended up staying 6. It is an amazing place I'm currently in Xela Guatemala for 2 weeks studying Spanish my buddy and I are both on 08 klrs and will be heading to tdf after feel free to send me a message with any questions good luck.
Alaskan Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

I am finally on the road.Had a late morning start.I crossed in to San Luis,Mexico mid afternoon and stopped in Sonoyta at about 7pm.On the map it looks like it is about 3 miles from Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument,Arizona.Not much English going on here though.Rode the last hour in the dark.I took the second hotel I looked at for $41.The first place was already full.Thought I might have to tent camp my first night.

I have had 2 bike issues so far.My GPS battery went dead.The relay terminal I had it feeding from was hot when the key was off and not when the key was on.My temporary fix was to attach it where my heated grips attach.

My other problem is my kick stand.With everything packed on the bike,the weight compresses the suspension enough that the bike is almost vertical.I will need to do something soon before someone leans against it,or the wind blows,and the bike falls over.

Alaskan Smoker,if you are in Guatemala for 2 more weeks,I may catch up with you.I want to get through C.A. before Christmas.I don't want to get caught in the holiday crowds.Hope I can get bike transit to Columbia.Are you all hotels or some camping?
Old 12-06-2010, 11:15 PM   #5
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Yesterday I rode to Mazatlan.About 480 miles,mostly cuotas (tolls),and not much to see.I was almost out of gas and suddenly no one took US $$$.I hadn't exchanged any money at the border and now regretted it.At my 5th Pemex station I got lucky and got a tank full.The guy told me I would be able to exchange at Mazatlan.The hotel I stay in exchanged $200 for me the next morning.

Today I rode 500+ miles.Riding to Tepic was a great curvy road that reminded me of Hawaii.Cactus,mountains,cattle in the road.I rode "libre" (free) through Guadalajara.But after being lost for 2 hours I paid $40 to ride cuotas the next 250 miles to Morelia.A friend of mine was there with his wife.They drove down from Cincinnati to explore some more Mexico.He rode TDF in 2004.It was just a coincident that our trips overlapped.But since he was there and I wanted to go there,I rode in the dark hours the last couple days.

As I rode into Morelia,I decided I would stay more than 1 night.It is very interesting.Tomorrow I will try to post some pictures rather than explain "interesting".
Old 12-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,058
I still can't believe you didn't take the harley!