User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
ride on joe OP
More Gas, More Beer

Oddometer: 119
Commute to Work? ATGATT

After working from home for almost two years, I will be working in an office starting Monday. I would like to live by ATGATT, but have a few questions:

If you ATGATT:
Do you change at work and keep all your gear at your desk / locker?
Do you have your work cloths under your ridding gear and keep all your ridding gear on you bike?

If you do not ATGATT, Do you slim down and only wear helmet and jacket?

I have TT side cases and Jesse top case, so I think I can just do a change in the parking lot, but a bit nervous about keeping my all of my gear on the bike. It all can be locked but...

The commute will be 32 miles a day and will be nice to keep the miles moving up.

Thanx,

joe

2000 1150 gs
1998 dr350
1993 dr350
2006 CRF50
ride on joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:49 AM   #2
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,195
It's nice to wear a generously over-sized Aerostich RoadCrafter 1 piece ($$$) over all your "work" clothes, and then just strip it off like Superman when you get to the office. Chicks love it, men will tremble, etc....Suit up for the trip home. Not so great in the Summer...
Old 12-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
frank_t
n00b

Oddometer: 6
I put my clothes, shoes, laptop, etc. in my top- and sidecases and change at work. I don't like to ride with my work clothes under my riding gear.

frank
frank_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
Tor
Native Viking

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_t View Post
I put my clothes, shoes, laptop, etc. in my top- and sidecases and change at work. I don't like to ride with my work clothes under my riding gear.

frank
Same here. I keep my work clothes in a bag in top box (I keep my casual work shoes at work,,,less to pack), and ride in wearing a Darien Suit. Then lock the office door, and change to work clothes. Riding gear hung up behind office door. Reverse for the ride home, shedding a layer as necessary. Rain, shine, summer, winter. I use the F8GS most of the time, and use the ST13 only when the temp drops below "no fairing" level.

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelnde-Strae
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
JUNAC
Straight Shooter

Oddometer: 656
ATGATT and some Angels saved my life recently. There were two things that I never forgot from my motorcycle safety course, head checks and ATGATT. If it's too hot for ATGATT, then don't ride. I never rode without it. People at work would laugh when I rode in 95 degree heat, that didn't matter. I used to change when I got to work. If I ever ride again, there is no question what I will be wearing. ATGATT!!! Click the link below to see my story.

KTM 950 ADVENTURE MUSCLE BIKE

XR650L WITH THE ARMY BOXES...R.I.P.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640254

JUNAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
I've got a 30-mile commute. Work dress is casual, so no problems for me wearing something under my gear, but sometimes when it's hot I just wear MX-style knee/shin guards under my firehose jeans. One trick for me is to keep a spare pair of pants, a belt, and a comfy pair of shoes at work. That saves me forgetting to bring pants if I'm wearing mesh pants in the summer, or forgetting shoes. Also, the pants come in handy if I get soaked for some reason on my ride (sudden thunderstorm).
Old 12-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #7
Giuseppe
Medium-Viz

Oddometer: 469
My commute is about 25 miutes between two suburbs. I wear my FD uniform to and from work, so I just put a jacket and overpants on over that: Mesh in the summer and heavier stuff in the winter. My only compromise on ATGATT is the boots. I wear thick leather steel toe lace-up boots at work so I'm comfortable riding in them. I've got a locker at the station, so I can stash my riding gear in there during my shift. When I have to travel to fill in at another station, I store my riding gear in the panniers.

R1200GS ready for work:

Boots, coat, and pants on the seat. Fire helmet, mask, workout clothes, sneakers, and toiletries in the boxes.

I do love my life!
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:52 PM   #8
Crash-Resistant

Oddometer: 125
ATGATT.

There's no reason not to. Wear a backpack if your stuff doesn't fit anywhere else. Buy a topcase. Don't make excuses!
Old 12-05-2010, 09:14 AM   #9
CBBaron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
ATGATT for my commute.
I wear overpants and a jacket over my work clothes and leave my shoes at the office. Most of my gear just hangs in the office. When the weather is nice I sometimes leave the helmet and gloves on the bike in a locking trunk. However dress code at work is flexible and our parking is secure.

Craig
CBBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 999
Motgatt

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #11
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,797
I don't often ride to work, but when I do I just wear my textile gear over my clothes and keep it in my office. But I don't wear nice clothes at work (machine shop) so meh.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #12
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride on joe View Post
After working from home for almost two years, I will be working in an office starting Monday. I would like to live by ATGATT, but have a few questions:

If you ATGATT:
Do you change at work and keep all your gear at your desk / locker?
Do you have your work cloths under your ridding gear and keep all your ridding gear on you bike?
I used a one piece riding suit and wore it over the clothes (but I work in jeans / shirt). And I keep it in the office.

In the summer, I sometimes just wear jeans. This is the summer outfit:

- Jeans with Motocross knee protectors (velcro)
- Riding Jacket
- Helmet
- Gloves
- high hiking boots instead of riding boots (I have dual sport boots that are high and warm)

I generally like the MX stuff as you can convert pretty much everything to have decent protection. Road rash might still be a problem though if you are too adventurous.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #13
GSDonovan
There and back again

Oddometer: 829
I commute daily on my GSA....I pack my work clothes (biz casual) loosely in a plastic bag to minimize wrinkles and put that into an empty pannier. I leave dress shoes and a belt at work....I change into my work clothes in a nearby empty high wall cube. I then stick my head under the sink in the bathroom to wash out my helmet hair. Sounds like a hassle, but I have it down really well. I have a 30 min ride to work, so its worth it for me. If my ride was 5 or 10 min, I probably wouldn't bother with riding.
GSDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #14
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,640
I am so glad I wear scrubs at work. Short hair and scrubs make life easy. You can wear anything over them.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #15
ddreger
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I have a 45 mile commute. ATGATT for me. I pack my work closes in a plastic bag in a side case and change at work. It is important to do this as in the summer sweat will ruin your work cloths, and in the winter the crotch-leak in the 1-piece roadcrafter suit will force embarrassing conversations about "accidents."
ddreger is offline   Reply With Quote