User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,963
LC8 Adventure Second Fan Install

Why? I overheated my '07 KTM 990S Adventure last year when I was doing some very slow riding in the Nevada desert, at 100+F temps. The bike got so hot that even with the single OEM fan running full-time, the EFI sensors shut the bike down. Had to sit for 30min to cool down enough to start again.

When I spotted this ADVmachines Rally Fan Kit in Orange Crush a few months ago, I had to have it! This is my install of the second fan. Note that your exact wiring and plug arrangement may slightly differ from my 990, depending on your model of 990 or 950 Adventure.

This is what you get in the kit:

A nicely made fan mount bracket, fan attached to it, a small washer, a wiring harness, and well written instruction sheet.

Make sure not to lose the small washer, you will need it later.

First you have to remove the right side lower tank fairing. This involves 5 screws, and disconnecting a few wires and vent hoses.
One of my screws looks unusual because it's a TouraTech tank bag attach point.

This exposes the radiator overflow tank and right side of the radiator.

First take the two screws off that attach the overflow tank and rotate the tank 90 degrees and tie it in place if needed. No need to disconnect it.

Next disconnect the water temperature sensor wire to give more room to work in the area.

Rotate the oil tank vent line clamp tabs to face rearward so they will not interfere with the new fan, or dig into your hands when you are working in this area.

In this next picture, the red arrow points to the OEM left fan connection that you must get at and disconnect. The green arrow points to the EFI connector (on a 990) that I decided to disconnect to give more working room.

I disconnected the big connector and slid it off the frame tab mount and tied them out of the way.

Here's a better view of the OEM left fan connector that must be disconnected to install the new fan wiring harness in. The instruction sheet suggests holding the connector with a coat-hanger-wire hook and a long screwdriver to unhook, but I found I was able to reach all the way in with just my hand and disconnect it. Like all the bike connectors, it has a latch so it's a little tricky back in there.

This is the wire that was connected to the left-side OEM fan and is the fan power connector (i.e. bike to fan power) Just let it hang there for now.

You can see the fan plug way back there that you will need to plug the new fan wiring harness into. The connectors are arranged such that you can't plug them in the wrong way, and yes they are wired in parallel as they should be.

First I made a coat-hanger-wire tool to hold/PULL the left-hand side fan connector. That connector is loose and though I was able to unlatch and pull it off by hand, there was no way to hold it and install/push-on the new wiring harness by hand. Not enough room.

Then grabbed the rear of the connector with it.

Then I made another coat-hanger-wire tool to hold the new wiring harness to PUSH it into the left side fan connector.

Then a bit of fiddling and I was able to push the new wiring harness on way back there.

Whew, clipped in!

Plug the existing fan power connector into the new harness

and plug in the new second fan power lead into the the new wiring harness.

At this point I re-mounted and re-connected the big EFI plug.

Now it's time to mount the second right-side fan itself.

Remove the upper right radiator mount bolt.

The bolt that is removed looks like this. The little washer shown is the one that comes on the second fan kit.

Install the new fan bracket, note the upper mount hole.

Two views:

Place the little washer on the end of the upper radiator bolt. I put a little silicone rubber glue on the washer to hold in place while I installed it.

Then rotate the coolant overflow tank back into place and install the remaining two mount screws to hold the tank and the bottom two second fan bracket mount points. I also re-connected the water temperature sensor plug at this time.

Tuck all the wires in nice and tidy so they won't move up into the fan blades. That's it!

Re-install the right side tank fairing

and all done!

Go ride!

cyborg screwed with this post 02-19-2011 at 11:46 AM
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
RozzyCat
Bleeds orange

Oddometer: 440
Wow!

Nice job! Such great detail pics that I think maybe even I could install one now. But I'll probably wait until it's 100 degrees out.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Cyborg,

Excellent Post with Excellent pictures. Thanks for sharing.
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel

Oddometer: 2,297
Cool !

I realy should install that second fan soon.
to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,490
Thanks Cyborg for taking the time to create the content and write in a way that we can understand! Awesome job! Now if only it would get warmer around here...
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,963
Thanks. I have one or two trips down to the hot Nevada desert again this year, so I'll get to try it out!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,139
That's some great detailed installation instructions!!
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #8
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,204
Have had my 2nd fan kit for ages, will have to get around to installing it soon!
Old 12-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
xcflyn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakduk View Post
Have had my 2nd fan kit for ages, will have to get around to installing it soon!

Me too ! think I will mount it tomorrow (or the next . . . .day )
xcflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,023
Evans coolant

There are guys using Evans here at the shop that are getting as much as 28 degrees F cooler (digital coolant gauges) which is a lot

EDIT: I would not recommend Evans Coolants at this point as it is epxenisve (+$40/gallon) and your entire system musty be flushed with it to remove the old coolant. Also leaks past water pump seals & head gaskets on customer bikes. Smells bad. Emergency top-ups can only be with Evans, not water or coolant commonly available

of course I have the H2W 2nd fan kit & the lower thermostat on my bike really works to keep the temps down, and quickly. Fans go off pretty soon after coming on compared to one fan where it might run for minutes depending on just how hot (& slow-going) things are
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."

geometrician screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 12:37 PM Reason: Evans Coolant update
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #11
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,204
bumped so can find photos with other computer to do install.
edit: job done, had LHS & RHS tank off so it was easy peasy.

Blakduk screwed with this post 01-24-2012 at 08:47 AM
Blakduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #12
ImaginaryRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Finally!

I just installed this kit on my 2012 990 R. It appears to be the ADVMachines kit, but I got it from Craig at CJ Designs because I was ordering some other stuff from him too (what an awesome guy - that Craig!) Getting the splitter connector connected to the the OEM fan connector was a real challenge for me. I used the coat hanger technique because my hands are way to big to get that far in there and no women or children were available at the time of install. When I finally heard the connectors snap together after fumbling about with the homemade coat hanger hooks for about an hour, I bet you could have heard my celebratory scream 3 houses down... "OH YEAH!!!!"
I did not opt for the lower temp sensor, and I'm glad that I didn't. When the fans do come on, they only stay on for about a minute then then turn back off, which is often enough time to get back moving at speed again. With only one fan, that time was much, much longer and the cooling effect was obviously nowhere near as good.
This represents the end of a pretty long quest for me to get the bike to run cooler in low-speed situations. I tried new pipes (FMF Q4 Ti), a better flowing rad guard, Engine Ice coolant, burping/bleeding, all to no avail. I wish I'd have done this first.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,490
Laugh

I heard it here in the PNW

Yes, CJracer is reselling the ADVmachines Rally Fan. Yes, reaching across the bike through that small portal is a major PITA, especially when you are doing it with a coat hanger...

One of the things that I have found that helps is to pre-seat the fittings with the Rally Fan plug and the new harness before attempting to do it with the mr. gadget fingers (wire hanger). This will help line up the terminals in the plugs.

Alternatively it may be easier to remove the left side fuel cell, remove all the radiator mount bolts, the 5.2" fan mount bolts (to expose the electrical connector), then install the Y harness connector.

Once installed, it really makes a major difference (positive) in how well the engine manages it's heat!
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 964
Or wait till you are doing the valves. Plenty of room then...
I added a reworked shroud to mine to keep the heat out of the right fuel tank.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #15
ImaginaryRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Oz, I'd like to see/hear about your reworked shroud. I've been thinking of ways to make that work.