Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #1
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Oddometer: 313
The Saga of Sportsman Matt and the Big Ruckus

OK, so here goes....

Years ago I used to ride dirt bikes, borrow a bike from a friend and ride, back in the days when as long as you weren't bothering anyone, no one noticed, and no one bothered you having your fun.

Then time passed and I was on a camping trip back in October of '10, and one of my fellow camping enthusiasts brought along a couple 50cc scooters with the 125cc engines installed. We rode for 3 days around Salem, had a blast and fun.

Then In November of '10, I bought one of my own, a 06 Shanghai Meitian MT50QT-2 50cc scooter with a blown engine.

Now not being unskilled in mechanics, I bought a new engine, tore it down along with the old engine, and rebuilt it into a 82cc powerplant for the little red scooter.

But I just wasn't satisfied. So I decided I would look at motorcycles or larger scooters. I got lots of info on 250cc motorcycles, and visited several dealerships along the way.

Then by chance I met a salesman named Brad from Parkway Cycle at the Motorcycles, Midgets, and Mayhem Tour Motorcycle Expo in RI. He asked if I would be willing to take a trip up to Everett,MA to look at what he had for inventory.

So after several failed attempts, I made it up there to look originally at a 2006 Kymco Xciting 250. I wasn't too impressed, it was just a little oversized for me and there was a concern with a health condition I have developing, something I know will affect my riding in the future.

So I looked around and saw the 2011 Honda Ruckus, a cute red machine, but only 50cc. Then I saw the Yamaha Zuma. Those dual headlights on those scooters just scream out "come ride me, and bring the 30-30 so we can jack a deer tonight!" It's just cool looking. Then I mentioned the fact that I liked the Ruckus but was looking for a Big Ruckus, something that was very rare to find in the area.

Ss Brad told me to follow him upstairs into the motorcycle loft.

There it was... a 2006 Honda Big Ruckus with 4k on the odometer.

So we made the deal, a couple more trips and that Saturday I brought it home from the dealer.

Then Saturday I remembered how tough it was to keep a bike level on snow. Sunday wasn't much better.

And today I have the tag for it. (Downfall was $325.94 for sales tax, title, and registration....glad I only have to pay the title and sales tax on it once)

Now I'm sitting here, thinking about my new BR, thinking about the trips I will take, and the accessories I'll need to make my adventuring life easier.

More to come......
Sportsman Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Way to go!

Sportsman Matt, your going to have a Blast!
windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,163
Whew. You scared me. When I read the "Then I remembered how hard it is to keep a bike level in the snow...." I thought something bad had happened.

Congrats on the bike. Looking forward to some cool RR when the weather breaks.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #4
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Thanks guys, I wasn't trying to scare anyone with the snow riding, but that's what's so much fun about it. back when I was young and stupid (yes kids there was a time in life when people were young, and the stupid part, well just take my word for it, as most people forget to grow out of the stupid part) I used to take dirt bikes out in the snow with a couple buddies, we would do stuff like, see who could ride the edge of the snow bank the farthest at 25mph, or do donuts in the snow, or see who could make it up over the top of the snow pile fastest. Not the brightest thing to do as a teenager, but it sure was fun at times, plus two things. 1) if you actually did it without bodily harm, you were a god. 2) if you wiped out and crashed, you were ok, but talked about for months later (...remember when dufus tried jumping the snow bank and hit the side of the barn... or remember when dippy was riding and went end for end off the ridge into the stream that happened to be warmer than the air by about 2 degrees....)

I was lucky, I didn't wipe out anything then, and came close twice with a little rear tire wagging in the hardpack, but the BR did just fine.

Now the trick is to get it to the shop for an inspection sticker next week.
(although the lady at the MADOT told me that she didn't want to see me out riding or worrying about the sticker until spring)

Sportsman Matt screwed with this post 02-05-2011 at 08:20 PM Reason: spelling
Old 02-05-2011, 02:25 AM   #5
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,738
Now you can haught the total ruckus website. cool
Old 02-05-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Wow, I LOVE your Big Ruckus! You look great on it, it fits you very well!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:09 AM   #7
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Lessons learned on the road Wednesday

Wednesday's ride went ok, 42*F with a 30 MPH wind out of the East. Tried out the new HJC IS-MAX BT Helmet today, fit well, defogged as long as I was moving, and shielded me from the wind chill. So far still haven't gotten over 50 miles on the trip odometer since filling up the gas tank.

So the ride went like this. Rode out to get the mail at the Post Office, then called my father who was at work, invited him to lunch seeing he's out at Noontime, and it was 11:30am, rode out to local HD dealer, got offer to trade in Big Ruckus for HD 1200 Sportster Forty-Eight, looked around a few minutes in parts department, then met my father for lunch. Now riding up to now was into a 30 MPH head wind. After lunch, rode back home, cruised at 55-65 MPH the whole way, with a good tail wind.

Now what I needed to remember....

Wind chill chart for 40 MPH and 70 MPH winds, and my grey workpants are not warm enough for sustained 85 MPH combined wind chill factor, need to wear insulated pants for early summer riding. Also wool socks to keep the feet comfortable.

And remember to open vents on helmet before riding, and crack open visor when stopped to prevent fogging up.

And one last thing...write on thread before going to bed at 2AM ....and try to make sense....
IBA Member#48125 IBA Flag#1084 LDR Member# 432
2013 Victory Judge
I'm a man, and I can change, if I have, to I guess
Old 03-10-2011, 12:43 AM   #8
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,738
100 bucks buys new old stock textile pants for protection and warmth. ironpony.com motorcyclesuperstore.com http://www.motorcyclegear.com/
Old 03-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

FedEx Finally Came thru!

