Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 876
Solo Solo 2011 <Vegas to Reno> <Baja 1000> Slow Man Racing for a charity

Happy 2011 everyone...

Years of dreaming about it and a false start on racing the Baja 1000 in 2000 have led to this year. I’m planning a solo attempt at Baja this fall with a little shakedown run at the Vegas to Reno in August. I don't claim to be the fastest rider (especially after 30 miles of whoops), but I love longer races and rides and tend perform better as things get tougher and longer. There is some chance that I'm getting into the deep end a bit, but I've done my research and put the stake in the ground for 2011. My goal is to finish both races with the V2R really being a warm up for the big show to test my setup, training and logistics. So you can get a picture of the sucker with the plan, here is a picture of me with a dirt mustache after the Utah national a couple of years ago.

Also, here is a link to a ride I did this past year that has some more pictures just for fun...

Cheesy Riders - Conquering the West

I’ve done some writing in the past and hope to use this experience as either some fodder for more fiction writing or perhaps an article in a magazine somewhere. Hence the value of the experience as opposed the finishing position. I’d certainly love to see motorcycle racing get some attention in Men’s Journal or a similar ‘check-out stand’ magazine where an interesting story along with some fantastic photos might prove to be some fresh content for them. We’ll see what happens; I’m a long way from there right now.

Like many people here on ADV I have a pretty full schedule with a full time job, a young family and a brutal addiction to two-wheeled activities. Fortunately though I like to try and pack a lot into a day and my sleep requirements seem to be less than the norm. To get a better picture of my support system, here is a picture of my great friend Chris and my number one sponsor, my wife.

The most exciting part of this adventure however, is that I am tying this adult silliness to a program for driving some donations to a local charity, the Salt Lake City YWCA. This is a really excellent local group (though certainly they are a part of the national YWCA) that focuses their energy around helping women and their young children get their lives back in order especially as it relates to domestic violence. Many of these women are running from bad situations where they have little resources or options. The YW provides a powerful environment as a baseline for these ladies to start again. They are a great local group adding value to the community who could use more local support and attention.

My plan is very simple. Anyone who donates to the Salt Lake YW will get their name on my race bike for the V2R and the B1000. By supporting this charity these people will get to race with me and they will really be the best sponsors someone could ask for. I really hope over the next months I can drive enough attention to this effort to get most of the bike and maybe even my gear covered with names. That would be the most fantastic sight rolling across the starting line in Ensenada. I’m not taking any of the donations for the YW myself. I’m letting them handle it through their website and I’m just going to let the donors email me when they’ve made a contribution. Likely some bad Karma for anyone who abuses that honor system!

So that’s it really. I wanted to get this thread started so I could use it as a rolling journal over the next few months as I get ready, keep training and enter some local events. You can read a little more about the YWCA donations and watch them tally up at my website www.fishwrites.com and I certainly welcome any ADVrs who want to make a donation and get their name on my bike for the ride. Also, if anyone is hung up on donating to their local YW chapter instead of the Salt Lake chapter, I’d be ok with that if it makes the difference between donating or not. I’ll still put you on the bike; it is certainly a worthy group for contribution.

It’s time to go now. With all of the snow on the ground I need to get back to what seems to have become my yearly dates with Tony Horton and his group of P90x superstars.

So sit back and enjoy the ride to the Baja 1000 with me and in the process perhaps we can drive some attention to a good cause along the way...

-Phil Walker

pilo screwed with this post 01-13-2012 at 09:27 AM
pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,398
subscribed... good luck and honorable!
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
Whatever Dood
No title available

Oddometer: 29
You Go Pilo!

I'm proud of you dude.

Whatever Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Have fun! I did v2r solo for my first-ever desert race (have done a little bit of east coast racing a decade prio) and virtually first time riding in the desert. I had a blast and even surprised myself with the results

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
nxdirtbag
Commuter Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
You go Pilo. I will be staying tuned and maybe I can join you for a little practice riding back here in WV soon.
My friend Pilo's adventure book
nxdirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
pilo OP
Rhymes with below

Oddometer: 876
Update

Nothing huge happening here. Lots of training and cardio. I've been traveling quite a bit so that makes it hard, but I'm averaging about some type of exercise about 70% of the days. I've done a lot of training in my basement, but I've also tried to spend some time showshoeing up in the mountains behind my house for a different workout. I've ridden only a little since we still have snow and wet out here. My last ride my legs felt really strong though, compared to my past winter hibernations...the running and plyo I'm doing seem to be paying off.

I got some new backgrounds for the 450x for the local desert races so I can hit a few of them. A little more detail on my website if anyone is interested.

My friend Jesse was also playing with front lighting against the sun. Kind of cool...

pilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #7
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
Anyone have a drawer full of these (like me) they are not going to use anytime soon? I could use a few more stickers (any kind will do) to drag with me down south to give to the kids and toss the way of the Federales if needed. Let me know and I'll paypal for shipping.

I have one wrc sticker.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilo View Post
A good friend made this for me to put on the pit shirts and the race bike grahpics.

And sell some stickers for some last minute gas cash....
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
miguez
Miguez Rally Racing

Oddometer: 477
Go Phil!

My 2012 Vegas 2 Reno adventure (on a 990 Adventure) starts here!
miguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
miguez
Miguez Rally Racing

This is awesome. What time is sunset right now in the Baja region?

Old 11-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #11
AngryShawn
Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguez View Post
This is awesome. What time is sunset right now in the Baja region?
Sunset in Ensenada is 4:45pm today.
D-36 AMA #196F - Supermoto USA #47 - BITD #379 - MCMA #430
AngryShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #12
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryShawn View Post
Sunset in Ensenada is 4:45pm today.
Pacific Time = Ensenada Time

And I've been watching the http://www.race-dezert.com/home/2011...-live-coverage site......the trophy trucks had quite a delay in their starts but they are coming......stay the course Phil......and stay out of their way........

BTW, I haven't been able to find an active feed for the Weatherman.....has anybody else?
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:37 AM   #13
miguez
Miguez Rally Racing

Still driving to Utah, just stopped for gas and checked Phil's Spot, showing an update 14 minutes ago, YEAH! Keep digging deep Phil!!!

Old 11-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
miguez
Miguez Rally Racing

The suspense is killing me!

Old 11-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #15
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguez View Post
The suspense is killing me!
x10.............I'm going for a long walk......I'd go for a ride but 'effn' snow......hope for some good news when I check back in...........
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote