User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
alexcorral OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
It's Sunday in Chile

My plans to ride up to the border crossing into Argentina fell apart when all my possible riding buddies bailed out. So I picked a nice short ride, close to home where I knew I would find other riders and played it safe.

So I headed out to a riding zone called Nido de Condores (Condors' Nest):

The plan was to ride from the gravel road that follows the river in the valley and reach the top of the mountains that overlook Santiago. You'll see later why/how these plans fell apart...

Past the outlined track I found some amazing trails that lead into a nice plain in the middle of the uphill tracks:

So, after ignoring the wise advice from the other riders I decided to give it a shot up the rocky trail to reach the top:

And this is how it ended:

It was too steep and I had very little traction (damn anakees) which ended up in a bent shifter, scratched exhaust and broken clutch lever. So after a half hour wrestling with the napping pig I headed back home.
alexcorral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,231
Your bike is getting character marks the fun way
Old 02-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,292
Pls post more pics, dying to ride Chile....
Old 02-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
Martynho
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 399
Where does that ride start?

Alex,

Intrigued where that route starts I have been looking for good sunday routes from Santiago

Was out with on my KTM Adv990 with another inmate (Aurel) who was passing through here 2 weeks ago, this one starting from the Santuario de la Naturaleza.

http://www.vimeo.com/user5989038/videos

Just sold the 990ADV seen here but on the hunt for a new one. Should have one within a few weeks if you fancy going out. Looks like I may be facing a short 15-30 day "rest" from riding courtesy of the Carabineros though so may have to wait until after that.

Saludos - Martyn
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
alexcorral OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Alex,

Intrigued where that route starts I have been looking for good sunday routes from Santiago

Was out with on my KTM Adv990 with another inmate (Aurel) who was passing through here 2 weeks ago, this one starting from the Santuario de la Naturaleza.
Hey Martyn,

Im up for a ride anytime! I have had a hard time finding others to ride with off-road in Santiago. Most GS owners do not want to take their bikes on these tough rides.

I also do only Sunday rides as I can't take more than a day, or even a full day and leave the wife and daughter stranded at home. I normally ride out early and am back at home by 2:00.

This ride starts out of Nido de Condores (Condors' Nest) which is an enduro park on the road to Mina La Encantada. You would have to take the road that leads to Farellones and at the fork, instead of going up the twisties to Farellones you take a left. It will soon become a gravel road (watch out for lot's of mine trucks traffic) and 3.2KM after the fork you will find Nido de Condores on your left. You pay a $5000 fee and are good for the day to ride the track or the trails.

I wanna go back with someone else (this time I went alone) so let's plan for it when I get back from Panama. I'll be in Panama until 3/8 so we can plan for a ride on Sunday 3/13.

Your video of Santuario de la Naturaleza is great! I need to get my self a helmet cam Did you reach the lagoons (lagunas del viento)? I did that same ride all the way to the lagoons last month: Ride Report Here

Just send me an email at alexcorral@yahoo.com and we will plan a ride.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
alexcorral OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Pls post more pics, dying to ride Chile....
Sorry... No more pics of last Sunday's ride. But there are plenty more in my other Chile ride reports posted in the Parallel Universe F800 ride reports