After 3 years of FedEx having the worse delivery record to my father's house (Finally they got a new driver who would actually drive out to this end of town whether he has one package or a hundred packages....)

They finally delivered my Aerostich order!

So here in the box I got a new Mr Happy puppet (for agravating the girlfriend at times) a new flashlight, a new screwdriver (phillips and slotted), the Dynaplug tubeless repair kit, some "if found unconscious" stickers for the helmet and a co-worker, and a couple books (Early MC construction and repair, Adventure MC Handbook, MC camping made easy).

Now with one order received, Still 3 more out there, one was shipped today (OEM Decals for the Big Ruckus and a OEM Sparkplug Wrench) and one I am really waiting for (ADV stickers)

Also put together the new ramp set I bought from Harbor Freight so I can load the scooters up in the truck bed for trips anytime. 2 steel 9"x6' tri folding ramps with a 500 lb capacity each, 1000 lbs combined (loved the warning about unloading 3 wheeled vehicles with them...basic NO NO!)

Planning out this weekend...Rain Tonight thru Sunday Morning, then cool (upper 30's) temperatures thru Tuesday. So I'm thinking, set up a duffle bag Sunday morning, ride down to the girlfriends place and hang out with the Big Ruckus down there for a couple days.

And before I forget, Thanks for the info fullmetalscooter, but I'll stick with my good ol' flannel lined denim work pants, something I should have had on yesterday rather than the thin cotton work pants I wear most of the time. I was impressed with the HJC helmet though, kept me pretty comfortable, and plenty of visibility behind both the drop down sunshield and the clear face shield.
2013 Victory Judge
Old 03-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman Matt View Post
And remember to open vents on helmet before riding, and crack open visor when stopped to prevent fogging up.
This is one thing I hate about full face helmets. They ALWAYS seem to fog up at slow speed and stops as well as in traffic if their closed. I think it'd be cool to have a breathing tube going out of the helmet!
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:30 PM   #11
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Plotting the course.....

So I'm sitting at home listenin to the news about the 8.9 Earthquake in Japan (I wouldn't wish these things on anyone) when the local weather came on. Forecast is Temps in the 50's, partly cloudy for the next 5 days....

So out came the atlas.... ROADTRIP!!!!

Then I remembered.....WTF....Work tonight and tomorrow.....then that insulation job Sunday Morning.......

So Sunday Afternoon, the plan is leave by 3PM, head north to see my kids for an hour...then head southeast to the apartment in Blackstone. Rest the night there.

Monday, ride over to meet co-worker at McDonalds for late morning McMuffin, take ride for a couple hours, drop off lunch to girlfriend at work (also get her P'd off at me for riding the bike there) Ride some more, then back for dinner at the apartment.

Tuesday, get up, ride back to father's place, change for work, have lunch, park bike, take truck to work.

So plans are in motion, I know I have 3/4 of a tank of gas in the Big Ruckus, 1/3 of a tank in the pickup.

Now just need to master taking pics while riding like The Darth Peach does. Need to remember "Don't Drop The Camera"
2013 Victory Judge
Old 03-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #12
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Storage issue partially solved.....

Pics coming tomorrow evening.

Went to the local Honda dealer today, had a nice set of Tourmaster saddlebags, but only in large, and I really need the XL size for the bike to make them fit right. Spoke to the fine folks at the parts desk, they are getting more bags in over the next 3 weeks...

So I decided to do what most Big Ruckus owners do when needing a quick fix for storage.....

Rubbermaid!

Picked up in the automotive department at Walmart the sealable and lockable 8 Gallon Rubbermaid Actionpacker Cargo Box, cost less than $20.00 with the Tax.

Should keep my stuff dry enough for most riding for now, just no passengers with the box on the back.

Pics to come, including tomorrow's ride (too busy working today to get out on the bike before work)
2013 Victory Judge
Old 03-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #13
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Sportsman Matt's Weekend Ride......

So I packed up Sunday afternoon for a ride....

No concerns as to where I was going, although I knew where I was staying the night....

So I rode out to one of my favorite fishing spots, Lake Singletary...

Still frozen over. So then I rode out to Blackstone, and stopped on the bridge to shoot this one.....

Water's still flowing fast....

Monday I got up, decided to run a couple towns over for breakfast.....
Stopped for gas....

And then rode off to McDonalds off Route 146A, riding the backroads all the way over......

Then on the way back.....Stopped by the town hall to pay the girlfriend's rather late Excise Tax on her SUV.....

Self Photo before riding home....

And the Big Ruckus sleeping well in it's cocoon for the night......

Tuesday it was too cold to snap pics, but the ride was just an ordinary one, rode home and unpacked, got lunch, and rode in to work for the evening.
2013 Victory Judge
Old 03-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #14
Sportsman Matt OP
Xtremely Bad Example

Sunday

A little personalization

But before the personalization, had to give rides around the yard to the daughters...(No Gear At All, of course riding slower than they do on their bicycles)

Smiles are priceless.....
2013 Victory Judge
Old 05-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
I saw this thread last year and had never heard of the model before. A week later an 05 came up for sale in Nova Scotia so i did a ride and ride (2600km trip documented on RidetheRock.com.). I just wanted to say thanks to you for giving me the info and inspiration. Damned thing is downright addictive.