ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
Porter79 OP
Ranger

Oddometer: 104
Need a little regional help! (not motorcycle related) Manzanita!

Hi & Thanks for taking a look at my WTB / Need a little regional help! (not motorcycle related) ad!!!

I am in need of Manzanita branches for my wedding center pieces and for decorations. I posted an ad about this in the beginning of 2011 but we had to postpone the wedding until May 2013. I am interested in finding a location and cutting some as soon as possible (next couple of weeks).

If you know anything about harvesting/cutting Manzanita in a National Forest with a permit please let me know.

I would be willing to pay (not a lot) or trade some motorcycle stuff (helmet, jacket, pants, GPS, etc.) if you have any growing on your property that you would let me cut. I don’t need a lot but enough to make some center pieces and decorations for the ceremony/after party.

I live in the Las Vegas area and would be willing to travel +5 hours to your property and would likely bring my travel trailer to stay in the local area for the night. We are going to try to make this into a short 3-4 day mini vacation and Manzanita harvesting trip since we haven’t been on a vacation for a while.

I have included some pictures and information from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manzanita).

Thanks!!!

Thank you to all the guys that sent me some responses. I could really use some help in getting this figured out done.

Porter79 screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 11:58 PM
Porter79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
Completely on topic for me

My daughter just got married in NorthStar. (Tahoe) Her centerpieces were made from manzanita too. (painted white though)

Manzanita grows in the foothills of most of our California mountains, so you may have to drive a ways to find some. It is usually just below the line where pine trees start. There may be a chance of some up near Bryans Head Utah. Try that forum to see if any inmates know.

As a kid we were told that it was illegal to cut manzanita.. because of its beautiful red color it made sense to us, but I have never comfirmed this is true or not. My daughter's husband has land in northern California where we got ours. They live in Placerville where there is tons of manzanita and they drove 4 hours to get it ??? I'm just not sure.

Good Luck and Congrats on the wedding
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
PukaWai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
There is quite a bit of it growing in the backcountry around Big Bear (So Cal), but you'll only find it in a rather narrow elevation band. I inquired at the ranger station about getting some for a woodworking project I had in mind and they told me I could get a permit to collect some, but that was a ... few ... years ago. Some was also in areas open to firewood cutting, and permit for that was $15/cord, but only for dead material. The thin red bark usually peels off if the bush dies and dries out, but then I gues you'd call it manzana podrido . And yes, you can ride your motorcycle out there, so its not of-topic!

PukaWai screwed with this post 01-06-2011 at 11:13 AM
PukaWai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
bikeslut
adventurous stud

Oddometer: 1,513
an unofficial internet search about manzanita always says it is illegal to cut, burn, harvest, yadadada...

I have several growing on my property... how much are you talking?
Old 01-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
wrk2surf
BITD/Rallye

Oddometer: 5,951
its as plentiful as poison oak here.. come on up yosmeite is nice now..
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
Porter79 OP
Ranger

Thanks for the reply's (spafxer, PukaWai, bikeslut and wrk2surf)

Bikeslut- Depends on how far you are from Las Vegas. I dont really want to drive 8+ hours but if you are closer maybe we can make a deal. There are only a few protected species that grow on the Cali coast.

wrk2surf- I was just in Yosemite for 3 months. Thanks for reminding me that I am stupid and I should have cut some when I was out there. Oops.

Anyone closer to Las Vegas know where some grows that is accessible?

Old 01-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
LeftCoastMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Redwoods and manzanitas are protected species in California, and, believe it or not, manzanita is more protected than redwood. You actually cannot own a branch of manzanita.

You can't even remove it if it's on your own property. I'm sure no one cares, but why don't you take a protected species off some land in Nevada. I'm sure they don't care either.
An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An atheist believes that deed must be done instead of prayer said. An atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanished, war eliminated.
LeftCoastMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastMan View Post
Redwoods and manzanitas are protected species in California, and, believe it or not, manzanita is more protected than redwood. You actually cannot own a branch of manzanita.

You can't even remove it if it's on your own property. Unless it's ripped out to build a massive project that the state can tax the shit out of! I'm sure no one cares, but why don't you take a protected species off some land in Nevada. I'm sure they don't care either.

Uh Oh, I think I hear the Manzanita Police at my door
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
Porter79 OP
Ranger

Quote:
Quote:

You can't even remove it if it's on your own property. I'm sure no one cares, but why don't you take a protected species off some land in Nevada. I'm sure they don't care either.

Just wanted to clarify the legalities associated with California Manzanita.

According to the California Department of Fish and Game (DFG) there are 61 species of Manzanita in California (1).

There are only 11 species of Manzanita that grow in California that have some form of state of federal protection according to DFG (2).

So the other 50 species are not protected as rare, threatened or endangered.

Manzanita is sold throughout California and the west coast. It is readily available for purchase from many online companies based in California.

Wikipedia link with lots of information on Manzanita
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manzanita).

(1) http://www.dfg.ca.gov/biogeodata/cnddb/pdfs/SPPlants.pdf
(2) http://www.dfg.ca.gov/biogeodata/cnddb/pdfs/TEPlants.pdf
Old 01-18-2011, 07:18 AM   #10
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,152
in ElDorado county (Placerville, ect.) many property owners would PAY you to cut down a few acres of it. if you wanted some scotch broom, you could probably get knighted if you discovered a way to get rid of it. JB
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #11
Porter79 OP
Ranger

Bump

Bump. Still need help. Please read original post. Thanks!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,259
junglemototours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
Kali Trailrider
PLATED X2

Oddometer: 457
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglemototours View Post
I can name that trail.. Just Outstanding!!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #14
junglemototours
trailplug

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Trailrider View Post
I can name that trail.. Just Outstanding!!
Sorry, guess again.
junglemototours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #15
RocknTroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 721
Little farther than 5 hours, unless you drive real fast, got a place east of Redding CA All the manzanita you want.
If you want give me a shout, heading up there tomorrow fer the weekend.

"Stay smart. Don't put your stupid hat on at this point in time... " Gov. Pat McCrory
RocknTroll is offline   Reply With Quote