User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2010, 07:50 AM   #1
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Honda 550x4 to Mexico

Well I've finally got the time to play with this... it's winter and the ride's long been over.... the pictures are here.... I'm here and I'll invite some of my butthead buddies along for the ride...

What we have here is a failure to plan .... or a plan to fail.... I'm not sure which... but we're going to have fun.... we're going to drink, carouse and generally blow off a bit of steam.... Or not... and we'll have an exercise in mechanical mayhem... We know the truth since the trips long been over... but we'll let it unfold for you as it happened.... Basically it's going to be 4 idiots riding to Mexico from Southern Alabama and back sorta....

The Back story...... As a heavy smoker ( 3-4 packs a day ).... I'd got on a bike and rode for 3 days to quit.... I came home without the habit... but the addiction was brutal.... one of the things I'd promised myself is that if I made it 1 yr without a cigerette I'd treat myself to another bike trip .... but one of epic proportions.... something serious... like Belize or some silly poop.

So the bike....well... I had this cool little 550 Honda that I'd been whittling on and it was more then adequate for running around town and showing my ass...... hell got to the point that I really liked the stupid little thing....reliable fun... light wieght... and kinda sexy....( oh come the hell on... I'm telling this story... ) So anyway.... Since it was old... I should get me a parts bike....

What ya think.... continue?
KeithTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,062
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
Yukoner2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Continue, only if the weather is warm.
Yukoner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Well 550 Honda's are like patato chip's... you can't have just one.... So I decided I needed a parts bike.... Freaking E-bay is going to be the death of me..... ( or so says my wife ).. ( she really used a term just like that )....

I find a seller in Indiana willing to part with a Cherry 1976 550 Honda for the current bidder price of 183 bucks.... Yep.... 183... Hmmm and I have a good friend that lives right near there.... and he's coming to Maxton isn't he??? oh hell that'll work.... ( the 3' tall pink sissy bar wouldn't fit in his Van so we didn't get the "Whole bike"...) one week later this thing runs like stink.... better then the first one actually.... here's a picture of #2 as I called it....

Funny as it might seem I didn't really get a lot of pictures as I was acquiring these things nor did I really have a plan or scheme in mind.... I was honestly just looking for a parts bike.... Hmmmm and as you can see #2 was just as nice as the first one... and honestly with 7800 miles on it's clock it was better then #1 with 30k ....

KeithTurk screwed with this post 12-21-2010 at 03:18 PM
Old 12-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

Okay now I have an issue..... I've got 2 decent running 550's and genuinely need a Parts bike.... ... I mean come on... the damn parts for these things are selling for more then i can buy a bike for.... shoot.... Hmmmm

Back to E-bay,... what to find... what to find....... Okay now this is to weird... but there is another baby poop brown 1976 Honda right here in Lovely Downtown Alabama.... well actually it's up North in some little hick town just off the interstate...not more then 50 miles off as I recall... but pretty close to the middle of nowhere.... or at least you could see no where from there.....

225 bucks later I'm the High bidder and WINNER.... ( did ya hear that Honey... I won it.... I won the bid.... ) ( this to the sound of a ratcheting shotgun )....

Look I need a parts bike and the color even matches...

So I go up there to pick up my favorite new 550 honda parts bike.... This to supply the 2 550's that I already have.... and I meet this guy.... Long hair hippy type guy ... but he rides Motorcycles.... you know... them 2 wheel things with handle bars and such...... Oh and he's loading up a trailer with 3 of his closest friends .... and it's STUFFED full of bikes.... all kinds of bikes... this biker type dude... well surely he's not wait a minute... you ride them WHERE???

Yep... it is Guzzi Doug who has become RTW DOUG on here ( Round the world Doug ) ( the Harley chopper and the Indian... so on... ).... he's selling me this clapped out 550 Honda that really isn't much to look at.... but Hey.... it's a parts bike... how good does it have to be... ( I'm not sure it had Carb's ... but maybe.... anyway) (here's Dougs hang out page if you've not seen it... he's got a bazillion more but this is a cool thread ... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516355 )

So I get it home and start to whittling on it... and within a couple of days it's running like stink.... I mean this thing while not as pretty it is every bit as Disco Bitchen as those first two.... Yep... I've got 3 count them 3 550 Hondas.... Hmmmm

Your Hero, to wife.... " No sweets ... I have no idea... but I need them... Please Put the Gun DOWN "....

I'm not going to bring it up this week.... but " Honey... I really need a Parts bike"..... Hmmm

Here's Number 3 you can tell cause it's got a 4 into 1... and sounds Bitchen ... ( you can hear it can't you? )

KeithTurk screwed with this post 12-21-2010 at 04:38 PM
Old 12-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
KeithTurk OP
Studly Adventurer

#4 is another e-bay gem.... only this time... she really is a parts bike.... seized up tighter then a Nun.... and well she could look some better... only she could look a LOT better.... tanks been beat on some.... and it's black... but I've got this brown one I bought on E-bay.... hmmmm and wait...... I wonder if it will turn over with a little back and forth with the ole Marvel Mystry oil..... Nahhh come on.... YEP.... she's a runner.... ( okay maybe not really a runner... but Sorta... bit of smoke here and there....but dang ).... The fairing was Free as it came in a parts stash for another bike and the Bags I got at Barber for 30 bucks.... so total investment less then 450 with the bags, fairing, crash bar, Tires and Chain...
( one might notice the token quiet Harley pipes some pirate took off instantly ... which means we get great chrome pipes for FREE )
Hmmm Hmmmm

Here's number 4 not how I got her... but how I fixed it her up over the course of about 2 weeks.... it's a VERY rough bike...but not horrid....

I did mention a trip in here didn't I..... so... Belize is out... cause the situation down there had just really started to deteriorate and my pee pee started shrinking.......

KeithTurk screwed with this post 12-21-2010 at 03:50 PM
Old 12-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #7
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithTurk View Post

What ya think.... continue?
one of my favorite bikes. not sure why but 550 4's float my boat in a big way. Love em. Continue please.
nachtflug is online now   Reply With Quote